How Do Cruise Lines Sail Again?

jmkennett

On 3/23/2020 at 5:25 PM, Petronillus said:

It's seems plain that we're seeing the end of an era, and that may be all to the good. But I've just read a piece in The Verge that makes a strong case against offering a U.S. bailout of the cruise industry. See https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/23/21187076/cruise-line-industry-bailout-trump-coronavirus-us-companies-tax.

It makes me wonder if we are witnessing the equivalent of the Hindenberg disaster. Dirigibles were an elegant form of transoceanic transportation. But the industry died along with the Hindenberg -- even though safer alternatives to hydrogen gas were quickly discovered.

I hope we are not seeing the end of the cruise industry.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:15 AM, thyme2go said:

Make every cabin a safe zone with HEPA filtration for all air exchanged---heating and cooling.  Make sure all mold and other contaminates have been removed (HVAC) and are part of routine cleaning as in room

Well, the only air "exchanged" in a cabin is from outside the ship to outside the ship, so not sure how much HEPA filtration would help.  Fresh air is supplied to a block of cabins from a vent outside the ship, and exhaust air is taken from a block of bathrooms and sent outside the ship.  The air in the cabin is recirculated within that cabin through a fan and cooler, that is controlled by the cabin thermostat.  Heating and cooling is done via the same ducts.  Mold typically grows in HVAC ducts where the humidity is not controlled, but it is on ships, which is why so many people complain of URI, from their mucus membranes drying out.  The moisture separated in the AC system to control this humidity level, goes into a drain pan which has an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal sanitizing pad in it.  Further, each cabin is provided with positive pressure to keep smoke from migrating from the passageway in a fire.

• Thanks 1

I doubt whether this will be the end of the cruise industry however I do think this will have a significant impact.  Some re-organization and consolidation would not surprise me.   Nor would I be surprised to see a few names disappear from funnels.

I expect world cruises to be severely impacted. 

We are in our late sixties.  We travel frequently but we are not cruise hounds.  We view cruises as just one more travel option.  We have the same concern about AI`s having spent five days in one in the past two weeks.    While we always have travel plans and bucket lists in mind a cruise is simply not top of mind at the moment and I would not expect us to even consider one for at least a year, perhaps more.  We might otherwise have considered one.

I do not think that we are much different that other folks who try to prioritize and determine how to spend their travel dollars.  I suspect the tone on some of the posts that I have read appear extremely optimistic and clearly represent the thoughts of avid cruise enthusiasts.  An  average person may look at this is a different light.  Especially people who cruise with children or the elderly.

Edited by iancal

18 minutes ago, iancal said:

I doubt whether this will be the end of the cruise industry however I do think this will have a significant impact.  Some re-organization and consolidation would not surprise me.   Nor would I be surprised to see a few names disappear from funnels.

I expect world cruises to be severely impacted. 

We are in our late sixties.  We travel frequently but we are not cruise hounds.  We view cruises as just one more travel option.  We have the same concern about AI`s having spent five days in one in the past two weeks.    While we always have travel plans and bucket lists in mind a cruise is simply not top of mind at the moment and I would not expect us to even consider one for at least a year, perhaps more.  We might otherwise have considered one.

I do not think that we are much different that other folks who try to prioritize and determine how to spend their travel dollars.  I suspect the tone on some of the posts that I have read appear extremely optimistic and clearly represent the thoughts of avid cruise enthusiasts.  An  average person may look at this is a different light.  Especially people who cruise with children or the elderly.

We spent 100 days on cruise ships last year.  Our last cruise ended on March 7.

At this point we will book another until the industry is able to operate for several months without incident.

That said I would not be upset if the cruise industry came back smaller.  Reducing the number of ships home ported at any one port and reductions in the number of ships/passenger allowed into any destination port at any given time

• Like 1