purell and hand wash on ships

Buck Turgidson

On 2/11/2020 at 7:21 AM, RocketMan275 said:

The problem with that is passengers will think they are protected since they used Purell and will not get the real protection from actually washing their hands.  The federal government has issues an order for Purell to stop claiming it's effective against viruses.

I agree that hand sanitizers won't give the protection that proper hand washing will. 

The question was which cruise lines have Purell at the dining venue entrance and encourage passengers to use it. Norwegion wasn't listed so I provided it.

13 minutes ago, mammajamma2013 said:

I agree that hand sanitizers won't give the protection that proper hand washing will. 

The question was which cruise lines have Purell at the dining venue entrance and encourage passengers to use it. Norwegion wasn't listed so I provided it.

Yes, that's what you asked. But what you're getting is that those products shouldn't be there. They're ineffective.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

I didn't ask. The original poster of this thread asked. I answered. I'm aware that hand sanitizers are ineffective.

It's not that they'r 'ineffective', their use is counter-productive.  They give passengers a false sense of security, "I used the purell so I'm protected."  Then they don't wash their hands which does give them protection.  If you really want to protect passengers, those hand-sanitizers should be replaced by hand washing stations.  Something isn't always better than nothing.

Yes, you answered OP's question but isn't equally important to share the information that hand-sanitizers aren't effective and that if OP really wants protection, then OP should be looking for washing stations?

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 11:21 PM, Buck Turgidson said:

Do any cruise lines encourage hand cleanliness of the hand wash and Purell stations. in the buffet  My last two cruises on the Spendor (Purell)  and Panorama the stations were there but no one was encouraging people to wash or squirt.  I came home  from both cruises with bad cough, chest congestion and weakness for two weeks. Years ago other lines encouraged hand cleaning and I am wondering if they still do. 

I don't remember if I answered the original question so here is my experience:

Carnival: washing stations & sanitizer both at buffet; sanitizer at MDR entrance (and I think at specialty restaurant entrances), restrooms with sinks near restaurants; no one encouraging use

Royal Caribbean: same as above but more encouragement of use, especially at buffet being directed to sinks upon entrance; when we sailed on on cruise where Norovirus was at reportable levels use of sanitizer was mandatory at not only food venues but also photo gallery

NCL: I honestly don't remember (2016) but suspect they had sanitizer at all food establishments and nearby restrooms.  I do not remember hand washing stations.

Princess: same as Carnival

Viking (via pictures but not experienced yet): hand washing stations including individual cloth towels; suspect no one encouraging but rather trusting the passengers to be responsible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1