Those scary braids

My daughter looks beautiful in braids. She has someone braid her hair in Jamaica every year we go and we negotiate a price before-hand. She also brings her own brush, beads and rubber bands and leaves what's leftover to the braid lady. You can negotiate a better price if you bring your own beads and they appreciate it. When at home, she does her own and her friends' sometimes. I'm so shocked that she can do this, but she thinks it's no big deal. She usually does half head on herself and it looks great. So if you're lucky enough to be on our cruise, maybe she'll braid your daughters' hair. Her prices are very reasonable. icon_smile.gif

Here is my story on braids: I was not on a cruise when I had them done, but was staying 7 days in the bahamas. The reason I did it was because I do ALOT of swimming & snorkeling. I have long hair and it makes it much more manageable for me. Believe it or not, but the braids are becoming on me. I did not have any formal nights anywhere so it went with my casual/sporty attire.

PS I used my own comb and bargained the price. I have alot of hair and it took nearly two hours. You have to use alot of conditioner on the braids prior to unbraiding them. Its not something I would do all the time..but it certainly helps me when I go on a strict swimming type vacation.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MY VERY FIRST CRUISE EVER!!

On The Legend! E. Carribean

I cant Wait!

Marge

Starz723

On a recent cruise, we negotiated a price of $30 for "headbands" for two girls - just short braids that went a few inches off their heads and then stopped with a bead, making a kind of headband, but keeping their hair long in back. This way, it's less expensive, and takes less of your valuable beach time! (The braiding time can be considerable if you do a whole head.)

I gave the lady $40 (w/$10 as a tip as she was very nice) and she said "God bless you" and then dug in her bag and gave each girl a beautiful hand beaded ankle bracelet! If I had more money, I would have given her more - but maybe that would have taken some of the joy out of her spontaneous gift.

That night, the girls posed in front of a beach backdrop (on board) with tropical outfits on, and their headbands - absolutely adorable. A priceless photo.

While we were in MOBay in February, we went on one of the party boats booked through the ship. After we snorkled, one of the Jamacian girls on the ship started braiding hair. Many of the ladies with us got one braid in their hair (I chose not to)... the same comb was used for everyone on the excursion, including those men who chose to have their chest hair braided w/ beads. They made cute pictues but I'm a bit squeamish about sharing combs...

Just FYI

Kim

Carnival CONQUEST 2/04

Check us out online at http://www.elvisillusions.com

I hope your kidding about the men's chest hair! Is chest hair braidable? If so, those braiders must be talented. I really hope to never see braided armpit hairs. icon_eek.gif

I think the partial braiding is cute - the headband type - even I would consider doing that. It wouldn't last though, I freak out if I can't wash my hair everyday. It's true - some people look cute with the braids, some are professional looking. It's just funny because some people look so goofy with them and don't realize it. But hey it's vacation, as long as your having fun who cares?? Just as long as nobody kidnaps me and makes me get cornrow braids. I am one of those that would look completely ridiculous with those!

Carnival GLory 11/06/04

Carnival Legend 2/03 ( had to cancel at last minute)

Carnival Pride 4/27/02

Sitmar Fairsea 4/ 1983 ( I was just a little kid!!)

In Charge -

Hi neighbor. We just moved out here in December from New Mexico. We looked in Dumfries/Montclaire for houses, but there wasn't too much on the market. We found a great house we really like in Woodbridge. Dumfries is a really nice area - of course everything beats New Mexico! ( I'm not from there, I had to work there for 5 years) i'm a California girl originally.

Carnival GLory 11/06/04

Carnival Legend 2/03 ( had to cancel at last minute)

Carnival Pride 4/27/02

Sitmar Fairsea 4/ 1983 ( I was just a little kid!!)

We were on the Inspiration in February, and they actually had someone on the ship braiding hair out by the pool, so if your interested in the braids and want a safe place to have that done, ask around on the ship to see if it is going to be offered.

Welcome to the area. BTW. I like the fact that we are lose enough to Washington,DC without living in the city. I'm a suburbs woman myself. icon_smile.gif

Blessings 2 U

Miracle Sept 5,2004 7 day

Destiny June 13,2004 7 day

Disney Magic Sept 6,2003 7 day

Spirit Nov.2002 Panama 8 day

Paradise Oct 2002 10 day

Paradise Feb.2000 7 day

Ah...As for the hair braiding issue...as one of African American descent, I love getting my hair braided from time to time. Although I do it mainly for it's convenience and just for a change now and then, I wear my braids with pride! It's more of a cultural look for me. I don't do the trendy styles (zig zag parts, braids piled high on top of their heads, beads, etc.) that the younger generations wear but do conservative, styles that work for me even in corporate American.

The look of the braids certainly has more to do with hair texture than with skin color. Hair that is fine and silky doesn't hold the style of braids nearly as long as hair that is more coarse. Fine hair is also very tricky to braid. I hear the complaints about how long it takes on the islands (2 hours etc.) and have to smile because although I can braid my daughters hair (full head) in about an hour because of the coarse texture, for the styles I personally get, full head, no scalp showing, shoulder length extensions, we're talking 4 hours is considered FAST. I know people who sit in salons for 7 - 8 hours getting braids. The good thing is, if you take care of it, wash, condition, moisturize, tie it up at night, it can last (looking as good as new) for at least 6 - 8 weeks!!!

Don't get me wrong. When I do my daughter's hair, it's only good for about a week before it starts looking 'fuzzy' and ready to take out. Part of that is because tying it up at night doesn't work for a 9 year old and the other reason is because I'm not a professional hair braider icon_smile.gif but braiding her hair is the only way to go on a cruise. With all the swimming on the beaches and on the ship, it would be impossible to keep her hair looking nice. She can't just 'wash and go'....nooooooo it would take me at least an hour each day before dinner to whip her hair into shape after all the days activities...if she didn't have braids.

With fine, silky hair, it's hard to even get a decent part in the scalp because the hair is so fine. Then trying to braid it isn't easy either because you work a corn row, from the scalp up and it's nothing like doing a regular braid. Maybe that's why the look is totally different for people with that type of hair texture. Believe me, I tried it years ago on a friend and couldn't get past the first braid. It just didn't look neat.

In any case, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. Ridiculous to one is obviously cute to another, so I say, whatever floats your boat!

</HEAD>

<CENTER>Champaign.gif</CENTER>

<H5>Celebrate The Good Times!</H5>

<LI> <Align Left> Celebration 12/93 (Eastern Caribbean) </A>

<LI>Imagination 10/98 (Western Caribbean)</A>

<LI>Holiday 8/2000 (Baja)</A>

<LI>Grandeur of the Seas 8/2001 (Mediterranean)</A>

<LI>Sensation 8/2002 (Western Caribbean)</A>

<LI>Destiny 8/2003 (Southern Caribbean)</A>

<LI>Glory 8/2004 (Western Caribbean) </A>

</BODY>

</HTML>

Reva...very well put, and I completely agree.

I think the braids are simply a fun rite of passage that some people indulge in when it comes to vacation. I enjoy seeing them, and for some reason, they can pull 'em off there!

My hair isn't long enough, but if it were, I'd probably get a few braids, too.

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - 1994

Royal Majesty - 1996

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until VICTORY is ours 5/9/04

<MARQUEE>A day at sea is better than a day at work</MARQUEE>

Reva_Dearchi...I wonder if vacationers get ripped off on prices for whole heads? I don't think that I would pay good money for my whole head if it did not last. Like you said, when we get our hair done, it lasts 2 months if we want. That is when it is worth it to pay good money. If anyone has had the whole head done(especially on an adult) may we inquire how much you were charged? I usually spend about 90.00, but the braids are very tiny long micro-braids all over my head that reach just over my sholders.

I was just telling my fiance about this thread, and he said something that I wanted to share. He said " People need to learn how to share cultures." This is so true. You are sharing a part of our culture. nuff said.

Blessings 2 U

Paradise Oct 2002 10 day

Paradise Feb.2000 7 day

[This message was edited by INCHARGE on 05-06-04 at 10:07 AM.]

[This message was edited by INCHARGE on 05-06-04 at 10:10 AM.]

Originally posted by INCHARGE:

"People need to learn how to share cultures." This is so true. You are sharing a part of our culture.

In charge: what a wonderful way to put it.

I think the braids are pretty no matter what one's ethnic background is. I don't get them myself because my hair is too fine (and usually too short).

But what a perfect time to get braids and make a vacation even that much more fun. I think when women get the braids they feel pretty. Feeling pretty makes one happy and that is what (in my own opinion)is important. When is Rome and that sort of thing.

Arlene

INCHARGE,

I think as vacationers, we all get ripped off for one thing or another. It may be a very small amount or it may be a large amount but it happens on vacation all the time.

I think that when on vacation, most people have a little different attitude about spending money. We often buy things we don't need and later discover that we don't even want. We're more carefree with our spending because afterall, we are on vacation!

Your question was, do I think people get ripped off when getting their whole head braided in the islands? Absolutely BUT, it's all about having a good time and enjoying oneself so it's probably no different than getting a facial, manicure and pedicure on the ship when you know good and well, you can get it done for a lot less at home. It's that whole vacation aura that allows people to get ripped off and not really mind too much [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

</HEAD>
<CENTER>[img]http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Food_and_Drinks/Alcoholic_Beverages/Champaign.gif[/img] </CENTER>
<H5>Celebrate The Good Times!</H5>
<LI> <Align Left> Celebration 12/93 (Eastern Caribbean) </A>
<LI>Imagination 10/98 (Western Caribbean)</A>
<LI>Holiday 8/2000 (Baja)</A>
<LI>Grandeur of the Seas 8/2001 (Mediterranean)</A>
<LI>Sensation 8/2002 (Western Caribbean)</A>
<LI>Destiny 8/2003 (Southern Caribbean)</A>
<LI>Glory 8/2004 (Western Caribbean) </A>

</BODY>
</HTML>

You are so right! I know folks who never go to spas until they cruise, never drink until they cruise, and never ever buy junk jewelry until they cruise. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Not to mention the soverniers(sp?) we buy that we know we are not going to display anywhere. I am so guilty of that. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Boy, vacationers and their dollors are soon parted! But, what fun [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Blessings 2 U
Paradise Oct 2002 10 day
Paradise Feb.2000 7 day

What a "10". Beautiful - Salty Dawg..

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
6/5/04 - Carnival Truimph -

6/1/03 - RCCL - Voyager
4/03 - Carnival - Fascination

I'd get the headband style of braiding done for my daughter. It seems like a convenient way to keep the hair out of her face.

Any time people have tried to do any kind of braid on my hair, including something like a single French braid, they've commented on how hard it is. My hair is very fine, but thick, so it's a whole lot of not-gonna-stay-put mess, as far as that goes. Daughter's hair is a similar texture, so getting a full head of braids is probably a bad idea.

And we definitely don't want to lose much valuable beach time!

Holiday 7/03
Conquest 7/04

I wonder how in the world someone was able to hold that dog still long enough to get those braids in? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Blessings 2 U
Paradise Oct 2002 10 day
Paradise Feb.2000 7 day

Don't say that!!! It's sooo cute [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Blessings 2 U
Paradise Oct 2002 10 day
Paradise Feb.2000 7 day

That dog is darling. I wish my hair was longer. I'd like to try braids some time. But as an older woman, 50+, who has to color to keep away the grey, I keep my hair really short. To everyone else, I think the braids are fun and why not "share cultures"? Go for it. Cathy

[url="http://www.pazooter.com"][img]http://www.pazooter.com/bandc.gif[/img][/url]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2211ff&cdt=2004;06;27;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

Until our **STAR** search
Seattle to Alaska on NCL Star
June 27, 2004

Fantasy 12/25/03
Inspiration 4/13/03
NCL Majesty 12/27/02
Jubilee 3/23/02
Norwegian Sea 11/23/01

Archived