Carnival magic

MrsJones02

I’ve browsed some reviews but most don’t have the info I’m looking for. My husband and I sailed carnival once 7 years ago on the Freedom. We didn’t love it. Food and entertainment were not as good as we’re used to with NCL. We are looking to cruise the Carnival Magic in August with our 4 year old. Is the Magic a good ship for kids? Has the food gotten any better in 7 years? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it is very much a preference thing.  I would take Carnival’s food and entertainment any day over NCL.  I found dinner in NCL’s dining room to be lacking and left thinking that if I sailed NCL again I would opt to pay for the additional restaurants each night.  But to each their own.

Kids have always loved Carnival cruises but they didn’t sail with me on NCL so I can’t compare from that perspective.

I think it is very much a preference thing.  I would take Carnival’s food and entertainment any day over NCL.  I found dinner in NCL’s dining room to be lacking and left thinking that if I sailed NCL again I would opt to pay for the additional restaurants each night.  But to each their own.

Kids have always loved Carnival cruises but they didn’t sail with me on NCL so I can’t compare from that perspective.

Thanks. We aren’t very picky eaters in general so that’s helpful!

We just got back from the Magic and loved it. The first day is obviously a nightmare re: the lido deck with everyone in the same place at the same time. We just found a spot to hang out and areas where it wasnt super crowded (head towards the back). The sports deck is great for kids. It has foosball, ropes course (I think your 4 yr old is too young though), putt putt, etc. The Magic when I checked was exactly half the price of a comparable RCI cruise so keep that in mind.....

Food is very subjective, so you have to keep that in mind when reading any comments related to food. Over the last several years I think the quality of the food in the MDR has gone down on Carnival. I still like the food in the MDR, but both my wife and I agree food used to be better in the MDR in the past. 

On the other hand I think the food in the speciality restaurants is outstanding. Magic has a steakhouse and Cucina Del Capitano. 

My kids are adults now so I can’t really address how Magic is for a 4 year old. 

Magic has a nice "splash area" that would be perfect for a 4 year old.  Has small slides, sprayers, dump bucket, etc.  There is mini-golf, kids club, Dr. Suess activities.  Food is subjective, but Cucina del Capitano is open and free for lunch.  Most kids love pasta, so that might be a good spot to eat. (I liked it also!!)

Magic has a nice "splash area" that would be perfect for a 4 year old.  Has small slides, sprayers, dump bucket, etc.  There is mini-golf, kids club, Dr. Suess activities.  Food is subjective, but Cucina del Capitano is open and free for lunch.  Most kids love pasta, so that might be a good spot to eat. (I liked it also!!)

Thanks! We went ahead and booked. Those activities sound great for her.

Food is very subjective, so you have to keep that in mind when reading any comments related to food. Over the last several years I think the quality of the food in the MDR has gone down on Carnival. I still like the food in the MDR, but both my wife and I agree food used to be better in the MDR in the past. 

On the other hand I think the food in the speciality restaurants is outstanding. Magic has a steakhouse and Cucina Del Capitano. 

My kids are adults now so I can’t really address how Magic is for a 4 year old. 

Thanks for that info. We will prob do a specialty restaurant at least once.

We just got back from the Magic and loved it. The first day is obviously a nightmare re: the lido deck with everyone in the same place at the same time. We just found a spot to hang out and areas where it wasnt super crowded (head towards the back). The sports deck is great for kids. It has foosball, ropes course (I think your 4 yr old is too young though), putt putt, etc. The Magic when I checked was exactly half the price of a comparable RCI cruise so keep that in mind.....

The price was so good. I jumped on it. In the end we’re on a ship with sun and fun. We’ll survive [emoji6]

• Like 1

I’m a picky eater but loved the food on the Magic when we sailed last May. If you’re a meat eater you’ll love the steaks in the MDR. Buffet was excellent as well. 

For children, they’ll love the water slides and the sky course. 

We are all meat eaters so that sounds like a plan!

We were on the magic in March.  You can read my review.  

Some changes have been made in the food probably since you have been.   Not sure if you had all of the different lunch options that are available.   carnival has the regular buffet.  But they also have Guys burgers (greasy but good if you like five guys sort of).  A burrito place that is made to order.  They also have taco salads and tacos.   (They also make breakfast burritos and huevos rancheros in the morning.   They have the deli.  Some of the specials of the day are pretty good.  We have enjoyed the pizza also.  Much better than pizza on other lines.   The Mongolian wok is good but the line is long.  Don't miss the pasta bar upstairs.  Its free for lunch.   

The different lunch options are what we like most about carnival.  I am not a buffet person.  

Dinner has been pretty good our last few cruises.  Most of our meals have been good.  There is the occasional bust but overall we have been satisfied.  

If you search under my profile I have a review our cruise from March.  

We were on the magic in March.  You can read my review.  
Some changes have been made in the food probably since you have been.   Not sure if you had all of the different lunch options that are available.   carnival has the regular buffet.  But they also have Guys burgers (greasy but good if you like five guys sort of).  A burrito place that is made to order.  They also have taco salads and tacos.   (They also make breakfast burritos and huevos rancheros in the morning.   They have the deli.  Some of the specials of the day are pretty good.  We have enjoyed the pizza also.  Much better than pizza on other lines.   The Mongolian wok is good but the line is long.  Don't miss the pasta bar upstairs.  Its free for lunch.   

The different lunch options are what we like most about carnival.  I am not a buffet person.  

Dinner has been pretty good our last few cruises.  Most of our meals have been good.  There is the occasional bust but overall we have been satisfied.  

If you search under my profile I have a review our cruise from March.  

That all sounds good. Def love burritos and tacos so that’s a plus! I will check out your review!