MSC Ship not being allowed to dock in Ocho Rios due to sick crew member?

minnie00

3 hours ago, little britain said:

It has been confirmed that the crew member has flu.

MSC have offered everyone a refund, and 20%FCC and OBC which is an amazing response to something which was totally out of their hands. Dangerous precedent to set though. emoji383.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Makes me feel like it is a company that I would like to give my business to.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 3:25 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

In 25 years of cruising the Caribbean Ocho Rios is the only port where we did not feel safe.  Machine gun carrying paramilitary troops lining the streets does not convey a welcoming atmosphere.

I saw that in Europe too.  If you look at it as a deterrent for your safety, it is easier to accept.

Sort of like having a police officer follow me around at all foreign ports for my safety.  That would be weird, but I think I would welcome it  🙃

Edited by mpk

Not RCI, but just for info - two more ships turned away due to illness onboard.

The Fred Olson Braemar has been turned away from the Dominican Republic:

"A joint statement by the Public Health Ministry and Port Authority said the captain of the Braemar reported four Filipinos, two British citizens and two U.S. citizens were under medical observation after displaying COVID-19 illness symptoms such as fever, coughing, or breathing difficulty".

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-02-27/cruise-ship-can-dock-at-mexicos-cozumel-amid-virus-fears

The article above also mentions the MSC ship in Cozumel - this part concerns me:

"Local media showed a small knot of Cozumel residents near the cruise ship dock demanding that passengers not be allowed to disembark, citing fears about potential contagion or effects on the tourism-dependent economy".

"Passenger Eder Ortíz told Hechos Meridiano Quintana Roo, a local newscast affiliated with national broadcaster TV Azteca, that inside the boat people were protesting to demand they be let out".

Just picture that for a minute.

The Carnival Fascination was denied in St Lucia (the ill crewmember was later cleared of the virus):

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-crew-member-tested-for-coronavirus-ship-denied-at-caribbean-port/38025