Alaska in October ?

Since the Ovation added 4 cruises at the end of their normal season, this is a first for them. Since Alaska would be one of the last places I would choose to cruise, living in the PNW, it would be all about the ship for me. And as a previous poster stated, Oct. would be the last month I would pick if this was a first Alaska cruise.

I looked at prices for Oct., since I’m still trying to get on a Quantum class ship, but as a solo, the daily rate was still high for what I usually look for. 
However, since it leaves from Seattle, I will keep watching for a rate drop.

45 minutes ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

100% agree! My October Alaska cruise was actually one of my favorites. Yes, it was chilly and rainy, but I don't mind that kind of weather, and it felt very calm and tranquil.

PLUS, as a bonus, I was there at the very end of the season so all of the shops had 50% off sales! Everyone got Christmas gifts from Alaska that year. 😄

I like this.    Lolol 

I’ve been on a couple spring Alaska cruises, a PNW native and Alaska was part of my work territory until my recent retirement.  First, there are several “Alaskas”. Cruising , you will see South East. In October,  Cool to cold, rainy and fog   most likely but it’s possible to have a clear(ish) day with good visibility.  No way to predict and it can change in minutes. The port stops will be less “ tourist season” so you should get a taste of the Real SE.  Personally, I would plan to enjoy the ship mostly. I’d be the guy  living in the Solarium hot tub 😉

I live in Anchorage, so my information will be based off of my experience here. Keep in mind that the cruise ports are in the Southeast and do run warmer and rainier than here. 

September is the start of stormy season, with potential for serious winds and rain. If you’re prone to motion sickness, it’s not a good time to travel. October would be even worse. October is when we occasionally have our first snowfall. Winter clothes are consistently worn in October, and I’m talking about locals. 

Now if you want an adventure, don’t get motion sick, don’t care about whether the port shops are open, and aren’t planning any helicopter excursions, I think you’d be in for a true adventure. 

If you go, let us know your experience!

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 2:08 PM, cruisequeen4ever said:

I live in Anchorage, so my information will be based off of my experience here. Keep in mind that the cruise ports are in the Southeast and do run warmer and rainier than here. 

September is the start of stormy season, with potential for serious winds and rain. If you’re prone to motion sickness, it’s not a good time to travel. October would be even worse. October is when we occasionally have our first snowfall. Winter clothes are consistently worn in October, and I’m talking about locals. 

Now if you want an adventure, don’t get motion sick, don’t care about whether the port shops are open, and aren’t planning any helicopter excursions, I think you’d be in for a true adventure. 

If you go, let us know your experience!

Wow great reply.     Sounds like me for sure.    Will do 

• Like 1