purell and hand wash on ships

Buck Turgidson

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Elton:

I go to doctors offices several times a week.They all have sinks but I have yet to see anyone wash hands.They all use Purell or an equivalent product. Mrs.66 is in the medical field and she said it is the same thing in hospitals.

"The warning letter to parent company GOJO Industries, published on the FDA's website last week, lists examples from Purell websites and social media accounts that claim the hand sanitizer "may be effective against viruses" such as Ebola and influenza."

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/fda-warns-makers-purell-stop-advertising-prevent-ebola/story?id=68584051

The headline only mentions ebola but the text indicates the warning extends to all claims of being effective against viruses.  BTW, corona is a virus and so is Noro.

I just received an email from Stanford Health Care that reminds folks that catching the flu is still a bigger risk than catching Novel Coronavirus and to get the flu shot.  They also reviewed the best practices for staying healthy. 

Of course, everyone here knows everything, but I'll share again just for the record. 

From the CDC:  

• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
  • Follow CDC’s recommendations for using facemask.
    • CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear facemask to protect themselves from respiratory viruses, including 2019-nCoV.
    • Facemask should be used by people who show symptoms of 2019 novel coronavirus, in order to protect others from the risk of getting infected. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings(at home or in a health care facility).
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
    • If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Actually, they are things second grade girls get from hanging around boys (and vice versa).

My mother (born in 1908) said the style growing up was for girls to wear their hair in little “buns” over the ears. Kind of looked like earmuffs. They called the cootie garages. 😂

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Elton:

I go to doctors offices several times a week.They all have sinks but I have yet to see anyone wash hands.They all use Purell or an equivalent product. Mrs.66 is in the medical field and she said it is the same thing in hospitals.

My Doc's office has a sign that says the hand sanitizer is effective protection against bacteria , and to use it.  

23 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes, it is effective against bacteria - but aren’t we really talking about viruses?

Yes.

Hand sanitizers are effective against viruses.
Make sure to follow directions of the product label.

Be advised that cruise ships are not following the same processes as of hospitals. 
Such as , C-diff spores present another/different  issue.

Edited by $hip$hape

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

My Doc's office has a sign that says the hand sanitizer is effective protection against bacteria , and to use it.  

I go to many senior health fairs.At every booth there are people from hospitals and medical facilities giving out health sanitizers.

4 hours ago, Donald said:

This is why 10% of the US population had Norovirus last year and nearly 800 Americans died from it.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I doubt a single flu related death happened because someone failed to wash their face after using a cell phone.   

13 hours ago, $hip$hape said:

We are talking about the Coronavirus .

What is your point?

That they didn’t wash their hands?

There are some reports that Corona can be spread by fecal matter.

https://www.sciencealert.com/latest-coronavirus-study-suggests-it-can-also-be-spread-through-poop

Investigations under way that Corona spread through sewage pipes.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/12/asia/hong-kong-coronavirus-pipes-intl-hnk/index.html

Edited by RocketMan275

13 hours ago, $hip$hape said:

Yes.

Hand sanitizers are effective against viruses.
Make sure to follow directions of the product label.

Be advised that cruise ships are not following the same processes as of hospitals. 
Such as , C-diff spores present another/different  issue.

The FDC has issued a warning to Purell to stop claiming effectiveness against viruses.  

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/fda-warns-makers-purell-stop-advertising-prevent-ebola/story?id=68584051

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

https://www.sciencealert.com/latest-coronavirus-study-suggests-it-can-also-be-spread-through-poop

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/12/asia/hong-kong-coronavirus-pipes-intl-hnk/index.html

Thanks for this info.  This  was news to me.

9 minutes ago, gigito2 said:

Thanks for this info.  This  was news to me.

It hasn't been widely reported but those are normally reliable sources.  Face it, we don't fully understand corona and how it may be spread.  One should not assume it can be halted by one technique or another.  BTW, it's been reported in other sources that face masks don't protect the person wearing the mask.  It only protects those the person wearing the mask comes in contact with.  Think about it. 

I just had surgery.  The surgeon wore a mask when he visited the day after the surgery.  I asked if he was afraid he might catch something and he responded that the mask was to protect me from him.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Any viral or bacterial infection can be spread by transmission from one host to another -by virtually any means of contact.  The most contagious are likely to be capable of airborne transmission - colds, flu and apparently novel corona — an infected person coughing or sneezing  leaves airborne particles of mucous or water suspended in the air for varying lengths of time; then there are infections such as aids which seems to require physical transmission via bodily fluids such as blood,  and cholera which seems to require physical transmission via bodily waste. However, there is no reason to think that the most readily transmitted - such as colds, flu and novel corona cold only be transmitted airborne — any mode of contact should be considered possible.

9 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Any viral or bacterial infection can be spread by transmission from one host to another -by virtually any means of contact.  The most contagious are likely to be capable of airborne transmission - colds, flu and apparently novel corona — an infected person coughing or sneezing  leaves airborne particles of mucous or water suspended in the air for varying lengths of time; then there are infections such as aids which seems to require physical transmission via bodily fluids such as blood,  and cholera which seems to require physical transmission via bodily waste. However, there is no reason to think that the most readily transmitted - such as colds, flu and novel corona cold only be transmitted airborne — any mode of contact should be considered possible.

Where did you get your medical degree?

On 2/10/2020 at 2:19 PM, JMorris271 said:

Aside  from helping to limit  the spread of some illnesses. I believe that sanitizers do more harm than good.  There is nothing like a healthy body with a good bio filtration system , immunity system, that can only evolve with exposure to good old germs and sanitizers limit that .

Agree. We drink tap water almost all over the planet.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Where did you get your medical degree?

NBT may not be an epidemiologist, but he is not wrong  in his comment that diseases can have multiple modes of transmission. COVID 19  appears to primarily spread via airborne droplets, but that doesn't preclude it being spread by secondary vectors such as touch contamination or a fecal/oral route. Scientific understanding of all aspects of this virus is still evolving, and no one can realistically expect a complete picture of this new disease variant in the near future. Much is still unknown.

12 hours ago, mom says said:

NBT may not be an epidemiologist, but he is not wrong  in his comment that diseases can have multiple modes of transmission. COVID 19  appears to primarily spread via airborne droplets, but that doesn't preclude it being spread by secondary vectors such as touch contamination or a fecal/oral route. Scientific understanding of all aspects of this virus is still evolving, and no one can realistically expect a complete picture of this new disease variant in the near future. Much is still unknown.

Sorry. Apparently when I read NBT saying any mode of contact should be considered, I was still thinking about the comments of others feeling transmission could be accomplished in ridiculous ways such as traveling through ventilation systems. Direct contact is one thing while third hand or days later is less likely. 

And yes, I am somewhat informed from spending years in a virus research lab.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 3:20 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,you are correct,however,we have friends who we cruise with on a regular basis.The husband suffers from Alzheimer’s and on more than one occasion has come out of a cruise ship bathroom and has told his wife that he could not get the water to flow and had to manipulate the faucet.While this is not the case for everyone I am thinking that other people with this disease may have the same difficulty.

I am not used to automatic sinks also having faucets that can be manually turned on, but I have encountered where you need to try several sinks to get the water to turn/stay on.

OP - I can only control my actions, so regardless of if there is signage present or crew directing I will find a sink and wash my hands thoroughly with soap and water before eating.  At the buffet area on our last 4 ships they all had sinks available.  Restrooms were located near MDR's and I would humor staff if they also requested use of sanitizer.