Different countries, different rules for carryon items

yiddishkopf

Prior to our 1-21 sailing on the lovely Statendam, I had posted the question as to whether or not I could put tweezers in my carry on bag. If you recall, after 9-11, tweezers were forbidden items. Lately, it was announced that scissors under 4 inches could be carried on, but I was perplexed about tweezers. What you must understand is that when one finds a good tweezer, separation anxiety results if the tweezers go missing!

I decided to put the tweezers in my packed luggage and I'm so glad I did. At our stop in Papette, Tahiti, when entering the airport, my SO's nail clipper, nail file and small scissor -- under 4 inches-- were all taken and not returned! We had already flown from LA on Air Tahiti and nothing was taken in LA!

On a previous trip to Australia in 2003, Quantas weighed our carry on bags. If the bag was over 15 pounds, they gave us a zippered tote bag to use for the absolute necessities and the remainder of the carry on was put with the shipped luggage. This time, on our Quantas flight home, it wasn't an issue!

This is a warning to those who have a favorite scissor or tweezer -- place them in shipped luggage or be in danger of suffering separation anxiety.

Thanks for the information and warning. Luckily we don't travel outside of the US much so we've not been exposed to the different standards. At the same time there have been inconsistencies in the way the rules are/were enforced even for domestic travel. For instance, somewhere my wife got a personal care kit as a give-away with a cosmetic purchase. The packaging for the kit said it met all TSA standards and, indeed, she made a number of flights with the kit in her carry-on without any mention from the security agents. Then just a few weeks ago she goes to the airport and the security folks make her pull the kit out and they removed a couple of things....I think a file and a small set of scissors (just before the scissors standard changed)...but left the tweezers and nail clippers. Go figure...... :confused:

I'd have a real problem with that 15lb carry-on rule. I place my CPAP (breathing) machine in my carry-on along with the meds, make-up, and jewelry. That CPAP must weigh 15 lbs all by itself! And there's no way I'm getting separated from it.

I haven't needed to fly for several years, and I'm making up for it this year when I need to fly several times. Can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Ruth....I believe I read that medical equipment is never counted as part of your carry-on limit. It is excluded from the weight limit (within reason) and is not counted as a 'carryon' piece that would keep you from having a purse and normal size carryon. Seeing as your CPAP fits in your carry-on, weight would be the only issue.

Archived