Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

On 12/2/2022 at 9:44 AM, techteach said:

@Bigmike911 So good to hear from you! I’m glad you’re getting the rain you need. We had our first snow this week, and I’m looking at a skiff on the sidewalk this morning. Seattle doesn’t work well with snow due to the steep hills. I need to go to the drug store today and I’m not looking forward to it. I decorated last weekend so the grand boys could enjoy. The tree has fewer breakable decorations this year and I had to whip out a dozen crocheted snow flakes which he moves from branch to branch. I have beautiful garland that had to remain in the box. The tree looked bare, so I cut up all of our homemade covid Christmas masks from the last 2 years, cut them into strips, and enlisted the 9 year old to help me create a truly memorable garland for the tree. One week from today we will be landing in London and then boarding QM2 on the 15th. Fortnum and Mason is on our list for next Saturday. Hampers will be shipped to family this Christmas. I’m excited to see London decorated for the season.

Good Luck with Fortnums. I have tried to send gifts including Spirits and Champagne to friends in the UK and the Website seems to think that Surrey and Berkshire are not in the U.K,

Maybe shopping in person will avoid those issues, though I know they won't ship alcohol or even preserves with port to the U.S.

For years they had an offer where you could fill a small trolley with goodies and have it all shipped for 25 pounds. Hopefully that is still on offer. Check with the customer service people who used to be on Three, but could be anywhere as things tend to move at that shop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, techteach said:

@Bigmike911 The website says they can ship to the U.S. for 25. which is not a bad deal. We thought about ordering from the website but it will be more fun in person. Thanks for the heads up.

It's more fun in person, because only about 10% of the items they carry get to the web site. And with all their I.T. trouble they are a wonderful store. Kind of like the ones we used to have in the U.S. 

By the way. One of the friends in the U.K. I had to bypass F&M to send directly was able to send me a hamper as a Christmas gift. So the web site "sort of" works.

• Like 1

I'll be in London next Sunday,  I'm not sure if I'll have time to go to Fortnum's but I'll try to catch a bus for part of the journey to see the Christmas lights. 

Mr HH has gone to Pembrokeshire put the Christmas decorations up there so ours will have to wait for a bit longer. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, techteach said:

Yeah Mr. Tonopah! @D&N I’m having trouble visualizing the tree. Upload a picture please?

I bought the "Traditional Victorian" and "Vintage Santa Express" versions of these video files a few years ago. They come as intro, main and exit versions of each. I combined several of them to make a 20 minute video that we play on constant repeat. We use our old 39" TV mounted vertically and a projector mounted vertically that displays the images on a curtain, probably equivalent to an 80" screen. But we have numerous copies so can display on our main TV and PC monitors if we want, although since those are in a normal horizontal orientation the images are much smaller.

https://atmosfx.com/collections/christmas/products/virtual-christmas-tree#

• Like 1

@Bigmike911 We were at F&M around Easter a few years ago and would have loved the hampers. We’re going to prepared to purchase this year. Our church had our annual Swedish Breakfast charity event this Saturday and we were short handed. I enlisted our son and daughter in-law to wash dishes for 3 hours. I think they deserve a nice hamper in thanks. Thanks for the heads up about not being able to ship anything with alcohol. That makes perfect sense. @Host Hattie I wish you were going on Saturday! We might bump into each other.

• Like 1

It’s bitterly cold here today with the wind cutting right through. Heavy snow showers forecast for tomorrow.
Winter is definitely arriving now.

This time next year we will be getting ready for our Caribbean Christmas on QM2. We are However, getting ready for our “once in a lifetime” trip to Antarctica in January so lots to look forward to. 

• Like 2

@Camgirl Have a great time! Glad you’re getting her in shape for us.  @ronpes We walked all around Grosvenor Square park,, wonderful display of white roses in remembrance of cancer,  up to Oxford street, tons of people out shopping. Adidas had people packed in front watching the football aka soccer match. Selfridge’s windows are cute and it was packed inside. It was cold, but I was well bundled. One major problem: I decided not to ship a suitcase. Big mistake. We ended up with 4 medium suitcases, the kind you can pack to 50 lbs. although none were over 40, and 2 really really small carry-ones. Wouldn’t fit the Mercedes we ordered. Now I need to do some re-thinking on how to get from London to Southampton on Wednesday. We went to Lucky Cat for dinner and there were lots of sequins and rhinestones. I ❤️ London.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Glad to hear you're enjoying London,  there will be a lot more people watching football tomorrow evening!

Bon Voyage to those on QM2 soon.

@Host Hattie We are having a true pub experience Saturday night, and I can’t imagine how crazy it will be with the game on. It was packed when we returned from our walk. People standing outside with beers.

Safe travels for all those traveling in the days ahead. We are very envious of those about to sail but our time will come round again soon. 
We are enjoying being here in Surrey for a few days with family. Back to Scotland on Wednesday, I hope the snow has cleared by then but, probably not. 
Good luck to England tonight.
We will give the pub a miss tonight as it will be packed because of the football. 

• Like 1