TA price vs RCL website

But is the OBC less if you go via the bidding site, (because the agent has to pay the bidding site its referral fee or share of the commission), instead of going directly to the agent mentioned on the bidding site?

I use the bidding site as well. Sometimes they are quoting a group rate. And SOMETIMES that group rate DOES have a refundable deposit. Each cruise is different. I have gone to one of the TAs direct after using them on the site and they actually referred me back to the site to post a bid and didn't want direct business. I thought it was odd, but whatever. I have used several companies from this site with no issues.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blondie from arizona said:

Sometimes they are quoting a group rate. And SOMETIMES that group rate DOES have a refundable deposit.

All group rates have a refundable deposit.  If your rate does not have a refundable deposit it is something other than a group rate. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 1:41 PM, suesnake2002 said:

I know the site you are referring too. I've never seen the prices discounted that much! In fact i was under the impression they couldn't undersell the cruise line like that.  But with talking to an agent, what they do is kick back some of their commision in OBC. 

I'd love to know the website but I know you cant state it here. Can you tell me what I might type into Google to find it? I tried "bidding for cruises" but nothing came up.

15 hours ago, amurray88 said:

I'd love to know the website but I know you cant state it here. Can you tell me what I might type into Google to find it? I tried "bidding for cruises" but nothing came up.

You might want to change the word to "compete".  You still need to do some homework once they start bidding, but I have not had any trouble with them.

17 hours ago, amurray88 said:

They don't bid for your business they compete with each other to get your business.

1 hour ago, blondie from arizona said:

Not the I am surprised, but my TA might have misinformed me about the group rate. She specifically told me it was not refundable. Sigh.  I do know that the group does not need to be specific to my agent. She had to go to another agent to see if I could be put with that group.

What I think happened is that your agent booked you at a regular rate room (suites, quads and other categories are not available at group rates) and then moved you into the group to get the OBC or amenity offered by the group.  Just because you are in a group does not mean that you have received the group pricing.

57 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They don't bid for your business they compete with each other to get your business.

Ah now I did find a site last year where I entered the cruise I wanted and it acted almost like "going out to tender" where it emails alot of companies and asks for their best price almost. Will it be the same website? I only got 2 responses but they were good!

3 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Ah now I did find a site last year where I entered the cruise I wanted and it acted almost like "going out to tender" where it emails a lot of companies and asks for their best price almost. Will it be the same website? I only got 2 responses but they were good!

Well that's how it works. If it had the word compete in the web address then most likely it was the same site.

18 hours ago, amurray88 said:

29 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Well that's how it works. If it had the word compete in the web address then most likely it was the same site.

I have booked with them a few times. The first time I booked I really liked the TA. I went to book directly with him the next cruise and he was no longer with the company. So I went back to let them 'compete' for my cruise. I picked one and I was somewhat happy but it wasn't the same. When I went to book the next cruise with him directly he couldn't even match what I was seeing on Royals site, which I thought was odd. Maybe he didn't like doing groups...
So back to the site again!! This time my original TA responded! I have been very happy ever since and he has been helping my family and friends too 🙂

• Like 1

Yep I'd agree - really enjoyed going through that way. That was for an MSC cruise (unfortunately it got cancelled). I live in the UK but found booking through a US TA much much cheaper...that was until booking for next year on RCI where UK has worked out cheaper.

Strange but when booking I'd recommend looking at 2-3 different countries for pricing.

• Like 1

You might want to change the word to "compete".  You still need to do some homework once they start bidding, but I have not had any trouble with them.
I have read that all the agents who bid for your Cruise are not reliable. (most are reliable)
At least one of them uses a bait and switch tactic.
Complaints about them on BBB and yelp.com

10 minutes ago, drsel said:

I have read that all the agents who bid for your Cruise are not reliable. (most are reliable)
At least one of them uses a bait and switch tactic.
Complaints about them on BBB and yelp.com

Yep I did experience an agent like that.  I use the site when I first set out to price a cruise just to see what's out there. I have never actually used an agent from that site but it's a good tool to see what's going on. 

I always leave details in the comment section as to what I'm looking for such as midship ocean view balcony, looking for a group rate and I also tell them what I can get through the Cruise line with my status. Some try to be slick and will include the cruise lines perks as if they were coming from the travel agent. It happens a lot with Celebrity bookings since Celebrity includes the drink package in their pricing.

Yep I did experience an agent like that.  I use the site when I first set out to price a cruise just to see what's out there. I have never actually used an agent from that site but it's a good tool to see what's going on. 

I always leave details in the comment section as to what I'm looking for such as midship ocean view balcony, looking for a group rate and I also tell them what I can get through the Cruise line with my status. Some try to be slick and will include the cruise lines perks as if they were coming from the travel agent. It happens a lot with Celebrity bookings since Celebrity includes the drink package in their pricing.
Does Celebrity still give a complimentary classic unlimited beverage package with an Ocean view or above?

2 minutes ago, drsel said:
11 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Does Celebrity still give a complimentary classic unlimited beverage package with an Ocean view or above?

I believe they do but not as complimentary as it was when it started out. Now they have pricing with and without the drink package. Best to hold off for a sale when they offer more than one perk. I priced out Royal and Celebrity and it was a better deal to book the Anthem out of NJ and buy the drink package for $50 a day for a 9 day cruise than to book Celebrity for a 7 day cruise with the included drink package.

17 minutes ago, drsel said:
26 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

2 perks included inside to Balcony.  Sales often  include 3 perks. All 4 included for suites 

Edited by Ourusualbeach