Sorry Nat West Black card insurance for P & O again

kentishfred

From my wife's research on cruise critic I know that when the first P & O cruises started there was a lot of questions asked about Nat West Black card insurance. However I cannot find the relevant threads. So at the risk of covering old ground can any one let me know their experiences.

i.e. Was there any problems at the terminal, what documents were required, do I have to get anything extra added by the insurer etc

Thank you

On 8/27/2021 at 10:05 AM, kentishfred said:

From my wife's research on cruise critic I know that when the first P & O cruises started there was a lot of questions asked about Nat West Black card insurance. However I cannot find the relevant threads. So at the risk of covering old ground can any one let me know their experiences.

i.e. Was there any problems at the terminal, what documents were required, do I have to get anything extra added by the insurer etc

Thank you

I would be interested in this too. I phoned up Natwest and initially the lady I spoke to said it wouldnt be covered but when I clarified it was a staycation she said it would. She didnt seem that sure though so it didnt fill me with confidence.

In terms of documents we only have the certificate that we got when we opened the account about 10 years ago and doesnt have our name on it I dont think, so was womdering what to take as evidence also..

We bank with HSBC and have insurance with them.I think so many people have enquired about staycations that now if someone contact s them (which we have done) they will provide a printed letter(or email which we have printed off)It states that we have a certain bank account with them which includes travel insurance.It also states our names and dates of birth and there is a date at the top  of the email.(We are going to take a copy of our recent bank statement to show the account still exists.You may find that Natwest will do something similar.

We received a letter from Natwest back in May confirming they had extended their cover for UK cruises. The relevant paragraph reads:

UK Cruise

As a result of the Covid-19 pandemic some UK cruise providers now require travel insurance to provide at least £2,000,000 of cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs. In response to this change we are extending our limit for UK cruises departing in 2021. 

This policy will provide cover for emergency medical and repatriation costs up to £10,000,000 when you are travelling on a UK cruise that departs in 2021. The cruise duration must be for a minimum of 2 nights for cover to apply. 

You must ensure you meet all the conditions of carriage for your cruise provider.

I think this was in direct response to the number of queries they were getting about this and there is nothing to suggest that it does not cover staycation cruises. In fact the terms of our NatWest policy seem to cover any UK holiday of three nights or more. We are on Iona in a couple of weeks, and I've printed off a copy of the letter  just for the sake of completeness. 

Thank you for your replies.

I have found that if you visit the Black card website you should be able to print off the insurance document which is about 90 pages long. Also if your insurance is like mine there should also be "letters" to you which you can download which has your name and the dates the insurance runs from. I will certainly be taking hard copies of these to the cruise terminal.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kentishfred said:

Thank you for your replies.

I have found that if you visit the Black card website you should be able to print off the insurance document which is about 90 pages long. Also if your insurance is like mine there should also be "letters" to you which you can download which has your name and the dates the insurance runs from. I will certainly be taking hard copies of these to the cruise terminal.

Hope this helps

Whats the point? If you have purchased the insurance, it can always be checked with the company in case of a need. You dont really need to carry it with you all over the place. Moreover, when you are insured for the trip, your name enters the global data base. 

19 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Whats the point? If you have purchased the insurance, it can always be checked with the company in case of a need. You dont really need to carry it with you all over the place. Moreover, when you are insured for the trip, your name enters the global data base. 

here in the UK with P&O you take and have to pass a lateral flow test before you join the ship. these are carried out just before you embark. You have to have proof of double vaccination before they will even start the process. also you need proof that your insurance, which is compulsory is adequate for covid cover. So now insurance companies provide policy certificates and covering letters which the prudent cruisers make prints of. Imagine the confusion if you have to access the insurers web page delaying people behind you in the queue and there are IT problems, result, no cruise for you.

My understanding is that if it is for a seacation cruise you have to make sure that you have £2mill Health Cover on the Policy, most policies only cover 10K for UK holidays so you need to ask your insurer for a letter to say that you are covered for at least £2mill on a UK Cruise. 

I find the message facility on the Natwest app to be really good - they gave me the number 0800 0327142 or 0141 3490283 to enquire about the travel policy. i rang and within an hour had been emailed a letter specifically addressing cover for cruises etc. I was on Iona's maiden and wasnt asked for this, but understand that this is being spot checked.

S

• Like 1