Windstar Wifi

adomatic

We are not getting an All In plan for our cruise but i'm debating adding a Wifi plan to be able to check email. In the past, we used free wifi in the ports but since we won't be able to get off the ship without an excursion, I'm wondering if i should add the basic Email wifi plan. We have 4 excursions booked but I don't know what to expect in terms of free time and free wifi. Has anyone gotten the basic Wifi package and is it enough to check emails?

Depending on your cell phone carrier, it might be cheaper to use an international data plan when on the ship in port. AT&T has a day pass plan with unlimited data for $10/day. T-mobile includes international data on most plans. I've usually had good data doing this. The one time I didn't was AT&T in some of the smaller Alaska ports (not international). 

I haven't tried the Windstar limited data plans. The only time I've used their WiFi was Feb 2020 on a cruise with several sea days where I got the unlimited plan & was happy with it.

We have two iPads. I was thinking of getting the surfing plan for $120.  According to Windstar, we can use the plan one iPad at a time. Only one can be connected at a time. We will have data in port with our T-Mobile phones if we are close enough to get a signal. This way we can also surf and check email on the phones That is if we have any ports of call. On the July 17, so we should get to a few ports . 

On 6/30/2021 at 11:45 AM, new_cruiser said:

The only time I've used their WiFi was Feb 2020 on a cruise with several sea days where I got the unlimited plan & was happy with it.

We were on that cruise and were surprised at how good the wifi was (there weren't many on board, though, so not as many vying for the limited bandwidth.) We even managed a short video skype call with the grandkids with acceptable throughput. 

For checking email it will be more than acceptable. 

22 hours ago, CanadianKate said:

We were on that cruise and were surprised at how good the wifi was (there weren't many on board, though, so not as many vying for the limited bandwidth.) We even managed a short video skype call with the grandkids with acceptable throughput. 

For checking email it will be more than acceptable. 

I don't think you were in the same cruise as us since you mentioned on another thread that your first Windstar cruise was on Star Legend around that time. Our cruise was on Wind Surf. We had booked a Star Collector for January a year or so in advance. In December, the Star Collector after ours was on a last minute price too good to pass up and we booked a guarantee cabin. The cruise wasn't fully booked but was pretty full.

Because we had booked it shortly before leaving, I was still working on arranging tours for some of the ports of the second Star Collector. That was part of the reason for getting WiFi for the first segment. (A Star Collector is two or more consecutive cruises that Windstar sells as one fare. Unlimited WiFi has to be bought for a full cruise but I was pleased to find that I could get it for just first cruise in the Star Collector rather than the whole 17 days.)

We use our Verizon worldwide plan for $10 a day per phone. They slow down the data after xxx usage per day which I hate.  Sometimes we buy a wifi package but under the new excursion rules I think I would just buy the unlimited and not spend your time worrying about usage.  Wifi is usually good in public areas but sometimes not so great in cabins, dependant on ship positioning. And we've had both devices on at once several times without getting bumped off. Just depends! Enjoy

I noticed that Verizon now has a $20 International plan for cruises!

Verizon offers a new $20 International Monthly Plan for travelers interested in using data on select cruise ships and airplanes. Should service be available aboard, customers will receive a SMS offer for a 50 MB allowance. After that, you’ll just need to respond “yes” to get started. Please note that this a non-recurring plan.

Windstar is one of the select cruise lines...hopefully this works! Seems like a great option.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, adomatic said:

I noticed that Verizon now has a $20 International plan for cruises!

Verizon offers a new $20 International Monthly Plan for travelers interested in using data on select cruise ships and airplanes. Should service be available aboard, customers will receive a SMS offer for a 50 MB allowance. After that, you’ll just need to respond “yes” to get started. Please note that this a non-recurring plan.

Windstar is one of the select cruise lines...hopefully this works! Seems like a great option.

They had something similar before and it didn't work. Wound up just getting WS wifi and using the $10 a day roaming. 

On 7/2/2021 at 1:43 PM, new_cruiser said:

I don't think you were in the same cruise as us since you mentioned on another thread that your first Windstar cruise was on Star Legend around that time. Our cruise was on Wind Surf.

You are correct. I had a brain blip and forgot about the other ships! 

• Like 1