Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

I can help you there @bluemarble .

Puerto Princesa The Welcome....

PuertoPrincesaarrivalwelcome.thumb.jpg.71b4345c0ea6cdb3d0b9fddbe6763b8f.jpg

Puerto Princesa Bay Walk Promenade

BayWalkSRCapwithShip.thumb.jpg.41a3b39f08f9e01c2168b9500b7aff7a.jpg

Puerto Princesa is a very good visit. As one who usually seeks out some military history there is also to be found here a  particular piece of WWII infamy at Plaza Cuartel...

PlazaCuartelentrance.thumb.jpg.1e2149a5cdcdb50f8e63edd75034eeff.jpg

PlazaCuartelentranceplaque.thumb.jpg.4b164fb2e90bcd93fa2fa4c80c84a4bb.jpg

PalawanMassacreVictimRosterMemorialcloseup.thumb.jpg.abaa13116d7a74d4d0347c37e98f39eb.jpg

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

She then continues round to Keelung (for Taipei), or so cruise mapper says.

Like you @sfred , I too have done Taipei (from Keelung) and Taichung. Indeed, if my memory is correct I placed a photograph of Keelung Cruise Terminal on this thread during the pandemic...

KeelungCruiseTerminal.thumb.jpg.01895163cf9a77be54fc73a08bce1781.jpg

and sailing into Taichung...

WelcometoKaochingHarbour.thumb.jpg.f06b142d0539939f7ef7221cf30013ba.jpg

Thank you very much, @Solent Richard. We can now move both Puerto Princesa, Philippines and Kaohsiung, Taiwan from our "unseen" Cunard ports list to our "seen" list. Welcome back to our game!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NE John said:

Wild guess based on container port with mountains and evergreens — Seattle/Tacoma?

Sorry, no, that's not Seattle/Tacoma.

Seattle is one of the intriguing locations on our seen ports list marked with the footnote "*unable to verify as a Cunard port". You would think Seattle would have been a Cunard port at some point in the past. But my research has come up empty so far. All the Alaska itineraries I've been able to find, even from decades before Cunard returned to Alaska with QE, apparently sailed out of Vancouver or Victoria.

A recent survey I received from Cunard asked my opinion of sailing out of Seattle as an alternative to Vancouver. So who knows, we might see a future Cunard itinerary including Seattle.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Let's try this webcam image from my archives. I don't think I've posted this one before. I've cropped identifying information from the top of the image. More port cranes to work with on this one!

Excellent!  A Cunard port with cargo cranes.  Well, here goes another few percentages of my eyesight.  This looks like Lyttelton, New Zealand, the port for Christchurch.  There's a good match to the green cranes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Seattle is one of the intriguing locations on our seen ports list marked with the footnote "*unable to verify as a Cunard port". You would think Seattle would have been a Cunard port at some point in the past.

It is a big stretch, but the Cunard liner Parthia later became the SS Victoria of the Alaska Steamship Company, and was based in Seattle.  The ship's history is in the below link.

https://seattle.fandom.com/wiki/SS_Victoria

43 minutes ago, sfred said:

Excellent!  A Cunard port with cargo cranes.  Well, here goes another few percentages of my eyesight.  This looks like Lyttelton, New Zealand, the port for Christchurch.  There's a good match to the green cranes.

Correct. That's a capture from the "LCT Shipside 4" webcam found on the Lyttelton Port Company's website (lpc.co.nz). It's from QE's call there earlier this year on January 12th.

34 minutes ago, sfred said:

It is a big stretch, but the Cunard liner Parthia later became the SS Victoria of the Alaska Steamship Company, and was based in Seattle.  The ship's history is in the below link.

https://seattle.fandom.com/wiki/SS_Victoria

Yeah, I'm afraid it's too much of a stretch to unconditionally count calls by ships when they weren't owned by Cunard. The entry for Richards Bay, South Africa is a similar case. I can place Saga Rose, (ex Sagafjord), there but not when she was owned by Cunard. Hence the asterisk relating to the photo that was submitted for Richards Bay as well.

8 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Yeah, I'm afraid it's too much of a stretch to unconditionally count calls by ships when they weren't owned by Cunard. The entry for Richards Bay, South Africa is a similar case. I can place Saga Rose, (ex Sagafjord), there but not when she was owned by Cunard. Hence the asterisk relating to the photo that was submitted for Richards Bay as well.

Definitely agreed that particular stretch extends way too far.  But I enjoyed reading about the varied history of the Parthia.  She had a few other owners and roles in between Cunard and Alaska Steamship Company, including with the Canadian Pacific Railway. 

I was also unsuccessful in finding direct Cunard historical proof for Seattle.  There must be something, though.  I might return to the quest at some pont.

• Like 1

For other fans of cargo cranes who have any remaining eyesight, here is the largest collection of cranes I think I've ever photographed, taken from the deck of a Cunard ship upon departure.  This is an already seen (and frequently visited) Cunard port.

image.thumb.png.1f793790f46b69ea7c335436fbd9b794.png

3 minutes ago, NE John said:

Another guess from a rookie here: Hamburg. That’s an enormous number of cranes. 

Hamburg is correct, well done!  Mrs sfred took this during our QM2 departure from Hamburg, on 1 July 2015 at the start of the 175th anniversary crossing to NY.  We too were awed by the number of cranes.

Wow! Pure guess. 
I used to work for the Port Authority of NY  NJ…I’ve seen a few cranes back in the days. 
Rotterdam has a forest of container cranes too but not much cruise ship activity, as much as I know. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I may have figured this one out. Is it a view of the Bosporus approaching the entrance to the Black Sea?

Yes!  Since you read my previous Pearls of the Black Sea post, you got it. 

This is a pretty rare photo because, as mentioned, the port authority closed down the Bosporus for Cunard’s maiden voyage to the Black Sea so you see there are no other ships in the waterway. 

9 minutes ago, NE John said:

Yes!  Since you read my previous Pearls of the Black Sea post, you got it. 

This is a pretty rare photo because, as mentioned, the port authority closed down the Bosporus for Cunard’s maiden voyage to the Black Sea so you see there are no other ships in the waterway. 

If I had remembered to check your previous posts, which I usually do but didn't this time, I might have figured this one out sooner! It was actually the flagpole on the right with a red flag on it that got me thinking it could be Turkey and the Bosporus was a logical place to look as a cruise-by location in Turkey. Examination of other available images of the Bosporus at the entrance to the Black Sea is what eventually convinced me of the identification. There is just enough detail along the shoreline in your photo to make that possible.

• Like 1

Thanks for your recent photo, @NE John.  My first thought was Messina also.

Here is a webcam screenshot of an already-seen port.  Our game's previous contribution for this port (which was not posted by me) was taken from a ship but did not feature a Cunard ship.  Sorry for the tilted angle - that's the webcam, not the port.  🙂image.png.c240a916ebe745322582dfeec0bcf658.png

5 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks for your recent photo, @NE John.  My first thought was Messina also.

Here is a webcam screenshot of an already-seen port.  Our game's previous contribution for this port (which was not posted by me) was taken from a ship but did not feature a Cunard ship.  Sorry for the tilted angle - that's the webcam, not the port.  🙂image.png.c240a916ebe745322582dfeec0bcf658.png

The Straight of Messina is wider than these straights. When going up the Bosporus, it looks very much like going through the Hudson River several miles north of NYC. 

As for Messina, the Italians are planning to build the longest suspension bridge in the world to span that Straight. 

Not sure about this next port yet…

• Like 1

I am so jealous of you who can play this game. I haven’t traveled enough to be able to identify your pictures, but I love your game and learn from it. Thank you! (P.S. I DO love the straits of Messina - all of the speed boats with the guys in very tiny swim trunks trying to keep up…and the beautiful fishing boats) Someday I hope I get to post a picture of a Cunard ship in Seattle!

• Like 4