I'm cashing in my chips

glentally

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Celebrity has set itself apart by making itself inclusive. Their base price includes standard drink pkg, which includes juices, coffees and mixed drinks, wifi and gratuities. So prices will always be higher. Though the good thing is loyalty level transfers from rcl for me. People have posted their rcl level gave them higher loyalty on msc, maybe someone here knows if it transfers from carnival. MSC has been very accommodative in the past.

Princess had a promotion in the past called Best Sale Ever and it became so popular that they now offer a two tier system with regards to booking cabins.  One is a no frills base fare and the other "Value Plan"  costs 40.00 per day additional.  When you factor out the included gratuities of 14.50 per day, for the balance of 25.50 per day you get their drinks package as well as wifi. 

Regarding MSC, they do in fact match loyalty levels.  Carnival Platinum will correlate to MSC Gold.  I assume that RCI's Diamond would as well.  Need to be Diamond with Carnival and I assume Diamond Plus with RCI to correlate with MSC Black.

40 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

If they are going to cancel February cruises, I wish they'd do it now.  We booked  with a reduced deposit, then not knowing this was going to happen, I put down an additional $500 when the AMEX offer came around.  The final payment is due December 7th.  If I cancel, I stand to lose $463.  If they cancel, I get it all back.  Like others above, I have no intention of sailing with the current restrictions and will not book another one until cruising is back to normal again.  That may never happen and if not, we'll find another way to enjoy our vacations.

It bothers me to see so many on here condemning people that say they won't cruise until it's safe again.  I don't consider being safe as "living in a bubble" as a few have stated.

Dick.....don't know where or how long your February cruise is, but unless it's out of Miami or Port Canaveral, it will probably be cancelled.  If it's out of 1 of those ports and 6 or 7 days, it could be also be reduced down to a 3 or 4 day cruise since February may or may not be during the trial phase of cruises returning.

I would just wait and make your final payment on 12/7.  There is a substantially better than 50/50 chance that your cruise will be cancelled, you'll be able to get your refund eventually and then you can sit on the sidelines till late 2022 or whenever you feel cruising is back to normal again.

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Princess had a promotion in the past called Best Sale Ever and it became so popular that they now offer a two tier system with regards to booking cabins.  One is a no frills base fare and the other "Value Plan"  costs 40.00 per day additional.  When you factor out the included gratuities of 14.50 per day, for the balance of 25.50 per day you get their drinks package as well as wifi. 

Regarding MSC, they do in fact match loyalty levels.  Carnival Platinum will correlate to MSC Gold.  I assume that RCI's Diamond would as well.  Need to be Diamond with Carnival and I assume Diamond Plus with RCI to correlate with MSC Black.

Celebrity is a 3 tier booking. First base tier is as above, tips, drinks, wifi, 2nd is higher cost drinks, 200 toward excursion mid pkg wifi, plus more. 3rd is top drinks, fastest wifi, includes obc to spend on whatever you want.

Rcl says please keep it, wipes out perks from loyalty giving it to everyone. I havent seen it discussed here on carnival but I'm guessing they want to keep a base price like princess and cheaper cruise prices. Rcl perks include free drinks at diamond and free wifi at pinnacle. 

But over the years I do see carnival adding more and more things matching other. Like I mentioned bubbles on newest ship mardi gras. 

21 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Dick.....don't know where or how long your February cruise is, but unless it's out of Miami or Port Canaveral, it will probably be cancelled.  If it's out of 1 of those ports and 6 or 7 days, it could be also be reduced down to a 3 or 4 day cruise since February may or may not be during the trial phase of cruises returning.

I would just wait and make your final payment on 12/7.  There is a substantially better than 50/50 chance that your cruise will be cancelled, you'll be able to get your refund eventually and then you can sit on the sidelines till late 2022 or whenever you feel cruising is back to normal again.

Unfortunately, It's the third cruise of the Mardi Gras out of Port Canaveral for seven days.  If I did pay the remainder and the cruise does in fact go, we'd be out all of that money because we have no intention of cruising right now.  

I'm wondering how they plan on starting up cruising in February if they make you have to have the vaccines before you can board.  They say they are going to start giving them out in December.  First to get them will be doctors and nurses.  Then nursing homes.  Then the elderly.  Then the general public.

If it's the two shot series, what is the waiting period between shots?  It could be months before everyone  that wants the shots can get them.  We are definitely caught between a rock and a hard place right now.

6 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Unfortunately, It's the third cruise of the Mardi Gras out of Port Canaveral for seven days.  If I did pay the remainder and the cruise does in fact go, we'd be out all of that money because we have no intention of cruising right now.  

I'm wondering how they plan on starting up cruising in February if they make you have to have the vaccines before you can board.  They say they are going to start giving them out in December.  First to get them will be doctors and nurses.  Then nursing homes.  Then the elderly.  Then the general public.

If it's the two shot series, what is the waiting period between shots?  It could be months before everyone  that wants the shots can get them.  We are definitely caught between a rock and a hard place right now.

There is no way they will or can require the vaccine by feb.

You will be lucky not to be cancelled as they have months of inspections and work to do. Most think april will be earliest they can get things together.

Btw you will probably have to get tested before your cruise, then tested as you board, double testing. And tested when you disembark.

People on rcl are seeing this when they check in. Same as in europe. .. even if you have vaccine it probably will be required as vaccine isnt 100% they tell me. Have to keep cdc happy.

Edited by firefly333

I don't  think you have anything to worry about regarding the possibility of your MG cruise going as planned.  

The initial reports have the Horizon starting out of Miami and the Breeze starting out of PC doing the initial short trial cruises.  The second phase has been reported to include Galveston.  Maybe the MG as well, but not matter how you slice it, your sailing should be cancelled.   I don't  think that Carnival would utilize their new flagship doing short introductory cruises and even if they did, it certainly would not be done before your cruise is scheduled to go.  Pay the balance, wait for the Carnival cancellation and then either take the 600 OBC or refund.

11 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I don't  think you have anything to worry about regarding the possibility of your MG cruise going as planned.  

The initial reports have the Horizon starting out of Miami and the Breeze starting out of PC doing the initial short trial cruises.  The second phase has been reported to include Galveston.  Maybe the MG as well, but not matter how you slice it, your sailing should be cancelled.   I don't  think that Carnival would utilize their new flagship doing short introductory cruises and even if they did, it certainly would not be done before your cruise is scheduled to go.  Pay the balance, wait for the Carnival cancellation and then either take the 600 OBC or refund.

Or maybe cdc definition of a short cruise is 7 days or less? Yes I've seen Galveston expected to restart as 3rd port. Even on our local news. Some people assume a short cruise is a few days not a week

20201124_132501.jpg

• Thanks 1

Some people assume a short cruise is a few days not a week

Since the high majority of cruises with the mass market lines are 6-8 days, it would be a safe assumption to say long cruises are 10+ days and short cruises are 3-5 days.  The only people that would assume a short cruise is 7 days are those accustomed to 10+ day cruises. 

Either way, I don't  think the OP has anything to worry about

18 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Since the high majority of cruises with the mass market lines are 6-8 days, it would be a safe assumption to say long cruises are 10+ days and short cruises are 3-5 days.  The only people that would assume a short cruise is 7 days are those accustomed to 10+ day cruises. 

Either way, I don't  think the OP has anything to worry about

Read it however you like. Everything I've read on carnival and elsewhere indicates Galveston, with its 7 day vista cruise, will be the 3rd port to resume. See quote above. And carnival has said it. Unless you count dream 6/8 cruises which are apt to be fixed, vista is the only other ship carnival could mean as the 3rd port to be opened. 

Doesnt matter to me, I'm not on carnival until sept and the world is changing. Everyone is a expert and nit picking. Let's let it play out and see.

Remember when the cdc said short cruises it was talking about many cruiselines. Even my TA who is excellent thinks CDC is counting short cruises as those 7 days or less. I'll take his expertise over yours. But let's wait and see.

How could Galveston be the 3rd port carnival opens, if there are no shorter cruises shorter than 6 or 7 days. ... 

Edited by firefly333

How could Galveston be the 3rd port carnival opens, if there are no shorter cruises shorter than 6 or 7 days. ... 

The same way that there are currently  zero 3 and 4 day cruises on the Horizon and Breeze.  Of course it's all speculation,  but 3 or 4 day journeys with 1 stop at HMC or Princess Cays is probably how things will start.  Severely doubt that Carnival is going to go right out of the gate with 7 day cruises.  Don't  care whatsoever about Galveston being third in line since I will never embark from there. 

But, IMHO the OP should not worry since his third week of February seven day cruise on the Mardi Gras will more than likely be cancelled and that is what this thread is all about.

On 11/24/2020 at 5:45 AM, SNJCruisers said:

MSC hasn't matched Carnival Diamond to MSC Black in I don't know how long. Now you get MSC Gold.

16 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The same way that there are currently  zero 3 and 4 day cruises on the Horizon and Breeze.  Of course it's all speculation,  but 3 or 4 day journeys with 1 stop at HMC or Princess Cays is probably how things will start.  Severely doubt that Carnival is going to go right out of the gate with 7 day cruises.  Don't  care whatsoever about Galveston being third in line since I will never embark from there. 

But, IMHO the OP should not worry since his third week of February seven day cruise on the Mardi Gras will more than likely be cancelled and that is what this thread is all about.

Or maybe the mock cruises will be the 3 and 4 day cruises. No one knows until they show a little transparency and let us know.

15 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

MSC hasn't matched Carnival Diamond to MSC Black in I don't know how long. Now you get MSC Gold.

Which is not worth much.  Unless you reach the top tier in both, the perks are meh.  Our Gold match from Platinum a few years ago got us a 5% discount and a baseball cap. 

Celebrity gave me elite status when I was still platinum on rcl. To hawaii.

Idk what I'd get now or if it's a one time match, but I'd consider celebrity over another just because they match rcl loyalty. Too bad carnival doesnt do that.

My dream cruise is Galapagos islands. Few go there.