accessible rooms for non-disabled

67skybear

we are looking a cruise where the only rooms available in the class we want (sky suite) are accessible.  I understand that we may get bumped if someone who needs the accessible room 

books a cruise - from the Celebrity website:  "If a guest is booked in an accessible stateroom and they do not have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the features that are provided in the accessible stateroom, they may be moved any time to a non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability.

My real question is, if we get bumped to a lower category(since i doubt there will be suites available by the time we got bumped), do we get refunded the difference in fare, or we simply stuck with whatever room we get for the price we originally paid?

if its the latter, we would probably just book another room to avoid overpaying and eliminate the risk.   anybody have any insight?  Thanks in advance for any help.

We have to book Accessible cabins because my husband uses a powerchair full time, can't walk at all, and we need both the extra turning radius and the roll in shower/grab bars.

I have been on the Disabled forum on Cruise Critic for more than a decade, and I have seen lots of complaints from people needing an accessible cabin who were unable to get one, even after repeatedly asking Celebrity to confirm that everyone on their cruise needed those accommodations. I have never seen someone complain that they were an able-bodied person in a HC cabin who got kicked out. I know they don't have any notations in the booking record about who really needs the features and who doesn't. So they would have to call around and I just don't think Celebrity (or any cruise line) has the manpower or incentive to do that.

So, it rather seems to be "honor system." As someone who cannot cruise without a HC cabin, I am always delighted to see HC cabins available for last minute booking. So I hope you don't take it. But I really can't blame you if you do. The accessible Sky Suite is same size as a CS, but without the bedroom.

We have been assigned a disabled sky suite when we booked a guarantee.  We got the assignment at the last minute.  My negative comment is that the bathroom, while well suited for a handicapped person- isn't so for a non handicapped person.  We found the water to go all over the entire bathroom floor when we showered.  We built a towel wall around the shower.  The sink is also low, perfect for a wheelchair under it.  The bathroom also lacks the other shelves and cabinets a tradition cabin has.

Of course the cabin is perfect for a wheelchair- the room is also more spacious. The balcony also is very accessible for a person in a wheelchair.  The suite benefits are great for a handicapped or non handicapped person.  My mother  who was in a wheelchair found the room to be perfect for her and my dad.  

• Like 1

We have never booked an accessible cabin on purpose but we WERE assigned one once. We didn't know it until we walked into the cabin.

I have also been told by my TA that she couldn't book a certain cabin (we needed adjoining cabins) because one was accessible. She said X would release it close to our sail date if it wasn't booked and we could switch then, if we wanted. We didn't end up going on that cruise so I don't know how the cabin was eventually booked. I didn't think you could book one without providing something to prove you needed it.

2 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

We have never booked an accessible cabin on purpose but we WERE assigned one once. We didn't know it until we walked into the cabin.

I have also been told by my TA that she couldn't book a certain cabin (we needed adjoining cabins) because one was accessible. She said X would release it close to our sail date if it wasn't booked and we could switch then, if we wanted. We didn't end up going on that cruise so I don't know how the cabin was eventually booked. I didn't think you could book one without providing something to prove you needed it.

Legally not sure what documentation would be required to book a handicapped cabin due to privacy laws 

We've only had a handicapped cabin once (on our Southeast Asia Millennium cruise about 14 months ago) and it was not by choice...We found out while checking in at the terminal in Hong Kong that we had been "upgraded"...

Yes, the cabin is quite a bit larger than an ordinary balcony cabin, as is the bathroom...but I don't know if the increase in size holds for the handicapped Sky Suites as well as they are already larger and can probably accommodate wheelchairs and such in their standard size.  I also agree that the bathroom felt odd as, in order to accommodate wheel chairs, they are missing that rise in the floor that keeps the water in the shower.  We did, however, at least appreciated the midship location.

That said, I feel a bit odd booking one myself...

I always check, from time to time, the current fares on the cruises I have booked...and, it so happens, that when I recently checked on my cruises this summer, the Sky Suite fares had suddenly dropped drastically--almost to the rare on my currently booked Concierge cabin for at least one of the two legs of my back-to-back...to where I could pay just about $500-600 more and pick up the internet perk...BUT, the only Sky Suites available on each leg were those Handicapped Sky Suites...

I thought about it and ran it by my wife...and we decided to pass...

We are happy with the Concierge cabin we have booked (same midship cabin for both legs)...We don't need more space (and like ordinary showers)...The butlers are great (we've had a few suites over the years), but we really don't need them...AND, I still feel funny booking what is supposed to be a Handicapped cabin--even if they haven't had anyone who needs them book the cruise...(and I don't want to risk losing that same cabin and, maybe, have to pack up and move in between the two legs of the back-to-back).

OTOH, if a standard Sky Suite came back on the market for those same rates for both cruises, we'd probably jump on it...

• Thanks 1

I don't think you should feel funny about it... they only open the accessible cabins to general booking fairly close to cruise date if they haven't sold by then. Folk have had plenty of time to book them if they needed them. I sincerely doubt they would downgrade you from a booked suite to lower. I'd have no problem booking one myself if available to the general public as I don't need a bathtub. In fact I'd love to move to an accessible concierge from my regular concierge for my Apex sailing as great location and much bigger IV. I've been keeping an eye on that sailing as well as sailings closer in time (including Edge) but haven't seen any accessible yet available to general public like I do on older ships.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

4 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

I didn't think you could book one without providing something to prove you needed it.

27 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

they only open the accessible cabins to general booking fairly close to cruise date if they haven't sold by then.

Perhaps this may vary by TA, but the TA I use shows accessible cabins from day 1 and you don't need to provide any proof that you need one to book it.

2 hours ago, twins_to_alaska said:

... they only open the accessible cabins to general booking fairly close to cruise date if they haven't sold by then...

These two cruises aren't for another 4 and a half months!!  July 5 and July 12...

There is still plenty of time to book...

Of course, they may have opened this up now since all of the other Sky Suites are sold out...But, on July 5, there are lots of Aqua and Concierge remaining...and on July 12, still lots of Aquas remaining...

I booked a sky suite guarantee and was assigned an accessible cabin within days of booking, my cruise is still 4 months away and there are no accessible suites available for my sailing  showing now. It doesn't make sense that Celebrity allows these to be booked or given to people who don't need them so far out and doesn't allow them to be booked. I really don't want an accessible cabin so i'm hoping to watch the cabin around final payment time to see if something else opens up, but it makes me feel ick knowing someone else could want this cabin and not be able to get it because they already assigned it. 

If all the cabins in a category have been reserved except an accessible cabin, Celebrity opens up the remaining accessible cabin for anyone to book.  They are not going to hold an accessible cabin as a just in case, if there are no more cabins in that stateroom class.  Why should they?

If it is before final payment, book the accessible and keep looking to see if another cabin  in the class opens up.  You’ll be able to mover over to it easily with a phone call.  

• Like 1

This is our recent experience with a disabled room.  This past October, we decided totally last minute to take an Asian cruise from Shanghai to Tokyo.  The cruise was leaving in 12 days, and the only cabins left were a few ocean view with one being for handicapped.  We called Celebrity and booked was turned out to be an awesome room on Millenium, 6th floor way up front star board in the corner.  We do not need this category, but we appreciated the surprisingly huge room.  Because of the odd location on the floor, the room was shaped sideways hugging the front of the ship with a huge port hole.  Celebrity obviously waited to book it until last minute and we lucked out and got it....I would suggest his cabin to those needing disabled accommodations as there is ample room and great views.  Most M-class ships have these cabin, I believe.  Anyway, just my thoughts.  Bon voyage!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AdventureJes said:

my cruise is still 4 months away and there are no accessible suites available for my sailing  showing now. It doesn't make sense that Celebrity allows these to be booked or given to people who don't need them so far out

I guess 'so far out' is subjective. I think 4 months is pretty close for a cruise given most folk need to make flight/hotel arrangements. I've got a cruise booked 24 months away!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chowderbsk said:

This is our recent experience with a disabled room.  This past October, we decided totally last minute to take an Asian cruise from Shanghai to Tokyo.  The cruise was leaving in 12 days, and the only cabins left were a few ocean view with one being for handicapped.  We called Celebrity and booked was turned out to be an awesome room on Millenium, 6th floor way up front star board in the corner.  We do not need this category, but we appreciated the surprisingly huge room.  Because of the odd location on the floor, the room was shaped sideways hugging the front of the ship with a huge port hole.  Celebrity obviously waited to book it until last minute and we lucked out and got it....I would suggest his cabin to those needing disabled accommodations as there is ample room and great views.  Most M-class ships have these cabin, I believe.  Anyway, just my thoughts.  Bon voyage!

Thank you for the feedback. I have been looking at those cabins (one on each side) for a future cruise. We like a balcony, but the price difference can be large. I'm glad to hear the feedback.