Second Cancel from Gate 1

elklemi

Just got notice Gate 1 has cancelled our Danube River cruise in August once again, we had rebooked from last year when they shut down all travel.  Never thought it would happen again but sounds like things in Europe are still having issues.  Disappointed but maybe a blessing in disguise as was wondering if many places would be open when we went and what restrictions would be in place.  I have never been to Europe and still want to go but will have to wait and see what happens before trying to rebook.  I wish the best to all you who still have trips going forward. this was going to be total 17 days with 7 day cruise and rest regular tour through 6 countries.

• Like 1

Hello fellow Tennessean.  That's very disappointing news.  I was hoping that with the development and distribution of effective vaccines, things would open up travel wise, but just the opposite seems to be happening.  My travel plans are being pushed out further and further into the future.  

The worst thing to happen would be for you to get over there and things would not be open.

I actually think it is a blessing. Rebook for next year and hopefully that will end up being the trip you have always wanted!

I agree that it is better this way. Disappointing for sure, but it would not be a great first time trip to Europe, no way. 17 days of relative uncertainty of what one can actually see.

4 hours ago, elklemi said:

I have never been to Europe and still want to go but will have to wait and see what happens before trying to rebook.

Do wait a bit and I am sure for whatever time you rebook next year, it will be a most splendid experience.

notamermaid

We have a September Danube cruise booked and I'm thinking it will be less and less likely it's happening.

I've posted this on other threads, but we just got back from Morocco.  It was a beautiful country, but 80% of shops and restaurants were closed, there was an 8:00pm curfew (so no people watching at cafes at night), and our Air France flight was changed so frequently and ultimately to such a bad itinerary thru Paris on the way home, that we canceled it mid trip and booked a different airline home with a direct flight to JFK.  That turned out to be a good decision as 2 days later, all flights into France were canceled anyways.

That's a lot of explanation to say that international travel is still not what it could be, and even if you get in country, there's still a lot of uncertainty.  Sigh.  One day we'll get back to normal.

I appreciate all who have replied with their thoughts and experiences as above, you all have given me more insight and since this will be my first trip to Europe I do want to be able to experience fully all that I want to see and do.  Surely this can't go on forever and will make my trip when I go all the better when I can experience with no restrictions e.g., masks, etc.  Hope you all are able to fulfil all your travel plans safely.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Yes, we've just had our second river cruise cancelled by Gate1 for the end of September 2021.  We were going to spend 2 weeks independently in Croatia, but will have to cancel that also until next year.  

Problem is those of you looking to take a river cruise in 2022 - I've spent hours looking and finding alot of these cruises are already booked. 

Problem, is, we are not getting any younger as time goes by.....   :  (((

Liketotravel, did you have any idea there was a problem with your cruise or did the cancellation come out of the blue? What was the reason given? Which cruise? I have one scheduled with Gate 1 in December.