Travel Protection Enhancement Notice

pieces of 8

TRAVEL PROTECTION PROGRAM ENHANCEMENT

Dear Valued Guests,

Oceania Cruises is pleased to advise you of certain benefit enhancements recently added to the Travel Protection Program. The plan enhancements detailed below are designed to provide increased protection and more confidence to our guests during these unprecedented times.

Benefit

Enhancement

Medical Expenses – Maximum Benefit

Now $20,000 limit

(previously$10,000 limit)

Trip Interruption – Maximum Benefit

Now 150% of Total Trip Cost*

(previously 100% of trip cost)

*Not to exceed $75,000

Trip Interruption – Additional Expenses*

Now $200 Per Day

(previously $100 per day)

*If you must extend your trip with additional hotel nights due to a Physician certifying that you cannot fly home due to a sickness or injury which does not require hospitalization or if your traveling companion is sick or injured and must remain hospitalized, the plan will now provide reimbursement for reasonable additional accommodation and transportation expenses you incur, up to $200 per day.

I might agree in general but  ... I had smooth and very prompt coverage from insurance I bought through O. Two years ago i was hospitalized for six days and released two days before sailing. The TA got me the forms and I had the physician sign and submitted the claim.... was reimbursed in less than two weeks by the insurance company. 

I received the same notice, forwarded by my TA.  I read the notice and the linked policy as closely as a layman can read any of those things.  Nowhere did I see any mention of Covid.  Lots of trip insurance and emergency evacuation policies specifically exclude everything Covid-related, and they say so right up front.  What about this one?  To me, silence on the issue means you're not covered.  

All well and good that this new enhancement covers you if "a physician certifies that you cannot fly home due to a sickness or injury which does not require hospitalization."  That would seem to be the case for most of us if we are all put ashore at the nearest port because one or more passengers test positive for Covid mid-cruise.  We aren't sick or injured, but we will probably be quarantined for two weeks at our expense before we're allowed to fly home.  Does this policy cover that?  Inquiring minds want to know....

On 11/1/2020 at 7:53 PM, DrHemlock said:

We aren't sick or injured, but we will probably be quarantined for two weeks at our expense before we're allowed to fly home.  Does this policy cover that?  Inquiring minds want to know....

+1, we just boycotted an annual family get together of some thirty years standing because of just that type of thing.  

True re Allianz.  

However, to be clear for members who aren't cruise insurance mavens, the Travel Protection Program Enhancement sent by Oceania and posted above is not affiliated with Allianz.  

Even with the Allianz policy (which I have not read), the question remains: What if you're not sick but you've been exposed to Covid aboard ship and, therefore, are not allowed to fly home without first being quarantined for two weeks at the port where you've been off-loaded?  Does that count as "trip interruption,"  meaning you are covered for expenses?  It apparently does not with O's new TPPE, which states you must be sick or injured even though not requiring hospitalization.  

Admittedly nit-picking here, but it's always the nits of insurance policies that bite you in the end. 

• Like 1