Celebrity cruises to South America & Antarctica

Rickster50

Hope you do get to do an Antarctica cruise.  We missed ports including the Falklands on ours on Infinity, but would like to take that cruise again.  We have a number of other itineraries that we want to do also.  Good problem, I guess

Have a great cruise, whichever one you take.

16 hours ago, rimmit said:

My assumption is there is just a lack of enforceability regarding the Polar Code which was my assumption initially when I had heard X booked cruises for 2022.  We have booked the Antarctic Jan 31 2021 cruise cuz I thought it was the last chance for a drive by.  I have done expeditions to South Georgia and also to Antarctica, but my wife isn’t too keen on expeditions so I figured this would be the easiest way to get her there with at least some creature comforts.

I agree it's a great way to see Antarctica especially if you don't want to spend massive amounts of money or have limited mobility that would make an excursion ship difficult at best. We bit the bullet and decided on an excursion ship, but I know it will be a one time amazing experience given the hefty price tag. Having the option to sail by at a reasonable price was something I really liked. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, prim8keeper said:

I agree it's a great way to see Antarctica especially if you don't want to spend massive amounts of money or have limited mobility that would make an excursion ship difficult at best. We bit the bullet and decided on an excursion ship, but I know it will be a one time amazing experience given the hefty price tag. Having the option to sail by at a reasonable price was something I really liked. 

Yes, getting into and out of zodiacs can be difficult for those with back issues.  It is well worth it if it’s in your budget as it is truly an incredible experience.  The cruise will hopefully be a nice middle ground although it will be a tease to only see Antarctica and not set foot on it.

Below is a link to a book I made when we went to Snow Hill Island, Antarctica in 2008.  Quark no longer offers this expedition, as it was the only one in the world that allowed you to see Emperor Penguin chicks.  I never got around to making a book when we went to South Georgia for a week.  The sheer number of penguins in South Georgia is unreal and has to be seen to be believed.

https://www.blurb.com/bookshare/app/index.html?bookId=647707

• Like 1

Thought I'd post an update. So as of today, the Azamara Quest (Feb 2, 2022), Celebrity Silhouette (Jan 30, 2022) and now the Oceania Marina (Jan 8, 2022) are all offering Antarctica "drive by" itineraries. With two cruise lines, RCI and NCL, breaking the Polar Code ranks and scheduling Antarctica cruises after Jan 1, 2022, it will be interesting to see what Princess and HAL offer once they release their early 2022 itineraries.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the replies and worthwhile information everybody. It's very much appreciated. Cruise Critic in my opinion is second to none when it comes to information, feedback etc.

The only other thing I would like to know is whether Celebrity has "Beverage Cards" as opposed to "Beverage Packages."

We usually get them with Holland America.

Thanks

Rick

We are leaving in 6 days for BA.  Going a few days early to see Iguazu Falls.  The sailing is  March 1, BA to Vancouver on Eclipse.  You will love Silhouette.  She is our favorite Celebrity ship.

Are you using a private tour company for Iguazu Falls? We are going in January 2021 and would love to see the Falls before our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums