Alaskan Cruises In 2020 Probably DOA

A few days ago B.C. health officials announced cruise ships are not welcome this summer in Vancouver B.C.

Without the ability to make a port call in Canada Alaska cruises cannot exist due to U.S. laws barring U.S. to

U.S. travel without a foreign port of call.

Today I heard from a friend who runs two small touristy shops in Ketchikan. He told me that due to the uncertainty

they have cancelled all the orders they could and are not ordering any additional product. My friend said many people

only run these shops during the Alaskan cruise season. He also said many shop runners and workers live in the lower

48 and only come up for the short tourist season. He said even if cruising were to resume in August he doubts very few

businesses would be able to scramble to service the people. He joked and said only Diamonds Intl & Del Sol

might be able to manage.

Really sad news for the people who actually live in those Alaskan ports and depend on the summer cruise season to

augment their income.

18 hours ago, atanac said:

A few days ago B.C. health officials announced cruise ships are not welcome this summer in Vancouver B.C.

Without the ability to make a port call in Canada Alaska cruises cannot exist due to U.S. laws barring U.S. to

U.S. travel without a foreign port of call.

Today I heard from a friend who runs two small touristy shops in Ketchikan. He told me that due to the uncertainty

they have cancelled all the orders they could and are not ordering any additional product. My friend said many people

only run these shops during the Alaskan cruise season. He also said many shop runners and workers live in the lower

48 and only come up for the short tourist season. He said even if cruising were to resume in August he doubts very few

businesses would be able to scramble to service the people. He joked and said only Diamonds Intl & Del Sol

might be able to manage.

Really sad news for the people who actually live in those Alaskan ports and depend on the summer cruise season to

augment their income.

To add to your comments Canada is reevaluating the border opening to American tourist travel around the third week of June.

As excited as some are up here to get to the new normal, many north of the 49th are not that excited to see visitors from away. Alaska sailings starting in Canada will be extremely doubtful and port stops in Victoria seem just as unrealistic this year. 

A sad situation, but next year things should be back to normal. (Fingers crossed)  Hopefully your friends and the rest effected can hold on until then. 

Edited by A&L_Ont