River Cruise Suspensions?

EndlessSea

I am contemplating a 2021 holiday river cruise on Uniworld - November or December.   I have checked their website but it contains no information if they currently have a suspension in cruising due to Covid.  I would be traveling from the United States and have no idea how my travel to Europe would be impacted.  I believe some European locations require negative Covid tests and a 14 day quarantine.  I also know that some European countries have banned travel between their borders.

Ocean cruise lines have suspended cruises through the end of April 2021.  Some have also suspended European and Transatlantic Cruises departing May through October 2021.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by EndlessSea

• EndlessSea changed the title to River Cruise Suspensions?

We are in the same boat 😉 so to speak. Want to book our first river cruise but there is too much uncertainty if they will even sail. We are waiting at least until we have our shots and until the countries we are looking at have less restrictions.

Theo

I am afraid I need to echo the previous posters' comments. Struggling to get Covid-19 under control in Europe will run well into Spring. It will be in any European country's interest to keep as many from "the outside" out as possible. I expect this to run into Summer, for some countries perhaps even into Autumn.

I would not book anything before April, as February and March will make things clearer as regards measures within the US taking hold for the better and vaccination impact both in your country and your destination. When I say book I mean only deposit. Try and get a full payment date as close to your cruise as possible (companies may offer special "no worry" terms - check around). Do not accept anything like 90 days out - not favourable company policy if they insist on it in my opinion.

On a more personal note which is just a feeling: there have been reports here on the board about unfavourable customer service by Uniworld during the pandemic as it unfolded last year and a few have said that overall quality of Uniworld has decreased in the last three years (roughly). I am not sure what to make of it, but I would definitely get a TA who knows about river cruising to book a cruise with them for me.

Hope this helps.

notamermaid

• 2 months later...

We are scheduled for a Paris Normandy cruise leaving in 37 days.  Uniworld has NOT  sent us any communications regarding the current status of our cruise.  We have emailed customer service and my travel agent has called. 
We have been a loyal Uniworld client for over 9 cruises so we have seen the steady decline in the river cruise experience since they hired a new CEO approx 5 yrs ago.  The ships remain beautiful but every other aspect of cruising with Uniworld is deteriorating.

DO NOT  give Uniworld any money except for the absolute minimum deposit if you still decide you want to sail with them.  They have a no refund policy.  They have kept our money for 18 months (we were booked for a  May 2020 cruise that was “Suspended” and  we HAD to rebook for 2021).  We used to love Uniworld but not any more.

• Like 1