Walking from Civitavecchia train station to pier- has anyone done this?

coast2coast

Can you actually do this?

I know we can take a shuttle from the train station to Largo della Pace to catch yet another shuttle to the port.

However, DH and I are in good health, like to walk, and will be packing light, so assuming the weather's good, we'd prefer to walk.

I saw a video posted recently that shows you can walk from the train station to the Bramante parking area just inside the pier area beyond Fort Michelangelo. Does a shuttle stop there on its way from Largo della Pace to pick up other passengers, because I'm assuming there will be a point somewhere on the pier that we'll have to be transported to the ship by bus because of security in place.

Basically the reason I'm asking this is to not have to deal with two different shuttle buses, and walking all the way from our hotel to Largo della Pace with our luggage (I know it's not that far) just to catch a shuttle that's going to backtrack and retrace half of the journey we just walked to get us to the port.

Hope my question makes sense, and thanks for any info you might be able to provide! 🙂

It depends on where your ship is berthed.  The shuttle buses that pick up at the fort are mostly used by ferry passengers, they may not drop off at cruise ships so you'd need to ask before boarding.

If your ship is berthed in the southern section of the port it's certainly walkable, I've done it (although it was a port day so I didn't have luggage but I did have kids with me).

If your ship is berthed at pier 10 to 13 you can easily walk. But it can be up to 30 min walking (yes, I did it and not just once).

The shuttle stop at Bramante (drop off only - from ship to Largo della Pace) or at Molo del Bicchiere (pick up only - from Largo della Pace to ship) is only available from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm. And the buses are dedicated to one ship. So you have to wait for the bus to your ship.

You can see a photo of the sign at the bus stop here.

steamboats

aka Carmen

One trip, they had a shuttle from the ship to Fort Michelangelo...and we easily walked, with rolling luggage, from there to the Hertz office (about a block from the train station)...easy flat walk...

But last cruise ending at Civitavecchia, they had a shuttle only to Fermata Bus Navetta (a parking lot off Via Prata del Turco--possibly what some are calling Largo della Pace)...and that's a pretty good distance from the train station--about a mile, though flat--across many busy streets...We have walked that--or close to it--Last visit, we stayed at the Hotel Traghetto and walked there from Hertz...and walked back and forth into the center of town--but all without luggage...The bus from there to the train station was actually quite easy...and cheap...BUT, I guess if you really love to walk, it is doable...

@Bruin Steve the stop at the Fort is long gone. Bramante / Molo del Bicchiere is close to the Fort but only served at a limited time during the day.

The parching lot is Largo della Pace - which is 20 min walking from the train station or using the 2 Euro bus. All rental car companies now have an office close to Largo della Pace.

Anyway if the ship is docked at 25 there´s no way walking and you have to take the bus to Largo della Pace.

steamboats

The walk from the train station to the port entrance is a nice mile. Plenty of shops, cafes. Pull it up on google maps if you can, because we still managed to take a couple of wrong turns the first time we did it.
We did try walking to our ship once inside the port that first time. After all, we could see it and it was just. Right. There. But there turned out to be a lot of detours and security fences. Thankfully a bus driver from a different cruise line felt sorry for the group that had accumulated and drove us all to our ships.
After that, we have waited at the port entrance and now take the free cruise shop bus to the ship.

I found this - but I believe unless you are between 11:30 and 2pm you'll be walking from the train to ship, as the Molo del Bicchiere stop isn't in service. Anyone know which pier RCCL usually docks at??

I agree with the OP, lots of backtracking from the shuttle stop back past the fort to the ships. 

Edited by cheeriomom

4 hours ago, cheeriomom said:

Anyone know which pier RCCL usually docks at??

There isn't one specific place and there are many different RC ships.  The only relatively sure thing is that the big monster ships use the berths that require a bus as they can't fit in the southern slips.

9 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

There isn't one specific place and there are many different RC ships.  The only relatively sure thing is that the big monster ships use the berths that require a bus as they can't fit in the southern slips.

The bigger ships usually docked at 25. But last time with the Symphony of the Seas we docked at 12bis.

steamboats