Onboard the AmaKristina 8/26 - 9/02

Wings55

We got home late last night after a 26 hour day. I must say I can't find anything good to say about international airline travel these days. All the more reason to to spend a few extra days in Europe.

We had several connecting flights and some places wanted to see COVID test results and others did not. When boarding in Germany Jane had to show her test and while I did not. Customs was a mixed bag too. We had to wait in a loooong line in Frankfurt. Those who had tight connections probably missed flights. We landed in Chicago and the Customs folks there were super efficient and even friendly!

It's great to be home but I must admit I'm going to miss the good food and service and the nice people we met the last two weeks. 

I'll check back later to see if anyone has any last minute questions. To all those who will be cruising soon, have fun!

Paul

• Like 1

@Wings55 A long day getting back. I hope you are able to have a good rest.

You indicated at the beginning of your Rhone cruise that at that point so far you preferred it to the Seine. Now that you have returned home would you still say so? Can you point to specific things or is it just overall impressions?

Any difference in service between the two ships? Do they acknowledge the different regions in variety of food and wine?

Thank you.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Paul. Welcome back and glad you had a good trip😀 as for the flights....they are what they are...

@Lois R Yes indeed, and without them we wouldn't be cruising in Europe so I really can't complain all that much. (except for the lady who reclined her seat with no warning and removed my kneecaps yesterday. 😮)

Paul

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

@Wings55 A long day getting back. I hope you are able to have a good rest.

You indicated at the beginning of your Rhone cruise that at that point so far you preferred it to the Seine. Now that you have returned home would you still say so? Can you point to specific things or is it just overall impressions?

Any difference in service between the two ships? Do they acknowledge the different regions in variety of food and wine?

Thank you.

notamermaid

@notamermaidYes there were differences. The 'Lyra is older and the decor reflects that fact. Not trying to be nasty but I called the style 'Gramma's living room'. The 'Kristina is newer and a bit more contemporary in style and color. Still nothing like Uniworld's over the top fancy or Scenic's sleek and clean look.

The food on the 'Lyra was good but not great. The Chef's table dinner was fine but nothing amazing. On the 'Kristina the quality was a couple steps up almost every evening. I can't say the menu selections varied much from one river to the other but the wines were usually regional.

One downfall was our dining room waiter. I won't name names but the poor individual was always two steps behind and seemed very flustered I felt badly for him/her. If I ordered sausage with my eggs, I got bacon, and if Jane asked for a banana she'd get berries. The rest of the staff was seamless on both ships. Both cruise directors worked their tails off due to COVID restrictions and paperwork issues. Those folks were impressive. 

Highlights on the Seine were the Normandy beaches and Monet's garden. On the Rhone I loved Lyon and the surrounding region. Each has it's good qualities but overall the Rhone seemed prettier and more consistent. 

We thought we were going to get to try out Ama's newer double balcony staterooms on the 'Kristiana but that didn't work out. so we had the same size (170 sq ft) staterooms on both ships. On the "K" were way at the back on the middle deck. In the past I kind of dismissed those who complained about noise because we have always but in the middle or the front. I am now a believer! Going down stream on the Rhine when they had to slow the ship by reversing the azipods our cabin would shake and vibrate. Not good during the day but at night I thought we were sleeping on a paint shaker. NEVER again!! 

It's nice to be home but I'm already looking forward to another river cruise, maybe the Duro this time. Will we choose Ama again..? Probably not unless it's a smoking deal. I'm not a fan of Uniworld's frou-frou fancy style but they do an amazing job. If I feel like splurging I'd go for Scenic every time. I've not tried Tauck and know I can't afford Crystal so Scenic is my 'aspirational' choice. 

Paul

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Wings55 said:

@Lois R Yes indeed, and without them we wouldn't be cruising in Europe so I really can't complain all that much. (except for the lady who reclined her seat with no warning and removed my kneecaps yesterday. 😮)

Paul

Hi Paul, sounds a bit painful!😲  I have come to the point in my life where it is Business Class for me when flying to Europe. Having your own "Kiosk" is a wonderful thing😀

@Lois RWe've booked a Med. cruise from Barcelona to Venice next May. Jane used to fly to CA and back every week and still had some upgrades available so for the first time we'll be 'up front' on the plane, Without the upgrade points I'm sure we'd be in steerage as usual. 😉

Paul

3 minutes ago, Wings55 said:

@Lois RWe've booked a Med. cruise from Barcelona to Venice next May. Jane used to fly to CA and back every week and still had some upgrades available so for the first time we'll be 'up front' on the plane, Without the upgrade points I'm sure we'd be in steerage as usual. 😉

Paul

Ahhh...........once you go Business Class, it will be VERY hard to go back to coach! (Especially on those long flights).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Ahhh...........once you go Business Class, it will be VERY hard to go back to coach! (Especially on those long flights).

@Lois R LOL! That's exactly what $cares me the most. Jane will confirm that I can be a bit... thrifty. 😉

9 minutes ago, Wings55 said:

@Lois R LOL! That's exactly what $cares me the most. Jane will confirm that I can be a bit... thrifty. 😉

LOL.....well, I just sailed out of Seattle.....the airfare was included in my cruise price but I paid extra  to get "Premium Economy".........just to get the extra legroom........5.5 hours fly time across the country, it was worth it.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Hmmm thrifty I’ve got one of those but as our first cruise was Scenic he got converted and now wouldn’t change so along with business it’s win win for me. 😊

Our first cruise was with Scenic and I agree, they are the best but maybe that means I'm just 'cheap'. 🤷‍♂️😉

@KLRDUKS We were in #230 which would be across the hall and back another four cabins. While it doesn't sound like much I would be that extra distance will make a difference. Sure, if you could more up farther it might be even quieter but I think you'll be OK. On previous cruises we've been in cabins similar to your location and we didn't notice the noise and vibrations. Enjoy your cruise!!

Paul

• Like 1

We got a nice little surprise in the mail yesterday, a post card from the Amalyra. It was a hand written card thanking us sailing with Ama and expressing the hope we will join them again. I was signed by the captain, the cruise manager and the hotel manager. What a nice touch.

Paul

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Wings55 said:

We got a nice little surprise in the mail yesterday, a post card from the Amalyra. It was a hand written card thanking us sailing with Ama and expressing the hope we will join them again. I was signed by the captain, the cruise manager and the hotel manager. What a nice touch.

Paul

Hi Paul, good morning. WOW, they are still doing that......I sailed with AMA back in 2016 and remember getting a postcard after returning home too!

On 9/8/2021 at 3:50 AM, Wings55 said:

@KLRDUKS We were in #230 which would be across the hall and back another four cabins. While it doesn't sound like much I would be that extra distance will make a difference. Sure, if you could more up farther it might be even quieter but I think you'll be OK. On previous cruises we've been in cabins similar to your location and we didn't notice the noise and vibrations. Enjoy your cruise!!

Paul

Umm we were just put in cabin 231  😦   Was it vibrations every night?

11 hours ago, anthonyy7 said:

Umm we were just put in cabin 231  😦   Was it vibrations every night?

@anthonyy7 No, definitely not. The only night that it bothered us was I believe the night sail from Tournon to Avignon. There were several locks to transit and the irritation  was worst when they had to slow the ship to enter the locks. One night won't ruin the rest of the trip. 🙂

Paul

Ps Say hi to Galina in the lounge for me. She did a great job of keeping my bourbon glass filled. 

I was looking on a map and that stretch seemed the longest so I figured that would be alot of night sailing.  Is it mostly afternoon sailing?  I'm not concerned about noise as I sleep with earplugs almost all the time when traveling and at home with a noise machine.  I just don't want to be laying on a paint shaker all night but I guess 1 night isnt too bad or maybe it was just on your side of the ship lol

A few other questions...

The Lyon city tour says morning... is there free time afterwards?  I definitely want to check out the roman theaters on the hill.   Most days it has AM tours so I'm assuming the afternoon is sailing?  I know there are a couple of bike tours but the prev sailing we were suppose to do from Arles to Chalon there was options to bike between towns but I don't see any mention of that.  However these were closer together towns on the Saone.   What time is dinner usually??  Sadly we'll have to leave the evening before disembarkation to overnight at CDG for our morning.  The last train is at 7p so I'm thinking we won't have time for dinner that night.

Yes can't wait to see Galina so she can keep my Gin topped off  🙂

8 hours ago, anthonyy7 said:

I was looking on a map and that stretch seemed the longest so I figured that would be alot of night sailing.  Is it mostly afternoon sailing?  I'm not concerned about noise as I sleep with earplugs almost all the time when traveling and at home with a noise machine.  I just don't want to be laying on a paint shaker all night but I guess 1 night isnt too bad or maybe it was just on your side of the ship lol

A few other questions...

The Lyon city tour says morning... is there free time afterwards?  I definitely want to check out the roman theaters on the hill.   Most days it has AM tours so I'm assuming the afternoon is sailing?  I know there are a couple of bike tours but the prev sailing we were suppose to do from Arles to Chalon there was options to bike between towns but I don't see any mention of that.  However these were closer together towns on the Saone.   What time is dinner usually??  Sadly we'll have to leave the evening before disembarkation to overnight at CDG for our morning.  The last train is at 7p so I'm thinking we won't have time for dinner that night.

Yes can't wait to see Galina so she can keep my Gin topped off  🙂

@anthonyy7 I feel the noise was worse than the vibration so you'll probably be fine. I don't think the port or starboard side would make any difference. We had tours that day in the morning and afternoon so most of the distance was covered at night.

In Lyon we took the 'active' tour in the morning. They us bussed to the top of the hill to see the Basilica and then we walked back down to the ship. On the way we stopped to see the Roman theater but we did not have time to actually tour the site. If remember correctly there was time after the tour if you wanted to return for some extra time at the theater. 

I don't believe you can bike all the way from town to town but there are several bike tours and they were quite popular. We did three the week before on the AmaLyra but none on this cruise.

'Happy Hour' was usually from 6-7pm with dinner starting at 7:00. Yes, please tell Galena that Jane and I said hi. I had my nightly bourbon and she her vodka martinis. 

You'll have a very enjoyable week on the Kristina. 

Paul

• 5 weeks later...

I passed on your greetings to Galena.  She was very friendly as was the rest of the crew most specially our waiter Richard and CD Camille.  The trip was wonderful with perfect weather throughout.  We were upgraded again to 329 cabin which is above our original.  Vibrations weren't too bad and noise was minimal and as you said it was only 1 night of sailing.  It was the wind that night which was bad and during the following day but manageable.  I don't think I've had so much wine everyday in my life. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, anthonyy7 said:

I passed on your greetings to Galena.  She was very friendly as was the rest of the crew most specially our waiter Richard and CD Camille.  The trip was wonderful with perfect weather throughout.  We were upgraded again to 329 cabin which is above our original.  Vibrations weren't too bad and noise was minimal and as you said it was only 1 night of sailing.  It was the wind that night which was bad and during the following day but manageable.  I don't think I've had so much wine everyday in my life. 

@anthonyy7I still smile when I think about Galena. Despite the mask we could 'hear' her smile every time we chatted with her.  Richard was out waiter too!

I'm glad to hear the noise wasn't too bad. I do think being on the upper deck might have helped a bit. How many guests on the 'Kristina during your cruise? The ship was around 60-65% capacity during our cruise.

LOL.. if you're going to drink wine (and why wouldn't you..?!) France is a pretty good choice. I'm glad to hear your enjoyed your trip! Thanks for the report. 

Paul

We had 83 guests onboard so about 53% capacity.   Whomever has Camille as a CD will be very lucky, she was top notch and was ALWAYS around even popping up on excursions.   She left after our cruise to take the post cruisers to Barcelona then heading to another ship on the Danube I believe. 

• Like 1