Electric wheelchair - getting on/off ship in ports

Waynetor

My wife is looking at getting an electric wheelchair - around 250 -330 lb.  She currently uses a manual.  She can't stand and has to be lifted in and out of chair.

We have voyages booked on Princess.

Can anyone provide info on using ramps to get on and off ships in ports?   Thanks

We usually sail with Princess. I first used canes, progressed to a walker/rollator, then a travel-scoot scooter and now use a "fold and go" electric wheelchair. I have found Princess to be quite responsive to my needs. The fold and go is a lightweight chair weighing only about 50 or so pounds so take that into consideration. I am always helped down and then up the gangway at port stops. I no longer use tenders to go ashore as my post-polio has progressed and I find myself much less steady and have a fear of falling. A chair over 50 lbs won't be taken on a tender I don't believe. I like my "fold and go" wheelchair as the arm rests can be placed to the rear which makes using a transfer board very easy. I have been pleased with Princess. Yes, the hallways could be wider but some of the accessible cabins are near the elevator lobbies so you can enter and exit those rooms easily. The accessible cabins themselves are good with bath access very good. The dining rooms have tables which are easily accessible in my wheelchair. The standard chair is taken away so I can scoot right up. There are identified wheelchair spaces in the theater, usually either in the very back or the end of a row. I have been on cruises where there were more wheelchairs than spaces in the theater, especially for popular shows. In the buffet I am always offered assistance in carrying my plate and in finding a table.

Edited by katisdale
spelling errors

Thanks for the detailed reply.  We have over 500 days on Princess so are familiar with life on board.  My wife defiantly can't do tender boats.

Currently my wife gets help going up and down ramps while still sitting in her manual wheelchair.  I'm hoping that the crew would still be able to help if using a heavier electric chair.

15 hours ago, Waynetor said:

Currently my wife gets help going up and down ramps while still sitting in her manual wheelchair.  I'm hoping that the crew would still be able to help if using a heavier electric chair.

Although he does not have an electric wheelchair, my husband uses a mobility scooter and he has always had assistance from the crew when using the ramps.   If there is not a crew member right there to assist, we just wait until one arrives (and they get there quickly) to help.

I have sailed with numerous lines since I started using a wheelchair and only once had an issue when we were docked, that was when there was a massive tide change while we were in port and there was no way I could get back up the ramp when we returned to the ship. They used a forklift with a fully enclosed (four sides) container to lift me to a spot I could wheel onto the ship.

Now tender ports are a different story.