Meraviglia YC Pool Deck

mardavbetale

To me Divina and Seaside lack shadier areas.  I don't really like sitting in direct sunlight so thought it was better with the panels.  There are areas on the sides towards the aft of the One pool deck where there is direct sun.

14 minutes ago, Até said:

To me Divina and Seaside lack shadier areas.  I don't really like sitting in direct sunlight so thought it was better with the panels.  There are areas on the sides towards the aft of the One pool deck where there is direct sun.

Thanks for your reply.  I also don’t like sitting in direct sun for a long time so the shade will be good for me but my other half prefers direct sunlight. I also wondered if it acted like a wind brake. We’re more NCL cruisers and on their vibe deck it can get very windy. Thanks again

The one area of the YC Pool Deck that seems to need some additional shade is the seating area near the Pool Deck Grill and Bar.  One of the deck attendant's jobs was erecting/taking down some tents to shelter that area.  I felt sorry for the young man.  He struggled with making certain that the tents would not come crashing down on the deck when it was windy.  Otherwise, I thought the YC Pool Deck area on Meraviglia provided plenty of shade--or sun--whatever one wanted.  The seating was also comfortable.  

People have been complaining for years about lack of shade on Divinia YC.  Seaside they added a bit.  Mera quite a bit more.  MSC has listened to the feedback IMO.  Rather have option of shade VS little options.

12 hours ago, EMc&DrS said:

There were several sun lovers on our Mera cruise who voiced frustrations about how hard it was to find a spot in the sun!  If you want shade, this is the ship for you.

I understand your post.  I was surprised at the amount of shade there was.  Maybe it just depends upon the ship's position in relation to the Sun when those "unhappy" guests were on deck.  

Not a sun worshipper myself, the erecting of some a couple of tents near the Pool Grill/Bar made that area much more pleasant for myself than it would have otherwise been.

3 minutes ago, AceDoc said:

Still windy during high wind days, though. 

Yes!  It's location so high up on the ship may be a reason.  Having a snack or meal at the Pool Grill Bar was an interesting experience a couple of days.  

Wow just read the comments, I would disagree. The deck is shaded from the wind but there is little shade from the sun, even around the food area. We were aboard in Oct/Nov and my DH found it difficult to find shade, some people sat in the shaded eating area for 2/3 hours chatting. I love the sun but unfortunately he has has skin cancers and avoids it completely. The glass area still provided a very good sun bathing  spot.

3 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Wow just read the comments, I would disagree. The deck is shaded from the wind but there is little shade from the sun, even around the food area. We were aboard in Oct/Nov and my DH found it difficult to find shade, some people sat in the shaded eating area for 2/3 hours chatting. I love the sun but unfortunately he has has skin cancers and avoids it completely. The glass area still provided a very good sun bathing  spot.

Yes, you are correct.  The "shade" provided by the glass panels is not nearly enough to protect someone with skin cancer, but too much for those who are looking to get a tan (and many of the Europeans on board were looking for sun).   One man pulled his chair out into the pathway just to find some direct sunlight.  We rented one of the cabanas on the day we were in Cozumel, but they are located so far away from all of the action that we found it boring.  Plus, the servers forget you are even over there, so we ended up having to walk around to the bar or grill whenever we wanted anything (which isn't really a problem, except the fact that we paid for extra perks and services and ended up getting less).  I would only recommend the cabanas on Mera for people who want total isolation or who need more shade.

Maybe the erection of the portable tents depends upon the YC Pool Deck attendant?  

I felt sorry for the gentleman on my cruise.  He did his absolute best during my cruise for much of my cruise.  The wind issue was the problem.  He'd put them up.  But, even in the anchors that the stands were in, often, it was not enough to keep the tents from blowing in such a way that, if they fell, they would fall on the guests.