Fully Vaccinated People May Travel, CDC Says

Globehoppers

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I thought the same thing when I read about this.  If cruises will require vaccinations, and he prohibits businesses from asking for proof, then how does he expect cruises to ever sail from the US anytime soon??  Maybe they can skirt the law by virtue of the fact that they are not registered in the US?

I wish that they were registered in the US, that way they wouldn't have to stop at foreign ports, which has been the problem with the Alaska sailings.

I think that it is more likely that Florida will say "Florida business cannot require a vaccine" and the cruises will say "We don't need the vaccine for Florida, we need it for our stop in (place random name of random overseas port here) Cozumel. They are requiring that all passengers be vaccinated."  That might be ending up how it could work. You don't need a vaccine to get on the ship in Miami, but you might need a vaccine to still be on the ship in Cozumel or maybe to get off the ship in Cozumel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I thought the same thing when I read about this.  If cruises will require vaccinations, and he prohibits businesses from asking for proof, then how does he expect cruises to ever sail from the US anytime soon??  Maybe they can skirt the law by virtue of the fact that they are not registered in the US?

I don't think they need to skirt it...federal law supersedes state law and I'm not sure the governor has jurisdiction over cruise ships which are regulated by maritime law.  Same with airlines which are also regulated by the feds. A state governor can't stop an airline from requiring a vaccine, so I don't see how he can regulate a cruise line. Besides, it wouldn't be in Florida's financial interest to take a position that would essentially shut down sailings from Florida. That would be political suicide on his part. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

I wish that they were registered in the US, that way they wouldn't have to stop at foreign ports, which has been the problem with the Alaska sailings.

I think that it is more likely that Florida will say "Florida business cannot require a vaccine" and the cruises will say "We don't need the vaccine for Florida, we need it for our stop in (place random name of random overseas port here) Cozumel. They are requiring that all passengers be vaccinated."  That might be ending up how it could work. You don't need a vaccine to get on the ship in Miami, but you might need a vaccine to still be on the ship in Cozumel or maybe to get off the ship in Cozumel.

Be careful what you wish for🙂.  If the ships were registered in the US most of us would never be able to afford to sail on them. 

• Like 2

So when did the CDC ever not “allow” people to travel?  I just went to Cancun last month!  

I understand that they are just providing guidance, but the wording implies that they had somehow stopped everyone from traveling at some point!