USB Power Outlets on Queen Mary 2 Britannia Club Balcony Cabins?

Smokeyham

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how many (if any) USB power outlets there are in a Britannia Club Balcony Cabin?  I believe the Britannia and Britannia Club balcony cabins are the same layout, so my question would probably be appropriate for either class?

Extra points if you can also tell us how many US, UK, and European (if any) regular (non-USB) outlets there are in  that class of cabin.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Hi Smokeyham,

1)  Unfortunately there are no USB outlets on QM2.  The TV screen in each cabin does have a USB socket, but it is a low-powered USB and does not work well for charging devices that require higher power.  The TV is also wall-mounted in most cabins so there isn't a place to rest a USB device while connected.

2)  Britannia QM2 cabins have two UK 220/240v outlets and four US 110/120v outlets.  There are no European outlets.  QV and QE have a European outlet, but not QM2.  None of the ships has Australia/NZ outlets.

Four of the outlets (2 UK and 2 US) are located in a row at the writing desk.  A close up view from the Cunard web site is shown below.  The other pair of US outlets is behind the hot water kettle on the adjacent table where the TV screen used to be.

image.png.3cdabdbe1404a734ae4d343a1d92743c.png

Edited by sfred

1 minute ago, Smokeyham said:

Follow up question - Does anyone know if there is an electrical outlet (UK or US) close to the bed, for plugging in a CPAP?

Thanks.

Unfortunately not.  The only outlets are at the desk and kettle.  Although you could run a cord from the writing desk to the bed across the room.  It isn't that wide a space. 

qm-balcony.jpg.image.640.430.low.jpg

Just now, sfred said:

Unfortunately not.  The only outlets are at the desk and kettle.  Although you could run a cord from the writing desk to the bed across the room.  It isn't that wide a space. 

qm-balcony.jpg.image.640.430.low.jpg

Thanks......  I will just work with that.

4 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Thanks......  I will just work with that.

Plan on about 14 feet to reach from the shelf of the far bedside table in the photo @sfred provided, down along the floor, and then up to the power plug at the desk across the room. That's the total length of power cord I have for my CPAP (4 feet between the machine and the power brick plus another 10 feet from the power brick to the wall outlet in my case). That gives me about one or two feet of slack to work with. That's assuming the CPAP is placed on the far side of the bed in the photo rather than the near side further from the desk.

One more CPAP-related detail. After following the rules and letting Cunard know you will be bringing a CPAP onboard, you will probably be visited by a member of the ship's staff on embarkation day to check your equipment. In my experience, they have only been interested in reading the label on the power brick to make sure it meets electrical requirements.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Plan on about 14 feet to reach from the shelf of the far bedside table in the photo @sfred provided, down along the floor, and then up to the power plug at the desk across the room. That's the total length of power cord I have for my CPAP (4 feet between the machine and the power brick plus another 10 feet from the power brick to the wall outlet in my case). That gives me about one or two feet of slack to work with. That's assuming the CPAP is placed on the far side of the bed in the photo rather than the near side further from the desk.

One more CPAP-related detail. After following the rules and letting Cunard know you will be bringing a CPAP onboard, you will probably be visited by a member of the ship's staff on embarkation day to check your equipment. In my experience, they have only been interested in reading the label on the power brick to make sure it meets electrical requirements.

Thanks so much!  Those specific details are really helpful!  

16 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Thanks so much!  Those specific details are really helpful!  

Sorry, I was off by a foot on my measurements. I actually have a total of 15 feet of power cord on my CPAP (plus an additional 6 inches for the power brick itself).

Edited by bluemarble

• 2 years later...
On 2/18/2021 at 6:06 PM, Smokeyham said:

Follow up question - Does anyone know if there is an electrical outlet (UK or US) close to the bed, for plugging in a CPAP?

I realize this response is several years after the question was posted, but the info might be useful. There is, in fact, a single UK outlet on either side of the bed. Unless you want to go without the bedside lamp you'll need an adapter to plug in 2 or 3 devices into the single outlet. And you need to pull the bed out a few feet to access the outlet, which is easy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frankp01 said:

I realize this response is several years after the question was posted, but the info might be useful. There is, in fact, a single UK outlet on either side of the bed. Unless you want to go without the bedside lamp you'll need an adapter to plug in 2 or 3 devices into the single outlet. And you need to pull the bed out a few feet to access the outlet, which is easy.

That is actually very useful.  We will be doing a crossing on QM2 and this is exactly what I needed to know.

15 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

this is exactly what I needed to know.

Me, too. That's why I made the effort on one trip, just to see what the bedside lamps were plugged into.

Note: the bedside outlets on QV and QE are European, not UK!

• Like 2

Remember, the outlet by the bed is UK: 230 Volts / 50 Hz.  If your intended use is for a CPAP, unless your north American CPAP supports multiple voltages, you would still have to plug it in to the outlet on the desk. I don't use a CPAP machine, but based on a very quick search, it appears that most do support dual voltage. If they us a 'brick', as BlueMarble indicates, if you travel in the UK extensively, rather than use an adapter you can get a replacement cord with a British plug. They come in both 'figure 8' (as illustrated here) as well as 'Clover' fittings. I bought mine at Curry's in Southampton, when I inadvertently brought the wrong cable (I need the figure 8 and I had brought a 'clover').

image.png.85c8bfe76420364adb22bf516020c75a.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Realize this response might be a bit dated, but, hopefully will provide some reassurance. Last May and wife and I did a B2B2B totalling 17 nights in a Britannia Club Cabin (in one of the newer ones) . We both use a CPAP and had no challenges. Our cabin steward was most helpful supplying distilled water. Additional context we are Canadian so N.A. Outlets or suitable converters/adapters may be required, which, we always have when we travel outside NA. Hope you had a great cruise or will have a great time.

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2023 at 12:43 PM, Seaside99 said:

Realize this response might be a bit dated, but, hopefully will provide some reassurance. Last May and wife and I did a B2B2B totalling 17 nights in a Britannia Club Cabin (in one of the newer ones) . We both use a CPAP and had no challenges. Our cabin steward was most helpful supplying distilled water. Additional context we are Canadian so N.A. Outlets or suitable converters/adapters may be required, which, we always have when we travel outside NA. Hope you had a great cruise or will have a great time.

Thanks for that information.  Just confirming this was on QM2?  Also, did you have to run an extension cord from the desk across the cabin?  Someone else mentioned having to do this.

Yes it was on the QM2. Can’t speak of the other Queens as we haven’t tried them yet. On other QM2 cruises in other cabins there was never a problem for our CPAPS. We did not have to use extension cords as our adapters did the trick to plug in close to the bed. Happy Cruising 

• 3 months later...
On 11/2/2023 at 5:26 PM, Seaside99 said:

Yes it was on the QM2. Can’t speak of the other Queens as we haven’t tried them yet. On other QM2 cruises in other cabins there was never a problem for our CPAPS. We did not have to use extension cords as our adapters did the trick to plug in close to the bed. Happy Cruising 

Thanks so much.  I understand that QM2 recently did a refit, so I wonder if they updated/increased the number of plugs in the cabins?  I have started a separate thread to ask that question: 

Edited by Smokeyham

• 2 months later...

Currently on board the QM2.  We brought an adapter to convert the one outlet to two outlets so I could use the plug behind the bed to plug in a CPAP and also the bedside lamp.  I wish I had purchased an adapter that also had a USB outlet so I could also have my phone charging on my bedside table, to use as an alarm clock.

In addition to the two American and Two British outlets visible in post #4's picture we also found two additional American outlets behind the kettle.

image.thumb.jpeg.d84c9f3812624162060a7ceb80c16595.jpeg

• Thanks 3