Specialty dining availability?

I am booked on Ovation OTS, August 20 out of Seattle and I have purchased the UDP for the first time.  I have read that one should try to finalize your reservations for the week as soon as you board.  My question is…in this time of “cruising start up” it has been said that specialty dining reservations are harder to come by (if you would prefer to eat during “normal” hours)…I know I will have to be flexible, but is there a scenario where someone with the UDP doesn’t get reservations?  Or only after 9:00 each night?

At this point, I’m more concerned about mask protocols than dinner, but I’m trying to distract myself 😜.  

36 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I am booked on Ovation OTS, August 20 out of Seattle and I have purchased the UDP for the first time.  I have read that one should try to finalize your reservations for the week as soon as you board.  My question is…in this time of “cruising start up” it has been said that specialty dining reservations are harder to come by (if you would prefer to eat during “normal” hours)…I know I will have to be flexible, but is there a scenario where someone with the UDP doesn’t get reservations?  Or only after 9:00 each night?

At this point, I’m more concerned about mask protocols than dinner, but I’m trying to distract myself 😜.  

I would hope with the number of different options available for dining, that it wouldn't be an issue. 
I am semi in the same situation, just a different ship... With limited passengers I am wondering how many are doing the UDP and how many are doing the MDR or whatever other complimentary dining is available. 

3 hours ago, chefchick said:

On our last cruise on Symphony we were told we could make specialty dining reservations using the APP while waiting to board as long as we were in the terminal.  An hour headstart could be less hectic. Based on our past experience I would head straight to Wonderland to make all the reservations if the app doesn't pan out. The kiosk in the promenade and chops is where everyone seems to go and lines are long. Have a list and a back up list ready to go.

• Like 1

It's also tricky because we can't book any show reservations before we board. I'm in the same situation, and I feel like I would usually book my show reservations and then plan my dinners around the shows. I think flexibility will be key! 

Great advice all.  Thanks for your insight.  I will be solo…can anyone share their experiences with solo dining?  I generally find servers are either very attentive or just don’t know what to do with me…I sat In the same servers section in the MDR on Norwegian once and he always ignored me because he thought I must be waiting for the rest of my party.

I have traveled solo and never had any problems especially in specialty restaurants.  I was treated the same as if there was someone else with me.  I have had them ask 'Are you waiting for someone?' and when I answered 'No' they went right ahead with my order.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Great advice all.  Thanks for your insight.  I will be solo…can anyone share their experiences with solo dining?  I generally find servers are either very attentive or just don’t know what to do with me…I sat In the same servers section in the MDR on Norwegian once and he always ignored me because he thought I must be waiting for the rest of my party.

We always ask for a large table. Last two cruise we had two solo travelers at our MDR table each time. Bigger may be better.. 

10 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

We always ask for a large table. Last two cruise we had two solo travelers at our MDR table each time. Bigger may be better.. 

I’ve actually purchased the UDP for this cruise so I will be eating mainly in specialty restaurants.  Just wondering if anyone has experience with those as a solo?

On 7/3/2021 at 7:49 PM, chefchick said:

I’ve actually purchased the UDP for this cruise so I will be eating mainly in specialty restaurants.  Just wondering if anyone has experience with those as a solo?

i did a solo cruise in december 2019 and had the UPD. it was great. nice and quiet.. never felt rushed. I took a book and just enjoyed the meals. have a blast!

• Like 1