Ocean Cay Snorkeling

zackarykeef

Hey all…

As OC is a marine preserve, just wondering if there is anywhere to snorkel off the island. I have my own equipment so trying to find out if I should bring it. Not sure if you can go places on your own or you would have to pay/do something ship-sponsored. Thanks in advance!

We took our own gear, and just walked in from one of the beaches.  We didn't see anything special, but we didn't go out very far or for long.  There is no reef that I'm aware of, just sandy (rough surface; best to wear water shoes) bottoms.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, zackarykeef said:

Hey all…

As OC is a marine preserve, just wondering if there is anywhere to snorkel off the island. I have my own equipment so trying to find out if I should bring it. Not sure if you can go places on your own or you would have to pay/do something ship-sponsored. Thanks in advance!

Just noticed that there is a snorkel tour via boat from Ocean Cay--called "shipwreck snorkeling getaway" illustrated with a photo of a shallow looking wreck (not to be confused with how I am often described). $62, 2 hours. One hour in the water. I can't imagine this is as appealing for those who bring their own gear, but I am considering either their snorkel equipment package for $29 or this. Does anyone have experience with the 'getaway'?

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Wondering if anyone has done the shipwreck snorkel tour and if so, how was it? How does it compare to any other place you've ever snorkeled? Ie Cozumel, St. thomas, Australia, etc. etc. THANKS

On 8/11/2021 at 1:42 PM, zackarykeef said:

Hey all…

The whole area is lousy so don't waste your time or money. Our friends did the shi$wreck tour and they said is was a joke.

• Like 1

OC is relatively new. MSC is still working on the restoration to the beaches.

Surrounding waters currently do not have much marine life. It is not a place for active snorkeling, just playing on beach.

Originally, this island was used to scavenge sand for other beaches, shipped to other islands. It was pillaged with not much left.  After the hurricane damage , the opening was delayed. It will take some time to get 

eco system restored. 
Save snorkeling for other “ established” known areas. 
Our latest great snorkeling trip was Bonaire. Protected reef .

On 7/3/2022 at 3:07 PM, phissy said:

OC is relatively new. MSC is still working on the restoration to the beaches.

Surrounding waters currently do not have much marine life. It is not a place for active snorkeling, just playing on beach.

Originally, this island was used to scavenge sand for other beaches, shipped to other islands. It was pillaged with not much left.  After the hurricane damage , the opening was delayed. It will take some time to get 

eco system restored. 
Save snorkeling for other “ established” known areas. 
Our latest great snorkeling trip was Bonaire. Protected reef .

To not totally hijack the thread, I'll say I agree with this.  I was told there are some turtles that live in the lagoon, they hang out near the rocks.  The day I went was windy and we had a bunch of rain so it wasn't clear.  Didn't see anything in the lagoon.  
I also snorkelled in the Lighthouse Bay beach.  There were a few small fish, nothing spectacular but neat I guess. I considered snorkelling at one of the beaches that didn't have a life guard but it was quite rough and didn't want to go alone. 

On to the hijack - we are heading to Bonaire in November, where did you snorkel?

20 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I recall reading that MSC has been doing a turtle restoration program, apparently with good success. But I can't remember what area might be the best for seeing them.

The life guards told me the lagoon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

On to the hijack - we are heading to Bonaire in November, where did you snorkel?

You need to have a licensed boat take you out to Kleiner Bonaire. It is small island / reefs eco habitat. Areas around are protected and patrolled to make sure only those boats  with permits allowed. Went with Woodwind Bonaire. Best day of my snorkeling life. Like being in a huge  aquarium with massive schools of fish, corals of every type and sea turtles. 

• Thanks 1

I am definitely not a pro, not even close, but we snorkeled at Red Sea, Bonaire, etc. And enjoyed Ocean Cay: we saw a turtle several times in the lagoon, and a nurse shark. The area on Lighthouse beach closer to the rocks or near the net  was full of fish. We tried to snorkel on the beaches without a lifeguard and were stopped shortly by the security (?). We also took an excursion to the wrecked ship and had a great time. 

• Like 1