US State Department Not Issuing Passports

zqvol

Wow. I actually did just renew. It said that starting March 20 they would stop accepting new applications. My payment posted on March 20 so hopefully that means mine got in by the deadline. No, I don't need to travel internationally right now; but I am planning on a trip for next February and would sure like to have a valid passport in hand before we start booking non-refundable flights.

1 hour ago, thinfool said:

That's not what I read.

I thought it was an odd article. After saying they weren't processing then they said it takes, what?, six to eight weeks?

It would be helpful to read what the State Department says, not to rely on a headline and  an incomplete/misleading press report. The only thing totally suspended is expedited service. Other services are available but limited or subject to delays:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/passport-covid-19.html

Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, effective March 20, 2020, we are only able to offer in-person service at passport agencies or centers for customers with a qualified life-or-death emergency and who need a passport for immediate international travel within 72 hours. Learn more below to see if you qualify for a life-or-death emergency appointment.

While you can still apply in person for a U.S. passport at some acceptance facilities and renew through the mail, you should expect significant delays receiving your passport and your citizenship evidence documents. Please consider waiting to apply until we resume normal operations. We suspended expedited service on March 19 and are not offering this service to any applicants.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, zqvol said:

The US State Department is not issuing passports at the current time. I doubt that anyone needs one right now, but there is no indication of how long this stoppage is going to go on.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-passport-emergencies/index.html

Nope, passports are being issued.  Just no expedited service and very limited face to face service. 

I doubt that anyone needs one right now,  Those of us living overseas are required to have a valid passport at all times. Fortunately our closest consulate is accepting applications and issuing passports,  just with delays in delivery.

Edited by crazyank