Immigration? and National Express?

1) Flying from Canada to Dublin.

Immigration will be in Dublin.

Dublin to LHR

Will we have to go through Immigration in LHR?

2). I had been advised on Cruise Critic to purchase National Express tickets 90 minutes after an international flight arrival.

Would it still be 90 minutes after a Dublin flight?

1 hour ago, phabric said:

1) Flying from Canada to Dublin.

Immigration will be in Dublin.

Dublin to LHR

Will we have to go through Immigration in LHR?

2). I had been advised on Cruise Critic to purchase National Express tickets 90 minutes after an international flight arrival.

Would it still be 90 minutes after a Dublin flight?

Dublin is not in the UK. It is in the Republic of Ireland, which is part of the EU.

Because of Brexit I'm not entirely sure of the answer, and when you are going might be an issue.

However, in a fully post-Brexit world this is what I think happens:

Are you making a stopover in Dublin? If so, you go through immigration in Dublin and again in London. Dublin to London would not be a domestic flight.

If you are only connecting in Dublin, you would check your bags through to London, and would only have to go through immigration in London.

So I think in a fully post-Brexit world you would need the 90 minutes either way.

When are the flights planned?  

as mentioned above Brexit has changed the situation and the fact that non essential travel from Ireland is currently not permitted has meant that not too many travelers have experienced the new Ireland UK travel bubble.

Firstly, when she arrives in Dublin she will go through Immigration and Customs, then has her 7 days in Ireland.

The second phase is the difficult one to give information on just at the moment.  Technically she will be travelling from EU to a Third country  and not entering the Schengen area, but there is a 'Common Travel Area' (CTA) between Ireland and UK.  Until Brexit  Republic of Ireland Passengers (not passengers not citizens!) arriving from Ireland did not have to go through Immigration at LHR.  I don't believe that this will change whenever travel recommences.  

If she will have checked baggage the I would be allowing an absolute minimum of at least 1 hour before booking a National Express coach.

What airline is the DUB-LHR flight?  Aer Lingus arrives to T2 and then she will need to transfer to T5/National Express.

All this may and probably will change between now and flight time!

Edited by VMax1700

Thanks for all information. I am thinking ahead for May 2022.

Princess releases EzAir flights in July 2021 for our cruise in May 2022.

I have read we will need to apply for www.Etais.com in 2022 as we will visiting Norway ports and Scandinavia ports.

T2 has a walkway (about a 10 minute walk?) from the airport to National Express terminal as I have flown Air Canada to T2 and used the walkway.

Edited by phabric

On 5/30/2021 at 2:27 PM, phabric said:

T2 has a walkway (about a 10 minute walk?) from the airport to National Express terminal as I have flown Air Canada to T2 and used the walkway.

I'm trying to sort things out for a cruise that we have booked as well so I'm assuming that if you are coming from Canada, you will probably fly into T2. I was also wondering what the flights home are normally like after you disembark the ship. Do you usually plan to stay over night and then fly out the next morning? Or do they do late flights back to Canada. I'm just a little anxious because we are disembarking in the middle of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations in June of 2022, so I figure I'd better book the hotel now if we're going to need one. But now, I'll pick one with easy access to T2 thanks to your post.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kmerlin14 said:

I'm trying to sort things out for a cruise that we have booked as well so I'm assuming that if you are coming from Canada, you will probably fly into T2. I was also wondering what the flights home are normally like after you disembark the ship. Do you usually plan to stay over night and then fly out the next morning? Or do they do late flights back to Canada. I'm just a little anxious because we are disembarking in the middle of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations in June of 2022, so I figure I'd better book the hotel now if we're going to need one. But now, I'll pick one with easy access to T2 thanks to your post.

Air Canada is T2. British Airways is T5 I think. 

I book my flights with Princess EzAir.  My EzAir is available July 16. Ask your agent or call Princess for when your EzAir will be available for your cruise.

You are from New Brunswick, I don’t know what flight times or stops would be.  What I do, I go on Air Canada site to see what flight time will roughly be.  I have found EzAir offer  most of the same times.  You don’t have to take the same airline on the return.  I usually take a mid afternoon return flight.

I plan on booking, Toronto (YYZ) - Heathrow (LHR) on Air Canada daytime (roughly 8:30am-9pm) arriving at T2.. Air Canada has the only daytime flight, no jet lag the next day.  Most flights leave at night and arrive in the morning.   Since arriving late at night, I have booked Hilton Garden London Terminal 2 & 3 (attached to T2) for the night.  Join Hilton free membership and can save a few £.

The next day, walk back through the airport and take the National Express Coach, 

www.nationalexpress.com, have a terminal attached to T2, I think also at T5.    Signs are well marked to National Express Coach terminal once you leave baggage area.  It is a walk, up and down escalators with no benchs to rest, all indoors.

On the return, I plan on taking cheapest either Air Canada (T2) or British Airlines (T5).  Plan on taking afternoon flight.  Last time, I went going Air Canada, return BA.

There is a tram between T2 and T5.

Southampton is 2- 2 1/2 hours from LHR.

On my return, I plan on using www.internationalfriends.co.uk from Southampton dock to Hilton Garden London Terminal 2 & 3 for the night and flight home the next day.

International Friends is a Coach service that goes only embarkment and disembarkment days to/from Southampton/Dover. Embarkment days to Southampton with a stop at Stonehenge. Disembarkment days with stops at Salisbury, Stonehenge and Windsor (purchase Stonehenge/Windsor tickets through them).  They pick up or drop off at certain London hotels, LHR hotels, LHR.  Cheaper to purchase tickets through www.londontoolkit.com, can purchase in US$ or £.

If afternoon flight, can use Princess transfer (picked up at dock)  or National Express Coach (short taxi ride under £10 to National Coach station), pre book your tickets.

If staying in Southampton, I have stayed at Premier Inn West Quay (3x and again booked for May 2022) and Holiday Inn Herbert Walker (1x).  A short taxi from National Express station to hotel and a short taxi to the port.

Information - Normally, once you go through security at the airport, you go to your gate to wait for your flight.  At LHR, a VERY busy airport, once through security, take a seat near a flight information board.  They do not post gate number until close to flight time (maybe less than 1 hour?) so keep a very close eye on the board.  My past flights I have to take a tram over to the gate.

- National Express Coach Stations - both LHR and Southampton, you have to pay to use the bathrooms.

- EzAir - you can book yourself or agent, book Flexible, you can modify and cancel up to 45 days of your cruise, no payment until final payment.  I check my flight prices daily and modify if cheaper.  Under travel on your Personalizer, your flights will show, at the bottom of the page, use GREEN section to modify.

Thanks for all the great information. I do have a membership for Hilton so I was actually looking at their hotels and thinking of the Premiere Inn near the train station in Southampton if we decide to go straight there before our cruise. That will let us easily hop on the train to do some day trips (like Bath). We may fly out of Halifax if we can since things always go wrong when my husband and I try to fly through Toronto together. (I'm fine if I go on my own, but, if I bring him along, it seems to trigger all sorts of cascading issues.) But there isn't much flying out of Maritime airports at the moment.

The Premier Inn West Quay in Southampton is not next door to the train station, a long walk or a short taxi.

Ibis and Novotel hotels are the hotels very near the train station.

18 hours ago, phabric said:

The Premier Inn West Quay in Southampton is not next door to the train station, a long walk or a short taxi.

Ibis and Novotel hotels are the hotels very near the train station.

Thanks phabric. It was the Cumberland Premier Inn I was thinking of not the West Quay. And it looks like there will be late flights out of Heathrow, so I think I'll skip trying to find a disembarkation hotel in the middle of the Jubilee celebrations and just head straight home. 

On 6/2/2021 at 6:12 PM, kmerlin14 said:

When we fly home after a European cruise we usually fly the day after.  It gives us a chance to repack & relax as most Canadian flights are early and there is no worry missing the flight.

On 6/5/2021 at 2:16 PM, bunnyette said:

When we fly home after a European cruise we usually fly the day after.  It gives us a chance to repack & relax as most Canadian flights are early and there is no worry missing the flight.

That was plan A, but I'm worried about the Jubilee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmerlin14 said:

That was plan A, but I'm worried about the Jubilee.

A quick look on Google Flights at a date in April 2022 (dates are only up to May 3) shows that their are afternoon Air Canada flights at 2:05 pm (arr YYZ 4:45 pm) and 6:00 pm (arrive YYZ 8:55 pm) and a British Airways flight at 5:05 pm (arrive YYZ 7:55 pm). Your problem would probably be making a connection in Toronto to get back to NB, but at worst, you spend a night in Toronto at an airport hotel.

On 6/5/2021 at 1:16 PM, bunnyette said:

As you can see above, at least if you are flying to Toronto there are a number of later flights.

Here is a link to my google flights search

https://www.google.com/travel/flights/search?tfs=CBwQAhoqagwIAxIIL20vMDRqcGwSCjIwMjItMDQtMjJyDAgDEggvbS8waDdoNigAGipqDAgDEggvbS8waDdoNhIKMjAyMi0wNC0yMnIMCAMSCC9tLzA0anBsKABwAYIBCwj___________8BQAFIAZgBAQ

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2021 at 4:42 PM, gnome12 said:

in a fully post-Brexit world you would need the 90 minutes either way.

Travel between the UK  and Ireland is basically unaffected by Brexit, as Ireland is part of the "Common Travel Area", which also govern movement between, say, the Isle of Man and the UK. This dates back to Ireland's independence in 1921. So, it should still be, effectively, a domestic flight. I would still take the 90 minutes to allow for any delays.