NYC to Iceland via Greenland May 2021

JC in CA

On 2/4/2020 at 7:30 AM, papaflamingo said:

We are doing this same cruise in June.  In fact we are starting in Montreal on the previous cruise and staying until Dublin (39 total nights).  Looking at your itinerary it show TWO tender ports in Greenland.  Oddly, our itinerary only shows ONE, Paamiut. We show being docked in Nuuk.  And Iceland is all docks.  

We have a variety of tours set up.  These were based on what I thought looked interesting, some research of each port, etc.  Nuuk was quite limited so we booked 2 tours, the Guided Short Walk and Visit with Family, and the Kayak Show.  

Paamiut  the Walking Tour is the only tour offered, so not much decision making there. 

Both Nuuk and Paamiut are pretty small, but I think it'll be very interesting to see them and their way  of life. 

Isafjordur Iceland we booked the Bird Island of Vigur.  I researched quite a bit and this just seemed interesting to us.  Looks beautiful. 

We overnight in Reykjavik but stay on the ship until Dublin.  We booked Bathing in the Blue Lagoon.  Again, it just seemed like a "cool" experience.  I actually looked at booking a room for the night at the Blue Lagoon, but horribly expensive.  So the included tour it is.  Likely for us, as we're staying on board, there'll be some sort of tour option for day two.  

But Reykjavik has some wonderful tours available.  

We also booked a Category E to get forward on the ship but didn't see the advantage to Concierge level.

We return July 18.  I will be very happy to let you know how it goes. 

When we did the NYC to Reykjavik cruise were stayed a few extra days.  When we visited the blue lagoon, which is lots of fun in and of itself, we stayed to have dinner at the site.  It was a wonderful meal and not too expensive.  The other thing they provide is a shuttle bus from a variety of locations in town out to the Blue Lagoon.  It runs very frequently and they charge a minimal amount.  It makes the trip in and out very convenient.  One of the souvenirs I recommend are the Icelandic sweaters.  They are handknit and absolutely beautiful.  You can buy them at several price points from child to large adult sizes.  There also are wonderful walking tours in Rey. conducted by local college students that give you both the traditional history and the information on living in the city today.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

When we did the NYC to Reykjavik cruise were stayed a few extra days.  When we visited the blue lagoon, which is lots of fun in and of itself, we stayed to have dinner at the site.  It was a wonderful meal and not too expensive.  The other thing they provide is a shuttle bus from a variety of locations in town out to the Blue Lagoon.  It runs very frequently and they charge a minimal amount.  It makes the trip in and out very convenient.  One of the souvenirs I recommend are the Icelandic sweaters.  They are handknit and absolutely beautiful.  You can buy them at several price points from child to large adult sizes.  There also are wonderful walking tours in Rey. conducted by local college students that give you both the traditional history and the information on living in the city today.  

Thanks for the info.  Our visit to the Blue Lagoon is with the cruise line, but I certainly will look into maybe staying and using the shuttle to get back and see about staying for lunch (our visit is in the morning). That sound very nice!  

Also since we'll have an overnight, we plan to see some of the town.  We might look into a walking tour for the afternoon or next day.  Will definitely shop for sweaters though. Sounds wonderful!  

On 2/4/2020 at 12:58 PM, JC in CA said:

- so we have narrowed down to E or D - eliminated F after looking at cabin placement- all aft.

This is a smart idea on Navigator. 

My favorite deck on the ship is deck 6.  Close to the Coffee Connection and Navigator Lounge for coffee in the morning and drinks in the evening!!

• Like 2