On the Apex Now - 7/31/21 Impressions

Steelydad2021

8 hours ago, little britain said:

Are they offering any deals in speciality restaurants on board?

LB > sorry I repeat the same question to see if protocols / on board experience change! 

There is a soft sell for specialty packages and we bought some mini tasting thing later today.  Did not catch the prices of the dining pkgs but that might depend on the # of passengers and changeable but maybe not.

5 hours ago, Steelydad2021 said:

That's a tough one to answer. 

Officially, only X guided excursions on Mykonos.  Unofficially, heard of passengers ducking out and wandering town, restaurants, shops w/o getting scolded or flogged.  Also, heard they had a recent spike on the island.   So, not sure about strict enforcement Kevinmia.  Reckon if don't like the rules, wait a minute and they will change.  Difficult to keep up.

The regulation is still in place on Celebrity (not other cruise lines).
Not saying it didn´t happen, but if one decided to break the rule and gets caught doing it - the cruise ends right then and there for them. Good! 

Not happy about the regulation and I don´t think it makes much sense currently.

However, as long as it´s in place I`m happy to see it enforced.

Agree about the changes. We are sailing in 4 weeks and it might be different then.

• Like 1

Enjoying your review. We are on Apex 28th August, counting the days and worried something will happen before then to stop us getting there . We are from Scotland and it looks like Greece may go on the green travel list which would be a relief .

keep enjoying your cruise 

Irene

1 hour ago, ScotsLady said:

Enjoying your review. We are on Apex 28th August, counting the days and worried something will happen before then to stop us getting there . We are from Scotland and it looks like Greece may go on the green travel list which would be a relief .

keep enjoying your cruise 

Irene

Apex adventure awaits ScotsLady

Strange days indeed, most peculiar w/ the color thing.  One day its "strict rules of golf Goldfinger," the next Ernst Stavro Blofeld and Chaos is in charge (no that was from Get Smart not Bond)

Feels real safe on board the way X does everything but who knows? Not me.  

But so far, its everything they say, the end of perfect day, distant lights from across the bay ... so keep counting

And now we come to the "sensations, libations that stagger the mind" part of the program ... Greek theme lunch day in Oceanview.

First wash hands, always first, they watch ... and that's a good thing

Then fruit of the vine from Dionysius, things from the sea, then Moussaka, lamb, eggplant, baklava, Turkish Delight, lots local tasty dishes with Zorba music.

Anthony Quinn would break a plate ...but wait, wasn't he Mexican not Greek?

Oppaahhh, who cares what he was,  Opppahh

(and still not a drop of Retsina in sight)

grapes.jpeg

fish.jpeg

fishy.jpeg

Greek lunch sweets.jpeg

• Like 1

Steelydad (hard not to write Steely Dan all the time).  Thanks for the laughs - the hilarity continues...😆

Hope you are enjoying your sea day.

That buffet is something with the huge fish!

How is the wine onboard?  Someone was complaining about bad/old wine on a recent Edge sailing, thinking that it was from "before Covid" and they didn't restock.  Just curious....

Thanks again.

Canuck

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 5:07 PM, Steelydad2021 said:

Ian441672’s recent Apex thread was most helpful leading up to this week and here is hoping Ian is enjoying a much deserved B2B second week somewhere on the ship.  Since this current sailing is just the Apex’s 7th and earlier trips were at a fraction capacity, perhaps these jet lagged on-board impressions will be of some value.  Of course, YMMV and significant future changes would be expected in these times.

DW & I are closer to 60 than to 50, 8th cruise (including 1 river Seine), last in 1/20 on Windstar Legend in the Caribbean.  Booked Apex last April when after a year + of gloom, we took out the map and asked “when it’s over, where to?”  Threw a dart and DW says “after your trip behind the fridge to get that dart, how about Greek islands?” (Retiring that joke now.) 

When X announced Greece & Israel it was like she served the smooth retsina, the danger on the rocks was surely past, call in my reservation, so long hey thanks my friend and we can sail till the bending end.  But then no Israel, sad, but happy about Dubrovnik which was on ye ole bucket list and mostly thrilled just to be traveling. 

Finally, after months of worry especially about passing the pre-boarding test though vaxed asymptomatic spread is a remote possibility, it was swab, wait 15 min, got hoped for results and welcome aboard.  Not so for a parent and child behind us apparently(?) the cause of the X staff hushed scurrying about in the tent on the dock.  Lots of urgent talk into cell phones and purposeful walking.  Cannot imagine the disappointment for any unlucky souls having made it that far only to be turn away.  Apparently, X handled the situation allowing 800 passengers and 900 crew set sail this week.  Perhaps this is how things will be – risks handled and life returns for all but the few unlucky but who knows? Not me.

Arrived at 11:15am for the scheduled 11:30, luggage efficiently checked in with directions to wait in the large tent.  The ice water was welcomed but AC’s barely cooled the 100 degree+ real feel temp.  Thanks to other CC threads, we were braced for the hot wait and had prepared all the paperwork unlike a lady in a wheelchair who got real loud when hers was not in order.    A failure to plan is a plan for failure and as the sign in the WC says, ‘no job is complete until the paperwork is done’ (retiring that too) so best to triple check the current requirements.  Saw that woman later by the pool so guess she eventually got on but she was still hollering about her bother hours later.

On board at 12:40 so figure 90 min to get on but that includes 15 min early arrival.  BTW one of the nasal swabbers told DW to throw out the little test # paper but others asked for it after getting the results.  Not sure if that would have been a big deal had we not kept it.

First thing on board was to check the ever-changing excursions status & as mentioned before in this forum, still X led excursions only on Mikonos but freedom everywhere else … for now.   Starting to notice … where are all the people? 

The Ship:

Much has been written about the Apex style but IMHO, the natural plantings, especially at the Rooftop Garden and Eden, and the eclectic art keep the vibe just shy of tacky glitz.   That massive stark chandelier comes close maybe. Clearly lots of thought, lessons learned and top $ went into everything.  Reckon they had some time for fine tuning recently too.

Touchless doors, little gathering seating all over usually w/ stunning views, a spacious state of the art gym, winding ramp jogging track, the Magic Carpet (engineering genius that) for speeding up tenders are all much welcome.  Fanciful chairs from wingbacks to hammock seats and pin shots of bygone starlet types from your favorite foreign movie make for an interesting mix of theming.  Still figuring it all out but that’s a good thing.  Apex big debut, a refuge to run to for skipped dimensions?  It’s definitely not an ordinary party boat.

Soot smell is noticeable at times at the pools but not on our room balcony.  Wifi is ship wifi.  You might use it when you feel better when you get home.   Smooth sailing on water like glass but it’s a heat wave w/o the usual Santa Anna type winds they say.

The staff seems genuinely happy to be working again, relieved even -- a much appreciated ethic these days … nuff said.  They set a polite example wearing masks but are not in your face so to speak about not wearing them especially outdoors and especially when its so hot out.  You can overhear it’s a topic but (hopefully) losing the maskhole ugliness on both sides … nuff said.  BTW the X branded masks provided in the room are like wearing an oven mitt, a fancy mitt but still … not a breath of air.

The Room:

A Sky Suite seemed a reasonable balance between ‘no-time-like-now’ Covid urgency and continuing offspring tuition obligations.  Balcony adds massive indoor/outdoor space for time out of mind but the sliding door seems to have a tricky airlock thingy going on.  I might have broken a piece, … well definitely.  Walls are thin though and we hear thems next door.  Better turn up the Eagles.  On whole tho, the room works.

This week the suites are 2/3’s booked which is much less than the last few weeks so maybe should have tried to bid something bigger but that would upset that reasonable balance.  But as a result, Luminae, for example, has been less than 1/3 full for meals.   I still ride the subway to work so no complaints about extra space but sometimes it feels like the ship wants more customers.  Not like “The Shining” earie but this boat was built for way more people and you can almost hear it long for more cruisers.  Or maybe that was just the wind howling from the sliding door which somebody failed to close last night. OK that was me but I got it figured now.

The crowd or lack of crowd seems overwhelmingly from the States w/ a sprinkling of UK, South Africa, Spain, Netherlands and very few under 18.   Also, maybe folks are feeling unleashed which is understandable but the inevitable few loudmouths and complainers are not always lost in a crowd and at times behave in cringing contrast to the understated crew professionalism.   “Hey, Party Boat was to the left you so-and-sos, this ain’t ____ (insert favorite party boat line).”  Mostly though folks are settling down to enjoying a proper good time and probably figured out their sliding doors straight away.

Food: Expectations were high and so far met, surpassed even for the Oceanview Café, which is effectively an world class cafeteria with million $ views.  They still serve the drinks there but it’s a nice not be constantly being served.  For many years now there are 2 places were folks w/ food issues could reliably feel safe; Disney (ships, parks, Adventures by D, etc.) and cruise ships … just makes vacation so much better.  All meals at Luminae so far, tre bien … no … better than tre bien.

Cannot really speak to entertainment but so far the random live music has been about on par with past cruises, namely, enjoyable enough for the setting but would not buy the album.

If you are torn about cruising, I would suggest - throw out the hardware, do it right and give it the college try.  Things may get a whole lot worse before suddenly falling apart. 

Just so happy X is doing this sail so far and cocktails do taste better on the water.

And to think, last Monday, guy on the 4 train next to me lights up a spliff.... in a closed car... at 7am. 🤪 What a difference a week can make.

Steely Dad thanks for taking the time to write this clever and informative post. Not happy to hear about noise between cabins or that the loudmouths are still to be heard. But as any major dude will tell you, any cruise is better than no cruise. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Miaminice said:

The regulation is still in place on Celebrity (not other cruise lines).
Not saying it didn´t happen, but if one decided to break the rule and gets caught doing it - the cruise ends right then and there for them. Good! 

Not happy about the regulation and I don´t think it makes much sense currently.

However, as long as it´s in place I`m happy to see it enforced.

Agree about the changes. We are sailing in 4 weeks and it might be different then.

Well put Miaminice

As a matter of groovessential fact, as you say, the X regulation was in place this week but just do not know the extent it was enforced.  Maybe it was, but did not see enforcement efforts rightly or wrongly.

But did hear first hand some loud bragging on board about breaking the rules from those going their own way and apparently also on the Facebook group, so tend to believe it happened.

In an effort to stay in that vacation mode growing each day, I try to put the headphones on around the braggards and the scolds.   

If I thought about it, sure, breaking the rules can ruin things for the offender (heard Capt. Kate tossed some passengers) and ruin things for others too but also get those find the rules senseless and are through with Buzz so to speak

... if I thought about it ... 

Important topic but not worth it at the same time  -- not compared to the pretty boats sweeping along the shore in the faltering light, mistahh drivahh, take me where the music is

1 hour ago, GREGAHOY said:

Steely Dad thanks for taking the time to write this clever and informative post. Not happy to hear about noise between cabins or that the loudmouths are still to be heard. But as any major dude will tell you, any cruise is better than no cruise. 

😄 any major dude with half a heart, Gregahoy 😄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Steelydad (hard not to write Steely Dan all the time).  Thanks for the laughs - the hilarity continues...😆

Hope you are enjoying your sea day.

That buffet is something with the huge fish!

How is the wine onboard?  Someone was complaining about bad/old wine on a recent Edge sailing, thinking that it was from "before Covid" and they didn't restock.  Just curious....

Thanks again.

Canuck

This!

Thanks Canuck for the course correction

Wandered off course, of course

Back to cruising and musing about libations, sensations that stagger the mind

There was a CC thread a while back by those who know way more about wine than Steelydad on how the X sommeliers suggestions paired the cheapest selections and what do you know.  Comparing the X wine selections against the Vino app and the sommeliers suggestions so far, there might be something to that.   Further research required.

So, not being the expert, what better way to learn something than on a sea day than that wine tasting event ($29 pp upcharge)?

Three whites (no Retsina), 2 reds + unlimited refills & nibbles. Taste this with that, that with this.  Sommelier really knew his stuff.

Then some guy says "Hey, what do you have to do to get a cold smooth Retsina around here?  This is Greece, right?  They drink Ouzo and Retsina?" 

The nerve, right? Only a fool would say that.  But the sommelier answered me patiently.   Greek wines don't keep and don't travel.  They oxidize.  🤔

Loads of fun.  Learned a lot.  All made sense at the time.  Three whites, 2 reds + unlimited refills later ... retained nothing.  

Enjoy responsibly.   

Wonder what's for dessert

best wine Apex.jpg

• Like 3

Here is a question,  are they checking your vaccine status before port visits?  They have changed Cyprus to Dubrovnik. My wife has the Astra Zeneca -Pfizer mix.  I know that’s good enough for Celebrity, and for entry to Greece.  Can she go ashore in Croatia?  We are on the Aug 21 sailing.

17 minutes ago, LeafsFanNL said:

Here is a question,  are they checking your vaccine status before port visits?  They have changed Cyprus to Dubrovnik. My wife has the Astra Zeneca -Pfizer mix.  I know that’s good enough for Celebrity, and for entry to Greece.  Can she go ashore in Croatia?  We are on the Aug 21 sailing.

Hmmmm ... another question with a disconnect between official messaging and what actually happened Leafs

We were told at a couple of stops to make sure to have the vax card or a screenshot of it on the phone when we got off the Apex BUT nobody has asked for vax proof anywhere on shore.  Never needed anything more that the room key/sea pass to get on/off.  That is all the local agents of the law ask for us lucky pedestrians getting back on the ship.  Croatia no different today.

Cannot guarantee it will stay that way.🙃

BTW the future weather on the phone was way off for Croatia.  Yesterday it said 80-90% of rain and thunderstorms all day today so we cancelled the X excursion.  Course there has been not a drop nor a cloud in the sky after around 9am.  Like the weather in my head. Luckily, the Old Town is easy to do on your own.   Walk the walls and look down into the swooping alleys, restaurants, archways and people walking around.  A regular M.C. Escher painting ... or Game of Thrones episode. 

To think the Serbs bombed this tiny ancient place in our lifetime. 😟

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, LeafsFanNL said:

Croatia does accept the EMA-approved mix of AZ and BioNTech/Pfizer.
No problem there.

We are also vaccinated with 1st dose of AZ, 2nd dose of BioNTech and will be on Apex in September. So just to make sure, I double checked that a while ago already 😉

Edited by Miaminice

29 minutes ago, Steelydad2021 said:

Course there has been not a drop nor a cloud in the sky after around 9am.  Like the weather in my head.

Well the danger on the rocks has surely passed. Still loving your review Steelydad. Style - 10, Information - 10, replacing the travel planning/covid track in my head with music from one of my favorite bands - Priceless.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Well the danger on the rocks has surely passed. Still loving your review Steelydad. Style - 10, Information - 10, replacing the travel planning/covid track in my head with music from one of my favorite bands - Priceless.

That's just b/c you have impeccable taste and hope you are right about the danger ...

and speaking of danger, re: fear of heights on the Magic Carpet which has been the subject of some CC discussion, its not a problem when you are on it since its floor space is so big, just don't look at from certain angles (see below) or your superfine mind can come undone

just dangle your legs over the side - no don't do that

magic carpet 1.jpeg

Magic Carpet.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Fun hanging with all the cool cats here on CC Lastdance

Speaking of cool cats, lots of them this week

Cats napping, cats drinking, cats cozying up in an Dubrovnik Old Town rampart arrow slot somehow, stone big cats of Delos - now that's some classic rock, never gets old

Now turn, stop, start to finger pop from classic rock on shore to yacht rock on board with the Shaun Brown Band and The Badness - those cats have chops!  Best live group on board IMHO chillin' at the Martini Bar or is it the Manatee Bar?

If they are on board and you have eyes to rythmatize , try to catch these cats because they are no lounge act

In fact, reminds me of a group ...name escapes ... jazz fusion ... R&B ...makes the complex sound breezy, deep in the pocket, what was that band?

(add658306652_cats2.jpeg.8b2a9c352d664c54c36e794bab50dd51.jpeg a hot dog for balance)

1772666970_hotdog.jpeg.60218b436e4c36d5f8aa2ea2cb31280c.jpeg1733243795_Catinaholeinthewall.jpeg.3e47d843123dab651b2179d5bc717ceb.jpeg1410619959_Deloscats.thumb.jpeg.d3bf8ad958a3f72b28c2a90302790589.jpeg

Cats 1.jpeg

Edited by Host Kat
Per author's request.
  • Like 1

We’ve been on all week…but mostly relaxing…so much that I’ve neglected to post much.  So, thank you to Steelydad for doing the in-depth reporting.  I haven’t had that much time.  Too busy beating the triangular path from suite to Retreat Lounge to Luminae!  We haven’t really explored most of the ship yet…but we do have next week as well…

Since our shore excursions may have differed, I guess I’ll tell you all about ours:

Santorini:  Pyrgos Village— Nice ride to highest point on island for view but, being Sunday, we couldn’t go inside the church.  Walked around Pyrgos village with a little shopping time then to a winery for wine and mezes and back to the ship.  No visit to Thera…but time to take another tender over. We didn’t because we’ve been there many times.  All in all, though, a relaxing tour.  Great guide—Anna…

Rhodes:  Best of Rhodes full day.  Started with drive to Lindos.  Long walk from bus parking,  then painful climb over 300 uneven steps plus multiple uphill ramps to top (should have known better, we’ve done this before!) for some very picturesque ruins…long walk down to town and free time…found great no sugar ice cream for 1.5 euros per scoop.  Took the bus (.50 euros pp) back to the bus parking because my knees hurt so bad from the climb.  Then drive back to Old Town Rhodes for a tour then (okay) lunch, then free time in massive tourist shopping area before return to ship.  Exhausting day in the heat but a worthwhile tour.

Mykonos:  Cheesrmaking—Long slow walking tour through town with DULL guide…but visit to Cheese place was fun. 15 guests on tour.  Cheese guy was entertaining and we had wine and lots of food prepared as part of the presentation.  Three cheeses, cheese pie in filo, filo with honey, yogurt and berries and more.  Not a tour for everyone but when you’ve already been to Mykonos multiple times, it was something different.

Dubrovnik:  Dalmatian Coast and Wine Tasting.  Didn’t go to Dubrovnik.  Went to Ston and Mali Ston… First a farm with old fashioned olive press demonstration…and food and wine—prosciutto, bread, oil, Greek salad…then on to Ston for a tour of town and a stop at a winery.  Tastings of about ten different flavored liqueurs out on the patio then inside for tastings of three wines, bread and oil and cheese…pretty much unlimited tastings…then, believe it or not, off to Mali Ston…and lunch!!  Risotto and pasta with shrimp, mussels, clams and oysters…and more wine!  Then back to the ship.  LOVED this tour.  Great alternative for those who have been to Dubrovnik before.

At sea day today.  Had to deal with early morning antigen test even though we’re on B2B…I am now just sitting in the Retreat Lounge…RELAXING.  Changeover day tomorrow…

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Breaking out the Good Stuff there Bruin Steve, very good stuff

Been blathering on about the new Apex but you are quite right, the itinerary was a huge draw.   

Rhodes -  little walled old town just off the boat, great for wandering, love the leafy fountain squares and other shapes, scattered places of worship in the Abrahamic traditions, find your "come to ______ (insert prophet of choice) place."

Dubrovnik - a living mesmerizing movie/TV set, unique and authentic, despite the crowds luckily fairly manageable right now

Delos - nothing here but history, sprawling rocky ruins but thousands of years ago 30,000 people lived on this sunny island ... with indoor plumbing ... in 5-6000 square foot houses ... built by slave labor ... in a prosperous free trade zone ... but were done in by pirates ... kinda blows maahhh mind ... probably lots of lessons on tax policy, free capital, OSHA regs, defense spending and the like but I keep thinking about the what's next for dessert?

• Like 2

Steelydad - loved your cat pics & love the "hot dog" thrown in😀

Bruin Steve - thanks for your great report & wonderful that you are also on a B2B.

Love reading these reports as it makes me look forward to our cruises on Apex next year even more.

Hope you both have a good turnaround day & a good lunch in Le Bistro.

Canuck