Thoughts On The Binax Home Test

KennyFla

26 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

It does.  Our bottles had drops left over.

On a side note. We did get dropped on the call for our second test at the point of twirling the swab in the test holes.  We were able to reconnect after about 5 minutes and the test was able to proceed.  It just meant that the time of test developing was longer than 15 minutes.  The test technicians were very understanding and helpful.  It required going in and starting a new test session and explaining to the tech what happened.  The NAVICA app is very smart and the tech saw all the data to proceed.  I was very impressed.

Yikes I would have panicked! Glad you were able to reconnect and continue with another tech. 
So does the tech stay on the call with you  until the results show up?

52 minutes ago, styles27 said:

So does the tech stay on the call with you  until the results show up?

No, you have two different sessions. One leads you up through starting a 15 minute timer, and then a different once after 15 minutes is up.

Now, some may wonder - how do they know you didn't stick a "Negative" test card in place for the second session. Answer: This is a QR code that is scanned in both sessions (ostensibly).

Edited by publicpersona
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

No, you have two different sessions. One leads you up through starting a 15 minute timer, and then a different once after 15 minutes is up.

Now, some may wonder - how do they know you didn't stick a "Negative" test card in place for the second session. Answer: This is a QR code that is scanned in both sessions (ostensibly).

Great info thank you!

2 hours ago, publicpersona said:

When I did mine, the first agent instructed me to leave the card in sight of the camera for the duration of the 15 minute wait time. The implication was that it could be monitored.

• Like 2

Is it two days or 48 hours?  

We cruise on Saturday so as long as the test is dated for the Thursday before is that okay or do I need to schedule it based on boarding time? 

We don't cruise until April so i know this could change but need clarity on which it is as I look for flights, etc.  I am sure our flights will be booked long before the boarding time.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:46 PM, MonsterJoe said:

I just finished the test this morning.

Can confirm: You can use the tests for different people, regardless of who purchased them - other adults need their own Navica/emed accounts.  Children and other people you health proxy for can be added via the app.

I saw on Youtube that people experienced queues.  For us, around 9am (East Coast) we experienced zero wait time.

Do you know what the hours of testing are?  I can't find that anywhere and would help as I look to book flights.  Thanks

47 minutes ago, renysmom said:

Is it two days or 48 hours?  

We cruise on Saturday so as long as the test is dated for the Thursday before is that okay or do I need to schedule it based on boarding time? 

We don't cruise until April so i know this could change but need clarity on which it is as I look for flights, etc.  I am sure our flights will be booked long before the boarding time.

Currently, fully vaccinated guests test 2 DAYS before embarkation .

Two days prior. Time of day doesn’t enter picture. For a Saturday cruise, you could conceivably test at 12:01 AM Thursday.

As far as has been reported, tests are available 24/7.

Interesting data point about being asked to leave camera showing card in frame for the 15 minutes. For each of our tests, we were using an IPhone and we definitely just laid it on the counter face up showing nothing but ceiling for the 15 minutes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, happy cruzin said:

Yeah…I’m trying to figure out what to do for our B2B in November!!

We can certainly test before the first week. But I can’t seem to get a clear answer about the testing process or requirement for the second week.

DO NOT want to be told on embarkation day of the second week that we have to get off and find a test to reboard!  😬

I called last week and also saw a post from someone currently on a B2B, who both said MSC will do the testing in-between.  The person currently sailing also said it was the swab that reaches deep - not just the front of the nostril.  

Just a heads up for U.S. travelers on upcoming Mediterranean sailings, MSC just updated (on Oct 1) the Health Protocols on their website and it no longer states that Antigen (Binax Ag) will be accepted as a negative test at the pier.  In fact, all mentions of the antigen tests including the links to Abbott Binax and eMed.com that used to be there have all been removed and now it states:

“PROOF OF NEGATIVE TEST REQUIRED: All guests 2 years and older must provide documentation of a negative RT-PCR test at the pier. The test must be taken within 3 days of departure and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. “

Here is the LINK: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/mediterranean

And the validity window was expanded from 2 days prior to embarkation to now 3. 

We already bought a six-pack of monitored at-home antigen tests for $150 planning to use them to provide our negative test results at the pier, but now we’re going to have to book PCR tests and spend another $300. *face palm*

I guess I should just be glad I’ve been checking their boarding requirements page…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SunnyCAGirl said:

Just a heads up for U.S. travelers on upcoming Mediterranean sailings, MSC just updated (on Oct 1) the Health Protocols on their website and it no longer states that Antigen (Binax Ag) will be accepted as a negative test at the pier.  In fact, all mentions of the antigen tests including the links to Abbott Binax and eMed.com that used to be there have all been removed and now it states:

“PROOF OF NEGATIVE TEST REQUIRED: All guests 2 years and older must provide documentation of a negative RT-PCR test at the pier. The test must be taken within 3 days of departure and the guest is responsible for the test and cost. “

Here is the LINK: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures/mediterranean

And the validity window was expanded from 2 days prior to embarkation to now 3. 

We already bought a six-pack of monitored at-home antigen tests for $150 planning to use them to provide our negative test results at the pier, but now we’re going to have to book PCR tests and spend another $300. *face palm*

I guess I should just be glad I’ve been checking their boarding requirements page…

If you bought them from emed they are returnable.
I saved all of my packaging just in case things change before my 11/14 Caribbean/Bahamas cruise 

Will you be able to test here in the states before you fly?

50 minutes ago, styles27 said:

If you bought them from emed they are returnable.
I saved all of my packaging just in case things change before my 11/14 Caribbean/Bahamas cruise 

Will you be able to test here in the states before you fly?

Ok good to know!  We did buy them from eMed, but I’m assuming we’d have to return all 6 or none at all since we bought them as a pack? 

We leave on 10/15, so thankfully we had plenty of time to book PCR appts within the 3 day pre-embarkation window.  But I’m so glad I checked when I did because we would have arrived to the pier in Barcelona with our antigen test results and been told they didn’t count.

We decided we’re going to bring a couple of the antigen tests with us as a backup for flying back to the US since they do still accept that kind for re-entry into the country. That way if for some reason we can’t get a test on the ship before disembarking on the final day or we get stuck in Barcelona past the 3-day window for some reason we’ll still have a DIY testing option to fly home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SunnyCAGirl said:

Ok good to know!  We did buy them from eMed, but I’m assuming we’d have to return all 6 or none at all since we bought them as a pack? 

We leave on 10/15, so thankfully we had plenty of time to book PCR appts within the 3 day pre-embarkation window.  But I’m so glad I checked when I did because we would have arrived to the pier in Barcelona with our antigen test results and been told they didn’t count.

We decided we’re going to bring a couple of the antigen tests with us as a backup for flying back to the US since they do still accept that kind for re-entry into the country. That way if for some reason we can’t get a test on the ship before disembarking on the final day or we get stuck in Barcelona past the 3-day window for some reason we’ll still have a DIY testing option to fly home.

Oh good I’m glad the timeframe works for you. 
That’s a good idea about bringing a couple of tests with you for testing.

I agree, I would guess we’d have to return all 6. 

Never has planning a cruise been as crazy as it is now that’s for sure. 

Safe travels to you and I hope you have a great cruise! I’m sure you will! Our last cruise before the pandemic was a Mediterranean cruise on Divina and it was spectacular!

13 hours ago, styles27 said:

Oh good I’m glad the timeframe works for you. 
That’s a good idea about bringing a couple of tests with you for testing.

I agree, I would guess we’d have to return all 6. 

Never has planning a cruise been as crazy as it is now that’s for sure. 

Safe travels to you and I hope you have a great cruise! I’m sure you will! Our last cruise before the pandemic was a Mediterranean cruise on Divina and it was spectacular!

Thanks!  We'll be on the new Seashore ship so we're excited to put it through it's paces. 🙂  

• Like 1