Large ships and terminals sure lack seats to stop and rest

atexsix

A couple cruises ago on the Eurodam, our favorite ship, they had benches along the walls of the elevator lobbies so we could stop and rest during the long hike to the dining room.  The following year on the same ship they were gone!  We couldn't fathom why Holland America, a line that markets heavily to the older crowd would take away all the seats, but it's neither here nor there because Covid related protocols would have taken them away for good anyway.  Outside the MDR, they have one little lonely bench, no other seats, and there can often be a wait during open dining at lunch and breakfast.  In fact, unless you are near a bar or lounge, there really isn't anywhere to "rest" for people with walking issues.  Cruise terminals are another place lacking seating, at least until you get to the waiting area.  Vancouver Place was absolute torture, and Seattle's Smith Cove is not much better.  Why nowhere to sit?  Airports have it everywhere!  I just don't get it.

We're probably going to schlep a walker with a seat or a small foldable stool from now on, I don't know what else to do unless somebody has another idea.  And if you are wondering, we've checked with guest services many times about getting wheelchair help and were told shore services should have plenty only to find nothing whatsoever after getting off the ship.  I guess the pampering starts/ends at the gangway. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, atexsix said:

A couple cruises ago on the Eurodam, our favorite ship, they had benches along the walls of the elevator lobbies so we could stop and rest during the long hike to the dining room.  The following year on the same ship they were gone!  We couldn't fathom why Holland America, a line that markets heavily to the older crowd would take away all the seats, but it's neither here nor there because Covid related protocols would have taken them away for good anyway.  Outside the MDR, they have one little lonely bench, no other seats, and there can often be a wait during open dining at lunch and breakfast.  In fact, unless you are near a bar or lounge, there really isn't anywhere to "rest" for people with walking issues.  Cruise terminals are another place lacking seating, at least until you get to the waiting area.  Vancouver Place was absolute torture, and Seattle's Smith Cove is not much better.  Why nowhere to sit?  Airports have it everywhere!  I just don't get it.

We're probably going to schlep a walker with a seat or a small foldable stool from now on, I don't know what else to do unless somebody has another idea.  And if you are wondering, we've checked with guest services many times about getting wheelchair help and were told shore services should have plenty only to find nothing whatsoever after getting off the ship.  I guess the pampering starts/ends at the gangway. 

Well stated.  But unfortunately, as you noted, no one cares.  HC is a minority that only gets occasional tokenism.  There's no money in our demographic.  I've asked questions  to corp. presidents in public forums and only get evasive 'political' answers that do not address the problems.  Instead they spend mega-bucks supporting and promoting their efforts to save whatever endangered species in an unheard of place.  That's more important than  people with real, present problems that need to be addressed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Well stated.  But unfortunately, as you noted, no one cares.  HC is a minority that only gets occasional tokenism.  There's no money in our demographic.  I've asked questions  to corp. presidents in public forums and only get evasive 'political' answers that do not address the problems.  Instead they spend mega-bucks supporting and promoting their efforts to save whatever endangered species in an unheard of place.  That's more important than  people with real, present problems that need to be addressed.

I know what you mean, I tune out every time the news starts singin the praises of the corporation du jour.

I leaning more and more to the walker option for now.

Yes Vancouver is a bad one.  I think the walker with the seat is a great way to go if one just needs a little rest on the way.  On a positive note, I had a bad accident 2 days before a vancouver sailing, leg banged up real bad.  We were sailing with Celebrity, and when I hobbled out of the cab, a Celebrity ship staff approached me right away with a wheel chair.  Decided to take the ride.  Really paid off at the last stop before boarding because we were held there over half an hour while they dealt with a medical emergency on board.  Must of been 8 of us in chairs waiting and sure glad I had a place to sit, leg was throbbing.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased an upright walker on Amazon.  It cost a little over what it would to rent a walker for a weeks cruise.  Since I plan on doing more cruises, that's a cost savings over time.  Make sure that you pay attention to how the rollator/walker folds up.  I rented one on my last cruise and it was a nightmare to get it in and out of the cabin because once it was folded it wouldn't roll.  The hinges were on either side.  The one that I purchased has the hinge under the seat, which allows me to easily maneuver it while it is still folded.