Using FCC - policy change?

DCGuy64

I couldn't find a thread for this particular issue so I'm starting this one.

Does anyone know about a change to MSC's policy regarding the use of Future Cruise Credit for a new booking? Specifically:

1. The type of cabin and experience level have to be the same

2. The booking number for the cancelled cruise is moved to the new ship and itinerary

The reason for my post is that this morning, I attempted to finalize a booking I made yesterday for a cabin (YIN) on the Virtuosa for 8/15/2021 and it appears I'd gotten the last one. I was trying to use the FCC that I received in May from MSC for our cancelled Preziosa cruise on 5/19/2020. Incidentally, the FCC only took 23 days from the time our TA requested it. When I attempted to pay for my booking, I was told by the representative that 1) since we used a TA for the initial booking, he would have to be on the phone with us in order to apply the FCC and 2) that she was unable to book the cabin I'd reserved because her system said those cabins were fully booked. Anyway, my point is that when I received the certificate, I assumed it could be used for payment for any future booking and any type of cabin. However, MSC's website only gives credit card options to make cruise payments. Apparently, you have to phone if you want to use the certificate, but if by chance the cabin you reserved is the last one of its type, you're out of luck. My only option would have been to cancel my booking entirely and hope the cabin I just gave up would appear in the system immediately for the representative to book. I was told that although MSC initially did allow people to book any cabin/any sailing, they changed their policy (she didn't say when) so that it has to be the same type of cabin/experience level. Actually, the Preziosa cabin was a Deluxe Yacht Club Suite and MSC said I'd have to pay $4300 pp to use the FCC (which is only worth $2396). I don't want a Deluxe, I want a YC Inside which is what I just booked.

She also said that instead of creating a new booking number, they would need to carry over the booking number from the cancelled cruise. I was able to get my TA on the phone with the representative and do a 3-way call, in which she asked him to confirm my DOB, passengers' names and the original booking number. Then at some point we got disconnected.

At this point I have a new booking and I'm hoping/praying that our travel agent will at some point be able to get the FCC applied to it. I follow MSC's press releases pretty closely, but this new procedure is news to me and their website doesn't mention it. Sorry for the long post!

We were told we could only use the FCC from our canceled October cruise through the TA we had. TA had to use the same booking number and just change the dates.

We were not allowed to get the additional promos offered at that time because it was not considered a “new” booking. We booked the same YC deluxe suite so I don’t know if that mattered as it did in your case. 

MSC said it was done this way to protect the TA’s who stood to lose their commissions from all the cancellations. 

It is true that they carry over the old reservation to the new one.  It is the same booking number and all.  As far as same cabin type, its not required.  If you placed a hold on a new one, you will have to release it for them to be able to get it.  I did this recently and she grabbed it as soon as I released it.  My challenge right now is getting them to apply the VC 5+5 promo on the new booking, since it still shows as the old booking it appears ineligible based on the booking date.

I thought all those FCC have been erased already. I am surprised people are still planning to use them. Even though I have no FCC and I had no intention to get them either (when my cruise got cancelled), I still think its a good thing to use when you will be purchasing your next cruise. As long as FCC can be used to purchase your upgrade your current cruise - sounds more than fine to me 

10 minutes ago, slei15 said:

It is true that they carry over the old reservation to the new one.  It is the same booking number and all.  As far as same cabin type, its not required.  If you placed a hold on a new one, you will have to release it for them to be able to get it.  I did this recently and she grabbed it as soon as I released it.  My challenge right now is getting them to apply the VC 5+5 promo on the new booking, since it still shows as the old booking it appears ineligible based on the booking date.

Thanks. My TA says the same thing you did, ie that you don't have to book the same cabin type. However, the MSC rep (who might be mistaken) says it has to be the same. I think the sticking point for us is that there are apparently no YIN cabins to be had-at the moment. Inventory changes all the time. We'll just wait it out for now. Thanks again for your reply.

My TA worked with an MSC phone agent (USA) who said that they couldn't apply my FCC yet (because the FCC wasn't finished processing) but that I should book the new cruise I wanted (with a new deposit) and that once my FCC was ready, they would cancel the new reservation and use the old reservation number/FCC to rebook the cabin. So my new deposit would be refunded.

Incidentally, it is not the same cabin type, it's a change from Fantastica to Aurea. And they seem to think this will work. I was willing to pay the new deposit because it was only $98 total, and this is the only MSC cruise that I can find in the next two years that we want to sail, so I didn't want to miss out on the cabin. I'm skeptical, but it will be my TA's to follow through on, and it's what she advised, so we will see. She seemed to think that we would be able to keep the 4th of July promotion from the new booking and apply the old res #. I hope it works!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

My TA worked with an MSC phone agent (USA) who said that they couldn't apply my FCC yet (because the FCC wasn't finished processing) but that I should book the new cruise I wanted (with a new deposit) and that once my FCC was ready, they would cancel the new reservation and use the old reservation number/FCC to rebook the cabin. So my new deposit would be refunded.

Incidentally, it is not the same cabin type, it's a change from Fantastica to Aurea. And they seem to think this will work. I was willing to pay the new deposit because it was only $98 total, and this is the only MSC cruise that I can find in the next two years that we want to sail, so I didn't want to miss out on the cabin. I'm skeptical, but it will be my TA's to follow through on, and it's what she advised, so we will see. She seemed to think that we would be able to keep the 4th of July promotion from the new booking and apply the old res #. I hope it works!

Thank you for this. My TA said he was able to have the FCC applied to this new reservation (which now has my OLD booking number from the cancelled cruise). I don't know the status of the $98 deposit I'd already paid, but my TA believes that will be carried over, as well. Right now the sticking point is the cabin, the website gives me a cabin number (it's a YC1, aka Yacht Club Deluxe Suite), however the Web Check-in tool says my cabin hasn't been assigned. At any rate, we're not in any hurry, we have a reservation and final payment isn't due until, I believe, next May, so there's plenty of time to iron things out. My TA told me to wait a few days for MSC to fix things, and that's what we'll do.

• Like 1