LeHavre/Paris Princess Excursions

Cruising Forever!

My wife and I will have a stop at Le Havre on an upcoming Princess cruise, and we've never been to Paris before.  We signed up for Princess' Louvre excursion (lunch near Eiffel Tower then the rest of the day at the Louvre).  We're now having second thoughts on this excursion as several people have told us that the Louvre is HUGE (and some said rather dull) and you aren't really experiencing Paris by spending the whole day there.  Wondering what alternative Princess excursions people have enjoyed in Paris?

I still have time to cancel the Louvre in favor of something else.

Thank You, 

Paul

Personally, first time in Paris, would recommend that see what you can but not spend it at the Louvre. It is a three hour trip into Paris and the same returning.  This was in 2012.  We took the Princess shuttle into Paris and then spent around 3 1/2 hours on our own.  We had three things on our list we hoped to see:   The Eiffel Tower/Trocadero, Notre Dame (sadly, can't do that now) and l'arc de triomphe.   We caught a taxi at Notre Dame to drop us off at l'arc and then, luckily, got on a bus to take us back to our Princess pick up spot.   Should mention that the Avenue des Champs-Élysées  was in full rush hour mode and we were on pins and needles that we wouldn't get back in time....we did but it reminded me to always take a contact number.  Everyone in Paris takes taxis so they are not easy to grab especially in rush hour.  Friends took the excursion that gave them a cruise down the Seine with lunch and then shopping.  They were happy with the cruise down the river but would have have been happy to do something other than shopping.   Definitely go see the Eiffel and then you if you just want to feel the flavour of Paris, find an outdoor cafe and watch the world go by.    Any excursion into Paris  is basically just a teaser.   To do Paris proper, you must return some day.  The drive in is beautiful with fields of yellow canola.  Keep your eye out for a miniature version of the Statute of Liberty in the river on the drive in and feel your excitement as you finally glimpse the top of the Eiffel Tower in the distance.  The excursion may be brief but it can be enjoyed.

Edited by Northern Light

It is possible to get a good flavor of Paris in one day (see Rick Steve's ultimate day trip to Paris in his London guidebook) but the Le Havre tours don't give you much time, especially if you want to see more than the Louvre. 

My wife and I (we have done the 1 day trip from London as well as an 8 day visit to Paris before) chose the Mont St. Michel tour from Le Havre and enjoyed both the history and beauty of the island.

18 minutes ago, Cruising Forever! said:

My wife and I will have a stop at Le Havre on an upcoming Princess cruise, and we've never been to Paris before.  We signed up for Princess' Louvre excursion (lunch near Eiffel Tower then the rest of the day at the Louvre).  We're now having second thoughts on this excursion as several people have told us that the Louvre is HUGE (and some said rather dull) and you aren't really experiencing Paris by spending the whole day there.  Wondering what alternative Princess excursions people have enjoyed in Paris?

I still have time to cancel the Louvre in favor of something else.

Thank You, 

Paul

We have been in Paris and the statement about not seeing the city is true. There is a lot to see. However, in our eyes, when cruising you are not "visiting" a place, you are getting a taste of it to see if you want to go back for longer.

Maybe consider adding some days at the beginning or end to visit the city. We do that all the time.

The only time we visited that port, I did a WWII beach and museum tour. That is still in my top 5 of all tours I have done, but I am a history buff.

I decided not to waste 6 hours driving.  The Taste of Honfleir excursion was very nice.  Had a taste of Calvados, then enjoyed a cafe at Honfleur and explored the cathedral and area.  On my itinerary, this was the last day before disembarking so packed the suitcases in the afternoon.