Viking River cruises Great Lakes

Izena

We booked BtoB, Thunder Bay to Milwaukee, Milwaukee to Toronto for Sept 2022.

The first Great Lakes cruses begin in Summer 2022.

Viking Mississippi River Cruises begin in 2023.

If you are thinking about booking one Now is the time to book, the cruises are filling quickly.

Have you cruises with Viking before?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Izena said:

Never done Viking.  Have done American Cruise Line.   isnt November rather cold for the Great Lakes?

Since we come from the West Coast, most definitely November would be way too cold for us.

However, Octanis is due to depart Toronto, outbound for sea on October 1st. She arrives NYC on Oct 13th, so will be well South by November. I have been in Ottawa on business in October and it was comfortable, so we would be OK sailing from Toronto October 1st.

The Great Lakes, when stormy, can be rougher than the oceans due to the shallowness of the Lakes. I was stationed (many) years ago on Lake Michigan at a CG lifeboat station. We would dip the 15 foot antennas during a storm on our 44 footer when it rolled side to side.

Edited by Heartgrove

Izana You will find the Viking River or Great Lakes cruises very different from ACL. The food has been very good on all the cruises. You will find a small refrig in a Viking Cabin. In many cabins the refrig will be filled with a variety of soft drinks and water. In the Penthouse verandas and high there will also be beer and/or wine. The refrig will be restocked daily. The bath will have a nice size shower, lots of storage and Heated floor and fully bathrobe and slippers.

Wine and beer will be served at lunch and dinner.

Most Viking cruisers are very loyal to Viking. We had completed 4 river and 2 1/2 ocean cruises.

the 1/2 was New Zealand/Australia that was ended early because of Covid. We have 2 river, an ocean and Great Lakes booked. One of the River is America's Heartland for June 2023.

We are taking our first ACL in June 2021 in Alaska.

MS. Thanks for the input.   I think you will enjoy ACL.  It is more basic than the Viking you describe.   The food is good.   They have a free open bar in the evenings — beer, wine, hard liquor . (I don’t drink but my travel friends do.).  No fridge in room but lounges are set up with pre packaged snacks , soda , coffee tea.  I live alone and like peace and quiet.  The balconies are great— nice to seat outside and watch the scenery slide by.  

We also booked the Great Lakes for May 2022. We do the Thunder Bay to Milwaukee 28 May - 04 June 2022 and then Milwaukee to Ontario 04 -11 Jun 2022.

We’d originally planned the first cruise to end in Milwaukee and take part in a major Craft Fair that week, but it was cancelled and we decided, what the heck, lets see all of the Great Lakes…..its just money!

So off we go. we’ve been on Viking River cruises in Europe and loved the Viking set up, and this will be very unique on these ships built for Arctic/Antarctic cruising, but also ‘thin’ enough to fit through the Great Lakes Locks. 

I started a Roll Call for both itinéraires but not much activity because there are so few making these cruises. If you’re on any of these itineraries/dates, come join us.

By the way, these are’t considered ‘River cruises’, they are Expeditions. Viking now has 3 ‘Cruise Types’: River / Ocean / Expedition. Expedition does the Arctic / Antarctic / Great Lakes itineraries with these very specialized ocean-going ships. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

Den

Your trip sounds awesome.  The only issue with Viking that I’ve seen is that there are no single cabins available.  I don’t mind paying double for the large cruise line to get a private cabin -|- but  river cruises / expeditions would be too  pricey for me.

I will am considering the  Great Lakes  for 2023.  I am limited on travel time  because  dog sitter availability is restricted.  

can’t wait to hear what you think of the cruises.