How long is it taking for deposit refunds currently?

We had a small deposit on a cruise later this year.  I called and canceled it today.  The deposit was refundable and I cancelled well before the final payment was due, so no problem.  The person insisted that all refunds would take 90 days.  I'm sure she was mistaken and that deposits are being refunded much faster than fully paid for cruises that have been canceled.  I believe I've seen people post here that they received deposits back in 5 to7 days.  Anybody have very recent experience with this?  No big deal, I'm just curious.  TIA

I'm not sure about deposit refunds but I'm still waiting for full refund and excursion refund ... 113 days now. Not sure if anything takes priority at the moment?

Edited by rachiem

7 hours ago, rachiem said:

I'm not sure about deposit refunds but I'm still waiting for full refund and excursion refund ... 113 days now. Not sure if anything takes priority at the moment?

I feel (felt?) your pain.  We just got a large refund for a different cruise that was paid for in full.  I had made final payment only days before COVID hit the news on that one.  I did get that refund in 60 days and others here have reported the same.  This is only a $100 deposit but I know I've seen people post that deposits only are still being refunded normally (i.e. in just a few days) so I'm curious.  I see you are in the UK so I know the terms are a bit different regarding deposits there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heyref said:

they said 90 days.

Are they lying???  Couldn't be.....

My long-term impression is that NCL just never bothers to tell their lowly call center workers much of anything.  Cruise Critic folks have always been a far better source of info.

In only took 30 days for NCL to return our deposit.  They told us to expect 90 days to put our $1000 deposit back on our credit card.  This is about a current as it gets.  We received the refund within the last few days. Hope things get back to normal so we can all start cruising again.

On 7/18/2020 at 2:38 AM, rachiem said:

My TA put my final payment on the wrong card (Mar 11). So she called NCL the same day and had them put final payment on the correct card. However, we were charged for this cruise on BOTH cards ($6616 on both cards). We were told that the wrong card charge would be reversed in 7-10 days. It has now been 130 days, we have had to put in two claims with our credit card (two have been denied, we are now on claim #3). I'm furious that what should have been an easy fix, has turned into this fight to make things right!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Math teacher said:

My TA put my final payment on the wrong card (Mar 11). So she called NCL the same day and had them put final payment on the correct card. However, we were charged for this cruise on BOTH cards ($6616 on both cards). We were told that the wrong card charge would be reversed in 7-10 days. It has now been 130 days, we have had to put in two claims with our credit card (two have been denied, we are now on claim #3). I'm furious that what should have been an easy fix, has turned into this fight to make things right!

We had a similar experience with a hotel.  DH and I paid for everyone's rooms (adult kids with spouses) in full and well in advance on our card as a family Christmas gift.  Several of our kids checked in a few hours before us and were asked for a credit card at check in.  (We did see this coming as we are aware that it is a standard procedure, however, we had discussed it with the Manager who neglected to inform his desk clerk.)  Of course, all the cards were charged, resulting in double billing.  It took us several months to straighten it all out.  Part of the problem was that credit card companies are reluctant to interfere when the card(s) were physically present during the transaction.  Take away lesson is NEVER let a company get more than one credit card number for the same thing.  (Apologies to readers as this whole subject is way off-topic.  Just thought this might be a cautionary tale for other frequent travelers.)    

I called NCL on July 10th to cancel our Dec 26th cruise - so only on deposit at this point.  The NCL rep told me it would take 5-7 days for the refund to come back to my card.  I thanked him, but truly was prepared to wait 90-120 days.

Got notification from Amex yesterday - 7 days later - that NCL credited back my deposits.  Very fast for me.

1 minute ago, msmayor said:

I called NCL on July 10th to cancel our Dec 26th cruise - so only on deposit at this point.  The NCL rep told me it would take 5-7 days for the refund to come back to my card.  I thanked him, but truly was prepared to wait 90-120 days.

Got notification from Amex yesterday - 7 days later - that NCL credited back my deposits.  Very fast for me.

Thanks!  That's what I was pretty sure I had seen in a few posts lately.  I'm guessing that this is because NCL's computers were already set up to quickly refund deposits but refunding cruises that are past the final payment date was something that was never done before COVID so the computers couldn't handle it.  Along with many others who applied for a refund of a fully paid cruise on 6/7 (different cruise) I got that one refunded in 60 days.  It would seem that they been able to reconfigure their refund IT recently.

37 minutes ago, tandgmcewen said:

We have been waiting since june 11 for our deposit back for our October cruise.  TA said could be up to 90 days so we just wait and see.

Yes, wait and see. Heaven forbid NCL reach out to it's customers with a proactive update. They just keep everyone guessing.

Thank you for sharing my biggest concern is that I put down a $250 deposit for a Cranksgiving Cruise and hope to get that back. I haven’t read through all of the posts because I stopped on yours. Was it easy peasy lemon squeezy to get the deposit back? How does that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

6 minutes ago, LouisiANNA said:

Thank you for sharing my biggest concern is that I put down a $250 deposit for a Cranksgiving Cruise and hope to get that back. I haven’t read through all of the posts because I stopped on yours. Was it easy peasy lemon squeezy to get the deposit back? How does that work?

Judging by your name I am guessing you are in the United States and booked it in the usual way, which would mean your deposit is fully refundable.  You can call NCL any time before the final payment date, cancel your reservation and ask them to put the money back on whatever credit card you used.  Very easy but you do have to call.  If you do nothing until after the final payment date they will keep your deposit.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LouisiANNA said:

It was incredibly easy.  One phone call - I wasn't on hold for more than five minutes and once I reached the agent I explained I wanted to cancel three reservations (family cruise for the holidays) and we went one at a time...I gave him the reservation numbers and he said he completed the cancellation.  The whole call wasn't longer than 10-15 minutes.  He told me the deposits would be returned back to the credit card I used (I paid the deposit for all three staterooms) and that's exactly how it happened.

• Like 2