River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

image.jpeg.2156ac9ffaefb1665d86fe54143d6bbf.jpeg

couldn’t find a picture of mine but this was my vehicle for many years. Rhubarb & Custard, 2CV deux chevaux it bounced and it leaned at an amazing angle that’s eventually why my DH decided it was positively dangerous so I got a 4 cab  Toyota pickup another fantastic vehicle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

"absolutely great car, just gets too hot and then you have to stop for a bit to let it cool down"

Overheating in British sports cars is a long-standing tradition. 

I’m reminded of the old joke . . .
Why do Brits drink warm beer?

Lucas refrigerators.  

• Thanks 1

Well the 2CV is French has no radiator just a dirty great big fan to cool it down. Plus don’t knock an excellent beer maybe not ice cold but definitely not warm. Mind you it really does depend on the type of beer. I don’t think I’d like an iced Mackey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Classic Citroens (even the high-end DS) did require dramamine!

French cars were definitely quirky. My FIL had a Renault R10. I borrowed it one time and neither I nor the service station attendant could find the gas filler. Turned out to be in the engine bay. 
IMG_9108.thumb.jpeg.e479deafef2b05b5bba46c405ba4f85f.jpeg

A few years later, I owned a Renault 16 with the spare located in . . . the engine bay. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

image.thumb.jpeg.7fd9f930864785b82572003c7be56f86.jpeg
Brother in law went all American this has proved a real head turner. I love the puddle lights.

DW and I were recently in Germany and Czechia. Mustangs were the the most common American vehicle I spotted. I would not want to fill the tank at 1.80 € per liter as it was in Germany. Only other American vehicles I more than once were Dodge Ram or similar pick-ups.

2 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

French cars were definitely quirky. My FIL had a Renault R10. I borrowed it one time and neither I nor the service station attendant could find the gas filler. Turned out to be in the engine bay.

I rented a Renault dix in France in 1967.  I really enjoyed it – much more solid than the VW Beetle that was outselling it by a mile in the US.  

According to wikipedia, 'In the United States, the Renault 10 was offered as "The Renault for people who swore they would never buy another one," after the Dauphine's disappointing reputation.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_10

• Like 1

Okay yes 2CVs do break down so stranded lady roadside (I had phoned for assistance) gentleman stops to assist and immediately announces that as a woman I had of course run out of water in my radiator! By then being thoroughly fed up I raised the bonnet and asked him where it was?

• Haha 3

We've been around old & classic cars for most of our lives, holidays used to be attending car shows or flea markets when we were restoring ours. However, we are used to seeing the old cars in new settings, so when we walked into Colmar, this made us do a double take - new car, old setting!

DSC03219.JPG

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Different meanings of “booty.”

IMG_9110.thumb.jpeg.c00239a3717d99994aab038f8a90b4a8.jpeg

Not sure which is funnier, the announcement, or the artist's take on what a river cruise ship looks like 🤣Not going to make it under very many bridges 😁

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Not going to make it under very many bridges

That was my thought but I did not want to say it... I think the artist is more of an ocean cruiser. With that ship they may loot Bordeaux but not a Rhine river village far inland. :classic_biggrin:

notamermaid

• Haha 2

On 6/12/2024 at 5:03 PM, RobInMN said:

Not sure which is funnier, the announcement, or the artist's take on what a river cruise ship looks like 🤣Not going to make it under very many bridges 😁

Both things can be true.

I thought Viking had so many ships in order to facilitate ship swaps 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Fußbaaallll! Only 24 hours to go till the start of the European Football Cup. First match will be Germany versus Scotland. If you are interested in the teams competing for the Cup: https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/

notamermaid

I'll pay attention to the group phase but am not yet very excited. I've expended a lot of mental energy recently cheering my favorite teams, happily the winners, in the recent ice hockey championships (Česko), USA NCAA basketball tournament (UCONN), and the Relegation contests for promotion from the 3. Liga to the 2. Bundesliga (Jahn Regensburg). I successfully sent good vibes to the German World Cup team in 2014 by digging out and wearing my old 1992 German National Team jersey just before Mario Götze scored in extra time. I'm sure it was that little bit of extra positive energy that I sent that made the difference. LOL!

• Like 1

The BBC said today that there are lots of Scots in Munich and the footage from the main square showed a few kilts wandering about. And the beer consumption in the city has gone up. :classic_biggrin:

Reporter said the vibe is good. I am willing to believe it as we have no real rivalry with the Scottish. Will see how long this lasts... I think in the city centre the Germans were outnumbered today, definitely out-chanted. Skysport footage: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8KCIRtNVrI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA%3D%3D

Need to work on Saturday, so unfortunately an early night for me tomorrow.

notamermaid

13 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

The BBC said today that there are lots of Scots in Munich and the footage from the main square showed a few kilts wandering about. And the beer consumption in the city has gone up. :classic_biggrin:

Reporter said the vibe is good. I am willing to believe it as we have no real rivalry with the Scottish. Will see how long this lasts... I think in the city centre the Germans were outnumbered today, definitely out-chanted. Skysport footage: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8KCIRtNVrI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA%3D%3D

Need to work on Saturday, so unfortunately an early night for me tomorrow.

notamermaid

By sheer dumb luck our recent three weeks in Europe were pretty timed perfectly.  Right after the late snows of April, and before the floods of May. And we were in Prague just before the madness of the international Ice hockey championships and in Munich in mid May to just beat the UEFA matches. I've also got a Munich related instagram video from a Fußball fan to share as he discusses the weather. If I am ever z'Minga (in Munich) for a match at Allianz Arena I'll see if it is possible to get a taxi ride with this driver, Isaak. He is a huge Bayern München fan and has his own following as the "kulttaxifahrercisse". His Bavarian dialekt is great. And they say the immigrants don't assimilate! https://www.instagram.com/reel/C79CghxCpka/

Posted (edited)

As an American I marvel at the passion of football (soccer) fans worldwide.  Fans of American football cannot hold a candle to soccer fans in terms of passion, creative songs and cheers, etc.

We had a taste of this on our tulip cruise in April.  While in Bruges, there were huge crowds of Mediterranean looking young men all dressed in black filling the squares, eating and drinking and singing.  Our waiter filled us in:  Thessalonika of Greece was in Bruges to play Bruges in a Europa league game, no beer sold in the stadium, so they were "pre-gaming", hours before game time.  They were even draping Thessalonika flags on the bridges over the canals!  Every time a new group arrived, those already there would join the new arrivals in song.

And this was a Thursday, not even a weekend.

Later in the day I looked up the score---Bruges 1, Thessalonika 0.  I guess bluster and youthful testosterone doesn't win soccer matches!

Edited by sharkster77

Don’t remind me I’m now in a football zone on here as well. I now have visions of kilts wondering around minus their occupants instead of kilt wearers wondering around minus their unmentionables! Mind you I feel sorry for the Scots as according to my DH who has in the past as they say ‘been there’ in that Stadium against a German team the wall of sound will be amazing. Although I will watch Iceland they have an absolutely unique way of supporting their team. I will be getting quite a lot of crafting done whilst keeping an little eye on proceedings.

11 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

As an American I marvel at the passion of football (soccer) fans worldwide.  Fans of American football cannot hold a candle to soccer fans in terms of passion, creative songs and cheers, etc.

Sadly, most of the crowds use public transit and walk so they really don’t know how to tailgate.

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Evidently there was a piper in Marienplatz playing at 5.00 this morning, is Germany ready for this!

Yep! And it appears. he had a German “playing” the bagpipe. 

IMG_9114.jpeg.930e035e7f1ec50cc9e0e50726783aab.jpeg

• Like 2