How do add Carnival gift cards to sign & sail account?

mz-s

Just a heads up since this thread is about gift cards and I don't see this talked about to much. If anyone has those Visa or Vanilla gift cards, do not add them to your sail and sign account. We got a bunch for our wedding and we took our first cruise during our honeymoon in 2010. We added some the first night and then got a call before the night was over that we had to add more money to our account because of something called an "international swiping fee". Like I want to say they took close to $40 off our $100 visa gift card in fees..its insane. 

7 hours ago, matymil said:

Just a heads up since this thread is about gift cards and I don't see this talked about to much. If anyone has those Visa or Vanilla gift cards, do not add them to your sail and sign account. We got a bunch for our wedding and we took our first cruise during our honeymoon in 2010. We added some the first night and then got a call before the night was over that we had to add more money to our account because of something called an "international swiping fee". Like I want to say they took close to $40 off our $100 visa gift card in fees..its insane. 

We often use Visa or Amex gift cards to put money on our account when we board. While we never had a fee deducted for adding outside gift cards to our account, we have had problems getting them put on initially, and have had to return to GS when we did not see them added to our account, even though they gave us a receipt showing it was added.  Luckily we kept the cards in our possession, and the problem was handled.  If we had thrown the cards out, we would have been out the $$, or so we have been told.  We just got some more gift cards for the holidays, but will not be bringing them on our upcoming (1 week away) cruise.  Will use them at Disneyworld instead in May!!

1 minute ago, pe4all said:

We often use Visa or Amex gift cards to put money on our account when we board. While we never had a fee deducted for adding outside gift cards to our account, we have had problems getting them put on initially, and have had to return to GS when we did not see them added to our account, even though they gave us a receipt showing it was added.  Luckily we kept the cards in our possession, and the problem was handled.  If we had thrown the cards out, we would have been out the $$, or so we have been told.  We just got some more gift cards for the holidays, but will not be bringing them on our upcoming (1 week away) cruise.  Will use them at Disneyworld instead in May!!

Interesting. This was our first cruise and was 10 years ago so things definitely could have changed but we definitely never put them on our account after that. 

10 hours ago, matymil said:

A work around is, if you are sure you will use money on board, use those gift cards to buy cruise cash prior to sailing.  You'll get an email receipt and no need to visit guest services.