Time in port - 'Trade Routes of the Middle Ages' itinerary

Cleopatra99

I have searched but not found a specific answer .. is this itinerary essentially a re-positioning cruise and, if so, is the time spent in each port reduced / limited by the desire of the ship to get from A to B asap ?

For those of you who have undertaken the cruise (or anyone else who knows the answer/s) did you feel time in each port was adequate ? I have read reviews for this cruise - which are mostly very positive - but I am curious about this specific issue.

Thank you for any information.

April 2018 sailing 

Barcelona embarkation overnight 

Barcelona overnight 5:00 pm 

Cartegena 12:00 pm 6:00 pm 

Malaga 8:00 am 7:00 pm

Sea day

Leixos (Porto) 8:00 am 2:00 pm 

Sea day

Falmouth 8:00 am 6:00 pm 

Portsmouth 8:00 am 6:00 pm 

Le Harve 7:00 am 8:00 pm 

Zeebrugge 12:00 pm 6:00 pm 

Amsterdam 8:00 am 6:00 pm 

Sea day 

Bergen 8:00 am overnight 

Bergen overnight disembarkation 

It was generally enough time for an introduction, the tours are scheduled accordingly. It was a great cruise, we made all the ports and the seas weren’t too rough. Really appreciated the sea days As a break from the touring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuntieWerewolf10 said:

It was generally enough time for an introduction, the tours are scheduled accordingly. It was a great cruise, we made all the ports and the seas weren’t too rough. Really appreciated the sea days As a break from the touring. 

Thank you - the times in port and your overview comments are just what I was after (I do note some changes in current itinerary).

Edited by Cleopatra99
extra

Trade Routes September 15, 2020

The invoice says:

Sept 16 - Bergen departing 6 pm

Sept 17 at sea

Sept 18 Amsterdam - 8 am to 6 pm

Sept 19 Bruges 8 am - 5pm

Sept 20 Le Havre (Paris) 8 am - 8 pm

Sept 21 Portsmouth  7 am - 6 pm

Sept 22 Falmouth 8 am - 6:30 pm

Sept 23  At sea

Sept 24 Porto 8 am - 6 pm

Sept 25 at sea

Sept 26 Granada  8 am - 6 pm

Sept 27 Cartagena 8 am - 6 pm

Sept 28 Barcelona arrive 1 pm

Sept 29 disembark

Edited by geffric

We sailed this itinerary in October of 2018, from Bergen to Barcelona. The times in port seem to be different based on my memory. I will try to locate my original paperwork just to satisfy my curiosity. We did love the cruise.

Ah, I see geffric has posted another version of the timing already. It must vary based on the direction of the cruise.

Edited by lackcreativity

5 minutes ago, geffric said:

Trade Routes September 15, 2020

The invoice says:

Sept 16 - Bergen departing 6 pm

Sept 17 at sea

Sept 18 Amsterdam - 8 am to 6 pm

Sept 19 Bruges 8 am - 5pm

Sept 20 Le Havre (Paris) 8 am - 8 pm

Sept 21 Portsmouth  7 am - 6 pm

Sept 22 Falmouth 8 am - 6:30 pm

Sept 23  At sea

Sept 24 Porto 8 am - 6 pm

Sept 25 at sea

Sept 26 Granada  8 am - 6 pm

Sept 27 Cartagena 8 am - 6 pm

Sept 28 Barcelona arrive 1 pm

Sept 29 disembark

Excellent - this is the direction we would go.

I hope you enjoy, and look forward to any thoughts you might share during / after the cruise.

I did confirm that the times that geffric posted were the same for our sailing in October 2018. We found the times in port to be quite satisfactory. Now, we did not take the included excursion to Paris from Le Havre as we have been to Paris previously. I know that with travel back and forth, the time in the city would  be a  very short visit. We were happy with our half day visit to Honfleur instead. If you have never seen Paris, you may make a different choice. 

Also, take note of the fact that the included excursion from Zeebrugge does not go to Bruges at all. We took the Bruges on Your Own optional tour with Viking and were so glad we did. The city is easy to navigate on your own, and there is something worth seeing around every corner. We had time for a very nice lunch at an outdoor cafe as a rest from all the walking.

Finally, Malaga was a delightful surprise and a place that was unknown to us before this trip. We did not take the optional excursion to the Alhambra, again because we had been there on an earlier trip. That is really a sight to behold, so if you are hoping to go let me warn you that Viking is only allotted a certain number of tickets and the excursion sells our quickly. We usually only select Viking excursions, but I would investigate a private tour as a back-up.

We greatly enjoyed the cruise, even though the weather was somewhat uncooperative. Hope you have better luck with that, or at least enjoy it in spite of the weather as we did.

17 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

I did confirm that the times that geffric posted were the same for our sailing in October 2018. We found the times in port to be quite satisfactory. Now, we did not take the included excursion to Paris from Le Havre as we have been to Paris previously. I know that with travel back and forth, the time in the city would  be a  very short visit. We were happy with our half day visit to Honfleur instead. If you have never seen Paris, you may make a different choice. 

Also, take note of the fact that the included excursion from Zeebrugge does not go to Bruges at all. We took the Bruges on Your Own optional tour with Viking and were so glad we did. The city is easy to navigate on your own, and there is something worth seeing around every corner. We had time for a very nice lunch at an outdoor cafe as a rest from all the walking.

Finally, Malaga was a delightful surprise and a place that was unknown to us before this trip. We did not take the optional excursion to the Alhambra, again because we had been there on an earlier trip. That is really a sight to behold, so if you are hoping to go let me warn you that Viking is only allotted a certain number of tickets and the excursion sells our quickly. We usually only select Viking excursions, but I would investigate a private tour as a back-up.

We greatly enjoyed the cruise, even though the weather was somewhat uncooperative. Hope you have better luck with that, or at least enjoy it in spite of the weather as we did.

Thank you again .. yes, we've been to Paris so Honfleur or Rouen would be much better options for us.

Also been to Bruges (some years ago) but we simply loved it and would definitely go back - the 'on your own' option would be ideal.

We know the Alhambra would be fabulous to see - but we have friends who have been to that area and they also say Malaga was a delight. Something we would have to think about.

We have a South American cruise booked with Viking for later this year, and a river cruise in April next year - so we are planning well ahead.

Thank you for your suggestions, they do help to fill in the blanks.

If you choose Malaga over the excursion to the Alhambra, consider visiting the Alcazaba. It's a Moorish fortress/palace high on a hill looking out over the city. The Viking included excursion finishes right at the base of the Alcazaba, and I think there is even an elevator available to get to the top. We did the hike up to the top, but you do have a choice. Viking runs a free shuttle back to the ship that we used later in the day after spending time on our own. While the Alcazaba is certainly not the Alhambra, it does have a similar feel.

We also plan ahead. We have a river cruise this April, an eastern Mediterranean for this fall, and another river cruise with friends in fall of 2021. All with Viking.

Edited by lackcreativity

5 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

If you choose Malaga over the excursion to the Alhambra, consider visiting the Alcazaba. It's a Moorish fortress/palace high on a hill looking out over the city. The Viking included excursion finishes right at the base of the Alcazaba, and I think there is even an elevator available to get to the top. We did the hike up to the top, but you do have a choice. Viking runs a free shuttle back to the ship that we used later in the day after spending time on our own. While the Alcazaba is certainly not the Alhambra, it does have a similar feel.

We also plan ahead. We have a river cruise this April, an eastern Mediterranean for this fall, and another river cruise with friends in fall of 2021. All with Viking.

Thank you - the Alcazaba sounds like an excellent option.

Enjoy your cruises, I hope Viking recognises your loyalty 😀

We took this trip in late September of 2019.  More rain than we would have liked in UK, Bruges, etc but still fine.  Lost the port stop in Falmouth due to high winds. That disappointed the Poldark fans.

Viking was very accommodating to folks who required an early off-ship in Barcelona, with two buses at the ready at 5.30 am. Many flights to the east coast of the US depart between 9.30 and 11.30.  Light snacks and coffee in the ship's lounge, etc.

21 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

We took this trip in late September of 2019.  More rain than we would have liked in UK, Bruges, etc but still fine.  Lost the port stop in Falmouth due to high winds. That disappointed the Poldark fans.

Viking was very accommodating to folks who required an early off-ship in Barcelona, with two buses at the ready at 5.30 am. Many flights to the east coast of the US depart between 9.30 and 11.30.  Light snacks and coffee in the ship's lounge, etc.

Thank you ... yes rain / high winds etc are always a possibility,  so we do our best to roll with the flow.

We like to take our time when we disembark - so we always try for late afternoon / evening flights out of Europe (which then results in 2 overnight flights to get home, which is not so good). The tyranny of distance. 😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 5:39 PM, AuntieWerewolf10 said:

April 2018 sailing 

Barcelona embarkation overnight 

Barcelona overnight 5:00 pm 

Cartegena 12:00 pm 6:00 pm 

Malaga 8:00 am 7:00 pm

Sea day

Leixos (Porto) 8:00 am 2:00 pm 

Sea day

Falmouth 8:00 am 6:00 pm 

Portsmouth 8:00 am 6:00 pm 

Le Harve 7:00 am 8:00 pm 

Zeebrugge 12:00 pm 6:00 pm 

Amsterdam 8:00 am 6:00 pm 

Sea day 

Bergen 8:00 am overnight 

Bergen overnight disembarkation 

We did the reverse cruise in October, and if I remember correctly, we had to be back on the ship by 4:30 in Porto. The rest of these times are similar to what we had except that due to the demonstrations in Barcelona, we were only there for disembarkation.

1 hour ago, lonagarr said:

We did the reverse cruise in October, and if I remember correctly, we had to be back on the ship by 4:30 in Porto. The rest of these times are similar to what we had except that due to the demonstrations in Barcelona, we were only there for disembarkation.

Thank you for your comments