Canada issuing moratorium on cruise ships until October 31st, 2020

kazu

8 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Plenty of out of control parties up here - just started later than in Florida etc due to later arrival of summer weather.

Stupidity does not recognize national boundaries.  Neither does a "lack of concern" for one's fellow man.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Stupidity does not recognize national boundaries.  Neither does a "lack of concern" for one's fellow man.  

rkacruiser - Beyond well said.  I remain concerned about the over the top negative press about the USA. There is irresponsible activity in most western countries.

In Canada, our numbers are climbing - summer is (finally) here. 

Another key element is the level of testing - it is different in each country. It will portray one country as more acute as others, which is not necessarily accurate.

Another key element is the directives of the government in each state/province/county etc - certain "directives" have been issued to list every death as COVID - which is not true. It depends upon the "agenda" of the power in each locale.

This virus has been unfortunately politicized and that means frankly - that there is No truth.

I am very suspicious of the reporting of cases in the US because of the highly acute politicized press coverage. 

There are basic measures we can all take. It will be helpful if all folks follow them. I do.

But I do Not believe the press reporting coming from the US. I would head to the USA right now to golf and winter over.  I see way too many people in Toronto not wearing masks, parents at the water parks talking together with no masks, no masks in many stores.  

It is not just the USA. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

But I do Not believe the press reporting coming from the US. I would head to the USA right now to golf and winter over.  I see way too many people in Toronto not wearing masks, parents at the water parks talking together with no masks, no masks in many stores.  

It is not just the USA. 

Are you saying the news is fake?....like fake news?

3 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

It is not just the USA. 

Good point. What a dilemma! 🙄

Should I listen to the mainstream media with reporting of the facts and figures? Quoting the medical experts!

Or should I listen to you?

Phew! I'm CON-fused.

My suggestion to you is to find out for yourself. You can fly into the States, try Miami. Enjoy yourself. Let us know how it goes! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

This virus has been unfortunately politicized and that means frankly - that there is No truth.

I appreciate your post; thank you.

I do believe the truth is "out there".  But, where?  If there was ever a time in our recent history that one needed to learn critical thinking during their education, this IS that time.  

Based upon one's knowledge of science, statistics, and how to do one's own research into an issue has become a valuable tool for me to try to determine "truth" from "fake news".  I struggle even then with the "facts" that I think I learn.

I do believe--no, I don't believe as I write this, but I pray for--that somewhere "down this journey" that the World is taking, an "accommodation" with the existence of Covid-19 will be found, if a vaccine is not discovered.  Even if an effective vaccine is developed, the percentage of those who oppose vaccines, even "flu shots", may become a societal concern for those of us who believe in science.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciate your post; thank you.

I do believe the truth is "out there".  But, where?  If there was ever a time in our recent history that one needed to learn critical thinking during their education, this IS that time.  

Based upon one's knowledge of science, statistics, and how to do one's own research into an issue has become a valuable tool for me to try to determine "truth" from "fake news".  I struggle even then with the "facts" that I think I learn.

I do believe--no, I don't believe as I write this, but I pray for--that somewhere "down this journey" that the World is taking, an "accommodation" with the existence of Covid-19 will be found, if a vaccine is not discovered.  Even if an effective vaccine is developed, the percentage of those who oppose vaccines, even "flu shots", may become a societal concern for those of us who believe in science.  

Thank you kindly rkacruiser.       

Well, if people believe everything put out there, how does a single person know what is true in these days of hyper partisanship?

Everything I read has to go through a screen and even then I do not know if it is true. This is a really bad time.

The 4th estate was established to provide evidence that validates, or not, what the politicians say. The 4th estate has essentially abandoned their role.

So, no, I believe No one. No organization. No government. But I am discerning, and I question everything.

Who speaks, what is their agenda? Who funds them? The people who fund them, what is their agenda?

Few if any, get a nod from me, and certainly not the cruise lines, goodness sakes.

6 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

So, no, I believe No one. No organization. No government. But I am discerning, and I question everything.

We are simpatico.  

Every time I visit my wine store, am I risking my life to the virus by doing so?  Errands to the grocery store, the drug store, a doctor's appointment, a meeting of the Board of Trustees for my Homeowners Association of whom I am a member.  At this stage of my life, it is very difficult to accept why I am having to accept such a lifestyle that now seems to exist for me.  I have a physical scheduled for the end of the month.  Must fast before doing so.  In a "normal" year, I would reward myself that morning following the appointment with a good restaurant breakfast.  Do I dare do so this year?  Have not been in a restaurant since early March.  Time now to do so since, the next day after that appointment will be my birthday?  A birthday dinner would be nice since there is likely to be no more cruises in my future.  Do I dare to do so?  

What a conundrum.  Stay safe doing what I have been doing with the hope that those practices/experiences will continue to keep me safe?  Or, take a risk and venture further out into a community which remains in the 3rd highest level of warnings for Covid by my State?