Viking Explorers' Sale

ColonyGirl2

Has anyone booked or have any information on this promotion?

We are booked on a British Isles cruise this August and are looking at our cancellation options.  Our TA called Viking yesterday about rescheduling the same cruise for August 2022.  The new price would result in us paying more for a DV6 than our currently booked DV3.  Not happy with those results.

I have a current Viking brochure that lists the same prices I see on line for this cruise,  but it clearly states a double past guest discount and free international air from most major airports, including ours as additional perks.  This is not stated on their web site and they did not offer my TA that information.

Anyone have any information on this?  Or ideas?

Thanks

It could be that there is a Discount Code ( EBD)  that needs to be requested  or that the dates that you are looking at do not qualify for the free air and double discount ( for that, I think you had to have travelled twice with Viking within the past 12 months )  It might be a good idea to give your TA that brochure so that she/he can read off the promo to Viking and  to double check the criteria for the double past guest discount .

There is always the fine print. Your brochure may be for new bookings, and your transfer over to another date may not meet that criteria. Just a guess. 

I do foresee a possible increase in prices as the cruise lines try to recoup some of the lost revenue. Or perhaps price reductions as they try to encourage reluctant travelers. Life is pretty complicated right now!

Do you know where we would find the EBD in the brochure?  

When we originally booked we got $200 pp for a past guest discount. They now are offering $100 because it now has been more than a year since our last travel.  The double discount should make it $200 again. There is no qualifying criteria listed for either the doubled discount or the free airfare.

36 minutes ago, ColonyGirl2 said:

There really is no transfer over.  It is basically a cancel and rebook so I don't think it is that.  The fine print is always a problem.  Especially when it is too fine to be found :classic_smile:

We moved a cruise over to a different cruise in the future with Viking during the pandemic, and yet  they kept the same booking number. I don't know all the ins and outs of how they do this, but I would have thought that changing itineraries would require a cancel and rebook, and yet apparently not. Since you are keeping the same itinerary, I won't even try to explain. Let's hope you can get what you want, and we can all enjoy cruising again some day.

Hi..this is just my humble, unsolicited opinion.

Most of the Viking reservation staff are not as good as they should be.

I have been on many Viking river and ocean cruises.  I have had a multitude of agents.  If I find a good one, they are not there the next call.  My last two was Linda (from da Bronx) and Chasity.  

The Viking agents will never tell you about a "special" that isn't on-line.  That is why their brochures are so important.  This months discount code is "EXP".  Lots of free air and double past guest.

As a result I now have 2 river and 2 ocean cruises booked for this year.

• Like 1

Update.  We were able to get the double past discount!  The airfare was not free as the "fine" print said that was for one sailing only.  We were still able to secure a discounted airfare and I am happy with the results. We will be paying a lower fare than our 2021 price,, though we did drop from a DV3 to a DV6.  Glad that it is settled and looking forward to to our future cruises.  The first one is in November 2021 and I hope that will be a GO!

I am curious. Did they hold your double past credit to what it was when you cancelled or When you booked originally?

When I rebooked , since my March cruise was cancelled, they dropped us back to $100, since our last cruise was Alaska in June 2019. Even though the cruise was booked in Jan of 2018, and paid in full by Dec 2018. Very 😞 disappointed.

We originally booked in July of 2019 while on board Viking Sky.  They gave us the $200 pp past guest at that time.  When we went to reschedule, they dropped it to $100.   We had a current brochure that offers a double past guest discount so they honored that, and went back up to $200 pp.  

I think you have to quote the brochure, as they didn't offer it until we did.  

It is a new January 2021 brochure that we just received.  It also quotes free air fare but that is for very limited sailing dates.