1970’s vs. current cruising

lenquixote66

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We assume you are talking about Neil Sedaka (I have long admired his talent).  A few years ago DW and I saw Sedaka at a one man show in Vegas at the Orleans.  It turned out that he also recorded a Hebrew language version of Oh Carol.  My wife enjoyed his show but admitted that she had never heard "Oh Carol" until that show.   I noticed on line that Carol King actually wrote her own song called "Oh Neil" which I guess is lost in music history.  Would love to hear any of that crowd on any cruise :).

Hank

My Neil Sedaka story.

My next door neighbor had a basketball court in their backyard, and allowed the neighborhood kids to use it. (One of their sons was a varsity basketball player.) One day we were all playing when a red Jaguar XKE convertible pulled into the driveway. We all ogled the car. (We were all a drop young to be thinking that way about girls.)

Mrs. G. came out and said that Neil Sedaka was there, and we could come meet him. He was married to a local girl who was friends with the family. None of us moved; we did not care about Neil Sedaka, only about that amazing car.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

One day we were all playing when a red Jaguar XKE convertible pulled into the driveway. We all ogled the car. (We were all a drop young to be thinking that way about girls.)

An amazing car.

I had to check the XKE, as in UK we never used the XKE moniker, as it was always known as an "E-type" Jag.

8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

An amazing car.

I had to check the XKE, as in UK we never used the XKE moniker, as it was always known as an "E-type" Jag.

Sadly auto makers all tended towards the streamlined “sucked jelly bean” look.  While the “E” was indeed “amazing” it simply followed the downward trend set by the Jag 120 and 150 - having lost the beautiful lines of their 1937 models (which were mimicked by MG’s TC’s, TD’s and TF’s). Now —  those were true motorcars.

7 hours ago, ontheweb said:

My Neil Sedaka story.

My next door neighbor had a basketball court in their backyard, and allowed the neighborhood kids to use it. (One of their sons was a varsity basketball player.) One day we were all playing when a red Jaguar XKE convertible pulled into the driveway. We all ogled the car. (We were all a drop young to be thinking that way about girls.)

Mrs. G. came out and said that Neil Sedaka was there, and we could come meet him. He was married to a local girl who was friends with the family. None of us moved; we did not care about Neil Sedaka, only about that amazing car.

Neil got married in 1962.His wife’s parents owned Esther Manor which I believe was in or near Monticello.

53 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Neil got married in 1962.His wife’s parents owned Esther Manor which I believe was in or near Monticello.

I am familiar with the Esther Manor. It was owned by 2 sisters. The one who is not Neil's Mother in Law had a son who was in my high school graduating class.

Edited by ontheweb

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I am familiar with the Esther Manor. It was owned by 2 sisters. The one who is not Neil's Mother in Law had a son who was in my high school graduating class.

By any chance did you ever know anyone from the Slutsky family who owned the Nevele ? I knew Alan Slutsky.

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

By any chance did you ever know anyone from the Slutsky family who owned the Nevele ? I knew Alan Slutsky.

No, the Nevele is in Ellenville, not even the same county as me.

Maybe you will find this interesting. It has interviews with 4 children of hotel owners in the Catskills about working in the hotels. The three from Monticello, Marvin Rappaport (the Delano), Mark Kutsher (Kutshers), and Sandy Asman (the Esther Manor) were all in my high school graduating class. (the 4th from Fallsburg I do not know.) It is a video from a library presentation.

Tales From The Borscht Belt: The Owner's Experience - YouTube

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

No, the Nevele is in Ellenville, not even the same county as me.

Maybe you will find this interesting. It has interviews with 4 children of hotel owners in the Catskills about working in the hotels. The three from Monticello, Marvin Rappaport (the Delano), Mark Kutsher (Kutshers), and Sandy Asman (the Esther Manor) were all in my high school graduating class. (the 4th from Fallsburg I do not know.) It is a video from a library presentation.

Tales From The Borscht Belt: The Owner's Experience - YouTube

Thanks for posting the above.It brings back wonderful memories.The first hotel that I went to in Monticello was The Six Lake .I was there in 1948.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Thanks for posting the above.It brings back wonderful memories.The first hotel that I went to in Monticello was The Six Lake .I was there in 1948.

Since you liked that one, I am sure you will also like this one about working in the dining rooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0t20rSK048

That's something I somehow never did. I did work as a caddy mostly at the Laurels and a few times at the Concord.

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Since you liked that one, I am sure you will also like this one about working in the dining rooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0t20rSK048

That's something I somehow never did. I did work as a caddy mostly at the Laurels and a few times at the Concord.

In 1962 a friend and I spent two weeks at Klein’s Hillside.My friend was the US Handball champion and he was invited to play an exhibition match at the Laurels.I went with him and we played a game against the US Paddleball champions ,our hands to their paddles and we won 21-4.