Harmony Internet for Zoom conference calls?

Just booked our first cruise since pre-covid out of Barcelona!

I've done a search for this but would really welcome some up to date info from anyone who recently sailed onboard Harmony of the Seas.
We are booked onboard September 26th, one of our party will need to log on to several work zoom video calls but they are considering  cancelling due to need to attend these calls. (they are first time cruisers). I have told them their is an option for streaming, in my experience it has always has been good but obviously there are many variables than can effect internet onboard.

I've previously used the onboard VOOM package with no issues for Netflix etc, can any one who has recently been onboard Harmony (or used Zoom onboard) offer any feedback on the internet speed?

The three days in question are actually port days so not sure if that effects the internet onboard at all?

5 minutes ago, 330_cruiser said:

The three days in question are actually port days so not sure if that effects the internet onboard at all?

On port days ask an officer where the closest Internet cafe is in the port area. You may pay a bit to use it, but you will get much better bandwidth.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

On port days ask an officer where the closest Internet cafe is in the port area. You may pay a bit to use it, but you will get much better bandwidth.

Good idea.. just think it's such a shame to cancel when there are potential solutions

11 minutes ago, 330_cruiser said:

Just booked our first cruise since pre-covid out of Barcelona!

I've done a search for this but would really welcome some up to date info from anyone who recently sailed onboard Harmony of the Seas.
We are booked onboard September 26th, one of our party will need to log on to several work zoom video calls but they are considering  cancelling due to need to attend these calls. (they are first time cruisers). I have told them their is an option for streaming, in my experience it has always has been good but obviously there are many variables than can effect internet onboard.

I've previously used the onboard VOOM package with no issues for Netflix etc, can any one who has recently been onboard Harmony (or used Zoom onboard) offer any feedback on the internet speed?

Hi @330_cruiser! :)

We are sailing on the same cruise.

Post your question on this thread: 

I know it says 15 August in the title but it has been continued by posters who are on board at this moment and who have been posting very helpful information. They may be able to give you the information you need.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 330_cruiser said:

Great idea, thanks for the suggestion Fiona. Looking forward to getting back onboard!

You're welcome. :classic_smile:

We are too, although I won't believe it's really happening until I'm standing on the deck watching the ship pull away from the dock. In the meantime every crossable part of me is crossed! :classic_laugh:

Royal is pretty consistently 4 mbps down and 2 mbps up on a per guest basis.  

The real issues you may face are weather and wifi signal strength. 

Some cabins don't enjoy the same wifi coverage as another.  I've been in situations where I can make a wifi call if I stand near the cabin door but if I lay on the bed there is no wifi coverage. 

Rain fade impacts nearly all satellite communication.   If you are lucky there will be heavy rain right when you need to have a zoom call.  There is nothing anyone can do about that.  Luck of the draw.  

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, orville99 said:

but even their “high speed” option is less than 10% the strength (Mbps) of a land based wireless system.

Speed is not really an issue - you can stream decent video at even 1Mbps - the Stream tier of VOOM is 4 Mbps. Latency and the issues addressed in the post above are more important.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal is pretty consistently 4 mbps down and 2 mbps up on a per guest basis.  

The real issues you may face are weather and wifi signal strength. 

Thanks twangster - agree the weather etc can really impact it.. some things are just out of our control!

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Speed is not really an issue - you can stream decent video at even 1Mbps - the Stream tier of VOOM is 4 Mbps. Latency and the issues addressed in the post above are more important.

Thanks Biker19, appreciate your reply. This is not my area of expertise but is streaming something like Netflix equivalent to live video on something like a zoom call?

2 minutes ago, 330_cruiser said:

Thanks Biker19, appreciate your reply. This is not my area of expertise but is streaming something like Netflix equivalent to live video on something like a zoom call?

The latency will be a bigger issue with a VOOM call since that is bi-directional. The incoming video feed from Netflix will likely be a bit more reliable, since that is down only.

• Thanks 1

Harmony uses the newer O3b satellite technology with lower latency (ping).  That makes interactive experiences like voice and video a better experience.

I did a zoom call on another line last week that uses older satellite technology.  Latency was much higher leading to more opportunity to step on each other's conservation but the zoom call worked given I wasn't the primary presenter.  

• Thanks 1

My experience with work while on vacation is that the bandwidth on the ships can be spotty at times and depending on what you are trying to accomplish that's a serious impact.  Ashore may not be much better depending on the port you are in.

If work were a priority, I would pass on the cruise.  Fortunately for me I made it quite clear I was on vacation and although I would try my best, there were no guarantees.  Generally they were happy to have me try and usually things worked better than I expected.  The biggest issue I had was a consistent dropping of my VPN connections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't say anything about the Zoom service but since his Zoom conferences are on port days can't he buy a SIM card and use a local network for internet? Both Spanish or Italian networks work great and he'll certainly have great coverage while docked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...