Question about cancelling a cruie and "Lift and Switch"

I am looking for more info about Lift and Switch.

I have a cruise to Canada?New England booked for Oct. 2020. When I booked I put a $5oo non-refundable deposit down. I was told that if i cancelled the only way I could get that back was if I bought and paid for travel protection at the same time so I did.

There are 6 of us going in 3 cabins. The other day we decided that we should cancel because we are still concerned about the virus.

I called Royal Caribbean and explained that to that. They told me that even though I purchased the insurance, they do not pay it until the cruise is paid for so no i would not get back the deposit in cash but in a Future Cruise credit.  That was never explained to me when I booked it. He said if i paid the whole cruise, the insurance would only give me back 75% of the deposit plus what i paid but only under certain circumstances. A pandemic is not a covered reason. I have not cancelled yet.

So I forgot to ask but does anyone know how long the FCC is good for?  

Also looking to find out about a lift and switch. I never heard of it until i saw someone mentioning it on here. Just curious how that would work. Does that just move my deposit to another cruise? i I booked the same cruise for Oct 2021 would I get the same pricing?

thanks I appreciate any info I can get before deciding what to do.

3 minutes ago, betmust said:

I am looking for more info about Lift and Switch.

I have a cruise to Canada?New England booked for Oct. 2020. When I booked I put a $5oo non-refundable deposit down. I was told that if i cancelled the only way I could get that back was if I bought and paid for travel protection at the same time so I did.

There are 6 of us going in 3 cabins. The other day we decided that we should cancel because we are still concerned about the virus.

I called Royal Caribbean and explained that to that. They told me that even though I purchased the insurance, they do not pay it until the cruise is paid for so no i would not get back the deposit in cash but in a Future Cruise credit.  That was never explained to me when I booked it. He said if i paid the whole cruise, the insurance would only give me back 75% of the deposit plus what i paid but only under certain circumstances. A pandemic is not a covered reason. I have not cancelled yet.

So I forgot to ask but does anyone know how long the FCC is good for?  

Also looking to find out about a lift and switch. I never heard of it until i saw someone mentioning it on here. Just curious how that would work. Does that just move my deposit to another cruise? i I booked the same cruise for Oct 2021 would I get the same pricing?

thanks I appreciate any info I can get before deciding what to do.

The FCC, if issued under their Cruise With Confidence program is good to use until December 31, 2021 for cruises thru April 2022.

With L&S you can move your deposit to a new booking that is 4 weeks before or after the anniversary of the cruise to be cancelled and is the same number of days and same basic itinerary.  This will give you the same cabin type on the new sailing at the same price you that you are paying for the current one.

It is my understanding that there is also a 3rd option.  RCI will move your total deposit to a new sailing with no penalties, however you will get the new cabin at the current prevailing rates.

Steve

Four options

1. cancel now and receive a FCC  for the entire amount of the deposit.  Use by Dec 31, 2021

2. pay the full balance at final payment and if Royal cancels the cruise get a cash refund for the full amount.

3. Lift and shift to a sailing that is, the same number of nights, same itinerary type, same cabin category and 1 year in the future plus or minus 4 week.  The price is protected.

4. Move the deposit to any other sailing at prevailing rates without any penalty.

Thank you to both of you for the info.

I will check with friends and maybe do the left and switch.

So looking above at option #2,  my final payment is due July 13. I don't think it would be cancelled by then but what if i paid in full, wouldn't I lose my $$ altogether?

6 minutes ago, betmust said:

So looking above at option #2,  my final payment is due July 13. I don't think it would be cancelled by then but what if i paid in full, wouldn't I lose my $$ altogether?

6 minutes ago, betmust said:

I believe if you Lift and Shift before July 13, (as long as program is not cancelled) you will not have to pay final payment till 2021..   If you choose to make final payment and Royal cancels the cruise after payment is made you will get refunded.

Edited by Scoobydobe7

4 hours ago, betmust said:

No, if you paid in full and Royal cancels you get a 100% refund of your money.  You could still choose to cancel and get a 100% FCC. 

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No, if you paid in full and Royal cancels you get a 100% refund of your money.  You could still choose to cancel and get a 100% FCC. 

Side question, when a cruise is canceled, is the 125% FCC no longer an option, it's just 100% FCC or lift and shift now?

Edited by Jimbo

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Side question, when a cruise is canceled, is the 125% FCC no longer an option, it's just 100% FCC or lift and shift now?

Therefore still the 3 options if Royal cancels. 

Refund

L&S

125% FCC 

Edited by Ourusualbeach