UK Flight Prices?

I booked last week for Rhapsody next October from somewhere which is nowhere near Venice.  At the time they could not quote me flight prices but said phone back in a week.  I have phoned today and would be interested in others opinions.  I wish to book through RCI as it then becomes their problem if the flight is changed etc.

I did this route in 2017 when RCI were paying for the flights.  Yes I know the cruise price was put up to reflect the "free" flights.  The cost then for the flights was £300 each if I had had to pay.   Flying with Jet2

My ideal choice is Edinburgh to Venice.   They have quoted me £575 each to fly.

Newcastle to Venice is about the same.

Glasgow they can't get a price.

I checked for Manchester to Venice and its a far more reasonable £335.  I could go down the night before and stay overnight in hotel.  I have so many hotel points it would be "free".

My choices seem to be take Manchester.  However the flights are non-cancellable so if for some reason I wanted to shift the cruise I would still have to pay for the flights.

Wait till 11 months out and see what the prices are then when the flights become generally available.

What have others paid if you don't mind posting?

I'm currently looking at return trip back from our TA & follow on cruise on Rhapsody with departure of 5 May 21 fro FCO to JFK, current price is $677.92 for 2 pax.

With the current situation going on, how far out would you recommend booking airline ticked to lock in these low rates? 

We just had our flight cancelled with Norwegian (the TA cruise was cancelled last week), they are offering 20% extra to have it as a credit rather than a refund, I also notice that they are offering free changes in the future, I've also seen some other airlines allowing flexible fares now.   One thing this has taught me is to either book the flight with the cruiseline or direct, We had a cruise cancelled in may which was booked via one of the big comparison sites, when it was cancelled they charged a huge fee to give us a refund even though it was not our fault.   

Are you absolutely sure you need to book the flights with the cruiseline? The reason I ask is that we flew Easyjet to Venice in October the year before last and the base price was £13.50 before paying for bags (and seats if you wish). I see that Easyjet fly from Edinburgh to Venice too and would think you'll find similar cheap pricing in October, unless it's half term - in which case prices will obviously be much higher.

You mention about shifting the cruise and the flights being non- cancellable. You can always shift flights with Easyjet and pay a change fee of around £30 to do so - we've done it several times before. In fact currently they are not charging a change fee, although flights have not yet been released beyond May. Take a look at the cost of this year's flights on the dates you would be going to get an idea of how much they may cost.

£575 seems a ridiculous price to pay for flights to Venice, especially when RC only seem to use the budget airlines anyway.

I would also add that if you are not planning to stay any time in Venice before the cruise you would have to transfer to Ravenna, which is the new departure port. In that case you may be better flying into Bologna if you can find a flight from one of your preferred airports, as that's much closer to Ravenna.

Edited by Bobal

33 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Are you absolutely sure you need to book the flights with the cruiseline? The reason I ask is that we flew Easyjet to Venice in October the year before last and the base price was £13.50 before paying for bags (and seats if you wish). I see that Easyjet fly from Edinburgh to Venice too and would think you'll find similar cheap pricing in October, unless it's half term - in which case prices will obviously be much higher.

You mention about shifting the cruise and the flights being non- cancellable. You can always shift flights with Easyjet and pay a change fee of around £30 to do so - we've done it several times before. In fact currently they are not charging a change fee, although flights have not yet been released beyond May. Take a look at the cost of this year's flights on the dates you would be going to get an idea of how much they may cost.

£575 seems a ridiculous price to pay for flights to Venice, especially when RC only seem to use the budget airlines anyway.

I would also add that if you are not planning to stay any time in Venice before the cruise you would have to transfer to Ravenna, which is the new departure port. In that case you may be better flying into Bologna if you can find a flight from one of your preferred airports, as that's much closer to Ravenna.

I do understand your points but it will be half term.  I have just done a dummy booking for later this year and its coming out at just under the £619 for the four of us.  Thats will luggage etc.   However they also don't fly on our sail day for it would mean hotel the night before and after.  The transfer is curently free with RCI.   I had a slight disagreement with them this morning when they insisted it would not be free but 10 minutes later agreed it was.

I have no wish to spend more than I need but equally did have a problem some time ago with a non-packaged part of a holiday which caused no end of issues.  I could move the cruise but time is limited on when we can go as we have a pando in the Summer which leaves nothing around it bookable due to its dates.   Also would face the same issues re flights unless leaving from Southampton and there isn't a lot from their next year.

In that case I fully understand. I remember the days of getting stung for half term prices - and it puts a totally different perspective on it when it involves getting kids back and having no flexibility on dates. Sounds like the RC flights may be the way to go.

19 minutes ago, Bobal said:

In that case I fully understand. I remember the days of getting stung for half term prices - and it puts a totally different perspective on it when it involves getting kids back and having no flexibility on dates. Sounds like the RC flights may be the way to go.

The kids are fine.  Its the OH who is a lecturer and has to get back!   Typical  after years of having to take the school holidays, now I still have to take them. 

I just for the sake of it looked at the Jet2 flights and was very surprised to find I could book the flights for the exact dates next year.   The price is half what RCI are wanting to charge.   Anyone know if I can get them to shift on their price?

Edited by Dinglebert
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, little britain said:

I have just swapped flights on the EJ page. As Bobal says, it couldn’t be easier and there was no admin fee.  

As said they don't fly on my sail days.  I am currently on the phone to RCI pointing ouit their 110% guarantee about flights. they want double what I can get it direct from Jet2.  Its the same flight and seats they are quoting me.

1 hour ago, little britain said:

I have just swapped flights on the EJ page. As Bobal says, it couldn’t be easier and there was no admin fee.  

That's a limited time offer as they dtravel not want inundating with calls, think it's free only if  flights cancelled.

7 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

That's a limited time offer as they dtravel not want inundating with calls, think it's free only if  flights cancelled.

I swapped my flights in December to a different airport departure and date with no issue on the app.  There is even a link on the first page taking you to the amendment site.

Cost €5pp difference in fare; their flights are dirt cheap at the mo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiser man 60 said:

No it's not. We have flights booked to Portugal in September (booked last November) and we've changed the flights to extend our holiday since we've already lost out on 2 holidays this year.

Ok must depend on dates, i priced up moving some in July to next year and price difference was large c £80 each plus fee change. we're members of the flight club so wouldn't need to pay changes but just waiting to see if flights get cancelled first so get completely free change.

Not that much further on, despite over 3 hours of calls to RCI today.

In short, I got the prices the first time.  Thought they were too high.

I checked and Jet2 have the flights online and bookable for next October at around 60% of the cost of RCI even though its exactly the same flight and seats.   I want the protection of booking via RCI in case of issues.

I phoned again and spent well over 70 minutes explaining.   I also came across this page.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/plan-a-cruise/transportation

which highlights the price guarantee and potentially 110% cabin credit.  Their system couldn't match the Jet2 price which they couldn't understand.  Equally the page I highlighted to them was also news to them. Normally its only on the USA site but for some reason has also ended up on the UK site.

Call 2 ended with me being cutoff just at the crucial time, meaning a third call of just short of an hour.   I have emailed all the details and screen shots.  They agree that the webpage is there.  All now being sent to head office and a call back tomorrow or next day.

My confusion is that on each of the three calls they gave me wildly different costs for the flights from Edinburgh.  They quote a total cabin cost so therefore for two people.  First time it was £1131 this morning,  Second one this afternoon was £930, last one this afternoon was £814 which is getting closer to the Jet2 price.

Update

RCI phoned me this evening.  The webpage I had forwarded to them was for USA only but they acknowleged it had appeared on the UK site.  Therefore they honoured it.  That leaves with with two diametrically opposed opinions.  Firstly thanks for honouring it, secondly why should we in the UK get a lesser service than in the USA.

Anyway they could reduce the price of the flights therefore I got the 110% difference as room credit which makes booking extras just that little bit easier.

My main aim in all of it was to have my flight tied to my cruise and be RCI problem rather than mine.