Communications Issues at Azamara

CHTobi

I am sure that this is not a "new" topic on this board. But I simply have to bring it up yet again. I learned from the "rumor mill" on social media earlier today that our Black Sea cruise (lifted and shifted from 2020), which was supposed to embark in Athens on 20 July 2021 has been canceled. My online research then revealed that all future Azamara sailings have been suspended through October (except for Greece Intensive Voyages at the end of August 2021). The extension of the suspension does not come as a big surprise considering the developments on the COVID-19 front in Europe and the world over. What I find troubling is that loyal passengers (like myself and many others) do not get at least an e-mail "head's up" before this is made public. And furthermore I am surprised that the general announcement of this extension of suspension is not communicated with me personally and directly. This is clearly not a matter of absolute urgency or life and death but a matter of common courtesy. Considering that decisions have to be made (lift and shift? FCC? refund?) following a cancellation, a timely communication of any cancellation is important and would represent good business practices. Azamara communications with loyal customers have been a big problem in the past and it seems that this continues to be an issue. Something that seems unnecessary and shouldn't be too hard to fix. I do not remember how many times I have reminded Azamara (be it sales and or the loyalty team) to include me in their regular communications and somehow this seems to break down consistently.

No photo description available.

I think that Azamara are doomed if they do and doomed if they don't. In these unprecedented times, is there a right way to communicate to those that are booked or loyal vs everyone else?  I don't think there is.

You said it. The cancellation came as no surprise. I'd have been amazed if this sailing went ahead. I have no idea what the future will bring, but I feel that Azamara cruises will have disruption of some sort or another until the end of the year at least.

What you decide to do as far as FCC, Lift and Shift, refund is down to you personally. As far as I'm concerned, cancel and get the money in my pocket is what I'd be doing. Too many unknowns. Limit the risk. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I think this is a no win situation  because:

1. the cruises lines give the TAs a heads up before a announcement so as not to blindside them.  However often TAs who want to “be the first to break the news” post it on social media before the time the cruise line announcement was scheduled.  

2.  If you book with a TA all communication is to come from them to you in conjunction with ( not before) the cruise lines announcement.  So Azamara expects your TA to notify you, if they don’t do that in a timely manner the problem is the TA not the cruise line.

• Like 5

The cruise line sells the product. So the buck stops with them - even if the booking is handed off to a TA. The comment: "In these unprecedented times, is there a right way to communicate to those that are booked or loyal vs everyone else?  I don't think there is..." would be perfectly fine IF it were only during these unprecedented times that there are communications issues - but in my case the issue has been persistent and unpredictably so (some times I get e-mails and sometimes I don't - no real rhyme or rhythm to it). If you follow the postings on the Azamara related groups on Facebook you will see that I am not alone with these problems. And I am by no means suggesting that only very loyal customers should get preferential treatment - everybody should get the same (perfect - or at least near perfect...) treatment in my opinion. I merely emphasized the "loyal customer" because Azamara seems to have an extremely extensive loyal customer base - a customer base that has certain expectations.

We had three B2B2B cruises on Journey booked for August/September.

Today we received emails to both of us (my husband and myself) for all three cruises, advising of the cancellations and explaining our options.

We booked through a travel agent, but having been in contact with her today I find that she has not yet been notified of the cancellation of our cruises. 

I'll just go back to the original point talking about loyal guests being given a heads up before going public. Can you imagine how that would get disseminated?  Someone would find out before someone else, even then. Those sitting next to their email inbox would find out before someone who wasn't. It's not practical. 

Of course the subject of receipt of communications generally is another matter. I've long had an issue, but gave up taking it personally a long time ago.  Now thankfully it seems to be resolved. 

I was going to add that I found out the official announcement of the restart latest not by looking at my email, but coming to Cruise Critic as someone had checked their emails before me and copy and pasted it here. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

My main point was/is and continues to be the unnecessary inconsistency of communications over years (independent of my loyalty to the brand) which simply comes across as quite unprofessional and somewhat 20th Century. Judging by Azamara’s rather speedy, efficient and effective handling of my complaint, I believe I actually may have been moved into the 21st Century yesterday. So all is well on planet earth - and peace and harmony reign supreme again!

A Cruise Critic poster on the Oceania board has just advised us that our September LA cruise has been cancelled.  Nothing yet from “O” or the TA but I’m chilled as totally expected.

Azamara, along with the other lines must be given some slack in these unprecedented times.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CHTobi said:

My main point was/is and continues to be the unnecessary inconsistency of communications over years (independent of my loyalty to the brand) which simply comes across as quite unprofessional and somewhat 20th Century. Judging by Azamara’s rather speedy, efficient and effective handling of my complaint, I believe I actually may have been moved into the 21st Century yesterday. So all is well on planet earth - and peace and harmony reign supreme again!

I misunderstood your original post. I thought the main concern you had was that as a loyal guest you didn't have a heads up about the start up plans before being made public?  That's why I replied to you as I did. 

As for not getting other communications from Azamara, sadly that one is as old as the hills and to manage your expectations, I was off the list, then on again, back off and am now on. Took a lot of effort by what was LCV. I have no understanding of why other than I seemed to have more than one profile at Azamara. 

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1