River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Just now, CPT Trips said:

Ich bin Berliner . . . or . . . Ich bin ein Berliner 🤦🏻‍♂️😉

Oh, yes, him. Perhaps someone should have taught him to say "Ich will einen Berliner" * - and then immediately resign from post as translator.

There should be a meme of that wrong phrase - is there?

:classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

*I want a Berliner (German doughnut)

• Haha 1

My DH was in Berlin two days after as some of his German colleagues insisted he went, he’s so glad he did. Later when things were getting sorted and you could as it were go over to the other side he took a group of customers. After an evening in an East German restaurant as they are getting ready to return one customer realises he’s not got his passport (you didn’t need it to get in but did to get out) he’d just forgotten his (I won’t tell you what nationality he was) they actually smuggled him out in the coach toilet, he sat in there covered with all of their coats.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Canal archive said:

carnival of lights in the West Country

The internet says that is around Wells. Interesting, thanks, will note that down. Have not been to Somerset and the area much. Never been further West than Exeter and crossing the Severn bridge (Wales to Bristol, then London).

notamermaid

What I am wondering is: why jelly? All the ones I have eaten lately had jam in them. Or at least the thick jelly made from fruits. Which I would not call jelly, but it may be officially jelly. Anyway, love the fun. Did you know that there used to be bakery stuff called "Amerikaner"? Have not had one in years.

notamermaid

Must admit that Kevin Bacon the musician had been completely under my radar. Only know a couple of his films.

3 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Just be sure you don’t pick a “cream donut” by mistake (yuck, pudding not cream).

Pudding?! Not for me either. The version of Berliner cut in half and cream put in, i.e. sandwiched, is pleasant.

Found the Amerikaner, a black and white recipe: https://www.thespruceeats.com/amerikaner-cake-like-cookies-frosted-bottom-1446545

My local baker (that has closed down) only made white ones. They are very sweet and filling.

notamermaid

Probably one of the worst things to happen to Britain these last twenty years - the arrival of Americano. I remember the first time it happened to us in a coffee place, it went something like this "I would like a coffee, please. Waitress: " An Americano?" Baffled silence followed, then a back and forth, till the problem was sorted...

You will only ever get me into a Starbucks again if it is the only watering place in the desert. :classic_wink:

notamermaid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

You will only ever get me into a Starbucks again if it is the only watering place in the desert. :classic_wink:

notamermaid

In that one instance you would probably need calories as well as hydration, so a Caramel Macchiato would be an acceptable life-saver...

Caramel Macchiato exists?! I am willing to except this as a life-saving measure, but in non-desparate situations I will remain the woman that stands at the bar/counter feverishly looking for the plain word coffee on the blackboard and paying cash.

notamermaid

19 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Caramel Macchiato exists?! I am willing to except this as a life-saving measure, but in non-desparate situations I will remain the woman that stands at the bar/counter feverishly looking for the plain word coffee on the blackboard and paying cash.

notamermaid

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/product/413/hot

Just don't ask at Starbucks for a 'small,' 'medium,' or 'large.'  They have invented their own language of cup sizes [another reason to avoid the place, IMHO]

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Must admit that Kevin Bacon the musician had been completely under my radar. Only know a couple of his films.

The Bacon Brothers aren’t an arena band, but the have toured smaller venues for almost 30 years.  He's a Philly boy whose father was an urban planner and director of the city’s planning commission. 

15 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Then you have not been a part of "Six degrees of Kevin Bacon conversation". Probably a good thing!