Cancelation due to military

babygrljaz

I had to, back in 2016 though.  Got hit with a deployment tasking.

I called Carnival, they initially said I'd have to pay either a cancellation fee, or a fee to reschedule.  Called back and spoke with another Carnival agent, and he went ahead and rescheduled my cruise, free of charge.

• Thanks 1

Do you have the Carnival insurance? It is not covered as a reason for cancellation unless you are being called to help in a natural disaster.

Other companies do cover it so it depends on your policy.

No coverage? Throw yourself on the mercy of your pvp and see what he can do for you. It ought to be covered as a goodwill gesture for your service, but you won’t know until you can talk to someone.

No insurance, my pvp said if we have to cancel because of military we wouldn't need it.  I did mention to him when i was booking my concern.  My sil is in the Navy.  He's at his new....post....idk what it's called.  Anyway he got orders he would be going to Washington state 5 months after we booked.  He is there now, still not is their system so he can not request leave.  We are about 5 weeks from sail date.  His last leave was not approved literally until the night before he was scheduled to leave.  I don't want to wait that long.  Also he was told Monday that because of the rise in covid cases they don't think it's a good idea for him to cruise. My daughter said she would wait 2 weeks before making a decision but i'm really thinking we will have to cancel.  Bad thing is if we cancel him we would have to be moved but there are only 2 occupancy rooms available.  Anyway thank you. Was hoping to get an idea of what might happen.  I'll call my pvp i guess at 30 days out.  Hopefully all this masking & vaccine thing settles down.  I'm ready to cruise period so I am willing to change my mine but would hate if my daughter & her husband have to lose money, fly2fun is booked as well....UGH!

Just my 2 cents. I'm not aware of unapproved leave from the military being a reason for a free cancellation. However, unofficially, report on other threads, with the new vaccine/testing requirements, many people have been successful in getting a refund or rescheduling without a penalty. At the moment, that sounds like it may be the easier path to take....

I hope I did not give the impression that unapproved leave would be covered by some policies. I believe it refers to leave that was granted then orders changed.

If your pvp said you do not need insurance for military cancellation, then take it up with him.

8 hours ago, babygrljaz said:

Has anyone had to cancel due to military restrictions? How does that work? I haven't tried calling my pvp, with yesterday's announcement I figured he would a bit busy. I was trying to wait until I got more info. 

If you have USAA- you can click through “other insurance” and they have a deal

with travelers insurance with another company- it includes military leave denial. We always purchase it before trips. You don’t have to purchase at the time of booking!

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, gnocchi_mommy said:

If you have USAA- you can click through “other insurance” and they have a deal

with travelers insurance with another company- it includes military leave denial. We always purchase it before trips. You don’t have to purchase at the time of booking!

Does the leave have to have been approved then denied because of a change in orders? As I understand the OP, the person in question has not been able to apply for leave yet, much less have it approved. It is not even in the process.

8 hours ago, Babr said:

Do you have the Carnival insurance? It is not covered as a reason for cancellation unless you are being called to help in a natural disaster.

Other companies do cover it so it depends on your policy.

No coverage? Throw yourself on the mercy of your pvp and see what he can do for you. It ought to be covered as a goodwill gesture for your service, but you won’t know until you can talk to someone.

What about if you book Military Rate?

17 minutes ago, Babr said:

Does the leave have to have been approved then denied because of a change in orders? As I understand the OP, the person in question has not been able to apply for leave yet, much less have it approved. It is not even in the process.

I’m not sure but I know my husband wouldn’t have had any issue ever getting a letter attesting leave was revoked from command had he needed it (eg leave denied)

Edited by gnocchi_mommy

4 minutes ago, gnocchi_mommy said:

I’m not sure but I know my husband wouldn’t have had any issue ever getting a letter attesting leave was revoked from command had he needed it (eg leave denied)

That is what I am asking. It has to be granted before it can be revoked. OP says leave has not even been requested. How can insurance cover that?